Poll: Is the 2016 F1 Qualifying format better than the 2015 format?

Is the 2016 F1 Qualifying format better than the 2015 format?

• Yes

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • No

Votes: 204 96.2%

• Total voters
Soldato
Seems like there was only two offers on the table, keep to the one in Melbourne or tweak it so that only Q3 was the old version. But there was not the unanimity required for the rule change to the to go to the FIA's World Motor Sport Council.
So in other words the teams messed it up, the FIA have messed it, again. Nobody it seems are listening to the people this really affects, the drivers and the fans, hysterical cockup...

Caporegime
The reverse grid idea won't work while it's impossible to for cars to follow and pass.

Reverse grids work in series where the cars are equal and passing is possible. The impression is reverse grids will see lots of overtaking, when in reality it will see lots of processions with a soundtrack of drivers complaining. Even in the all conquouring Mercedes and with DRS Hamilton struggled to pass anyone once he dropped to 7th.

The only time we see people out of position coming back throgh the field is when they have the opportunity to alter their strategy, usually tyres and aero. That is not possible under normal circumstances. But there in lies the solution. We don't need to break qualifying or artificially screw with the race, what we need is cars lined up on the grid with varying strategies and an ability to pass each other. Nothing fake, nothing artificial, just... Common sense.

I know I suppose.
And 2017 reg changes are going to make it even harder it seems

Boggles the mind

Which we had ground effect etc so could do some sort of reverse grid.
I just don't care so much about fairness now as I want to be entertained

Last 2 years of f1 Really has ruined sport for me
Last season I was moaning about it.. This year I'm putting my moaning into practice!

Soldato
The new qualifying helps the fastest cars get to the front and use less tyres, pointless.

The very least they need to double the amount of time between knockouts and possibly kick two out each time.

Or just be sensible and scrap the whole idea.

Less aero, more mechanical grip and less electronics. People have been banging on about it for years

Caporegime
OP
Trying to make the elimination work is a useless task. No amount of fiddling or over regulation is going to make something that fundamentally won't work work.

The elimination format is 100% useless. It will never work. It needs to be gone. A 2nd weekend of total and utter farcical incompetence is not going to do F1 any favours.

It needs to go. It was a stupid idea when it was conceived and it remains a stupid idea now. Anyone with half a brain, 10 minutes of time to think about it, or who has the ability to simulate it can see that.

Caporegime
OP
Sorry, never really happened in the GE days, it's always difficult to overtake in f1 because it's competitive and the fastest cars get to the front.

The 70s and 80s never saw entire grids covered by less than 4 seconds.

The problem with current F1 is faster cars cannot overtake slower ones, even with assistance.

Caporegime

The problem with current F1 is faster cars cannot overtake slower ones, even with assistance.

Back then the fastest cars were still at the front, it was just the reliability wasn't anything like what it is now. Fields were bigger, to the extent that there was a pre-qualifying in some years but anyone could rock up, pay the entry fee and attempt to qualify if they passed scrutineering. You can't do that now and reliability is streets ahead of what it was.

Soldato

Can't or won't, I suspect a lot more tyre management goes on than is apparent.

In the 80s and 90s , f1 races saw very little over taking that I can remember apart from maybe pit stops.
But there seemed to be more chance of a mistake or a random event.
I would say f1 looks dull now because they don't give the appearance of trying that hard. Personally I suspect it is tyre management, they have a defined combination of laps and speed and chose tyres that give the fastest race time. This means driving slower than the car can go for a lot of the race.

Soldato
Can't or won't, I suspect a lot more tyre management goes on than is apparent.

In the 80s and 90s , f1 races saw very little over taking that I can remember apart from maybe pit stops.
But there seemed to be more chance of a mistake or a random event.
I would say f1 looks dull now because they don't give the appearance of trying that hard. Personally I suspect it is tyre management, they have a defined combination of laps and speed and chose tyres that give the fastest race time. This means driving slower than the car can go for a lot of the race.

The trouble for me seems to be expectation, everyone has suddenly decided that they want a race full of drama and over taking yet my memory of formula one stretching back to the early 90's is it has always been a procession with one team/driver dominating most seasons. It must be the play station generation who's unrealistic expectations have been set by playing to much Forza!

Man of Honour
The trouble for me seems to be expectation, everyone has suddenly decided that they want a race full of drama and over taking yet my memory of formula one stretching back to the early 90's is it has always been a procession with one team/driver dominating most seasons. It must be the play station generation who's unrealistic expectations have been set by playing to much Forza!

I've always said if you want pure racing watch another series.
However there's not much left in f1
We don't have technology development like in the 90s, they aren't interested in making the racing better by limiting aero.
All they want to do is keep adding more and more silly rules.

And yay we have more pointless over taking recently thanks to drs, which just destroys any excitement. Just steam pass with no come back. Would rather less over takes but enjoy them.

Soldato

That's partly it, in my view, but not the full story.

Yes, there is a generational change. Shorter attention spans, expectation of instant and constant action etc - that's just the way things move on. F1 hasn't adapted particularly well though. It's less accessible for the casual viewer's discretionary time and money, and adding a few extra races each year in increasingly bizarre locations isn't a successful strategy.

At the same time the technological and development battle that F1 has always had has been completely hamstrung. Restricted testing, restricted development and since the 1.6 era, restricted production. Look at McLaren - they responded by hiring the supposed next Adrian Newey from Red Bull and even if he is working magic the package is underpowered and even if Honda can develop their way out of the problem they're restricted in the amount of change they can make.

As much as I love it, F1 has very little appeal to the non-enthusiast, and the enthusiast audience's patience is fast being whittled down to just the hardcore.

If the casual viewer is paying £700 a year subscription or £400 to go to a race, these days they expect guaranteed excitement or drama.

Soldato
I wonder if this aggregate qualifying system (if it gets voted in) will have a little twist that I've not seen anywhere yet...

The two times making up the aggregate have to be consecutive flying laps on the same set of tyres.

A mistake on the first flying lap would have a good chance of having repercussions on the second flying lap. It would also increase the wear on the Q2 set that Q3 qualifiers have to start the race on.

Caporegime
OP
The aggregate rule is designed to do 2 things. Mix up the grid, and force drivers to be on track more during the session.

The latter would mean they would be unlikely to implement a 2 back to back flying lap rule.

Caporegime
OP
The races have been pretty decent this year so far. Having 3 tyre compounds available has made a big difference (obviously, because its along the lines of what everyone has been asking for for years anyway :p).#

Its a shame that most people will be turning away based on the steaming **** that is the continual qualifying debacle.

Caporegime
The aggregate rule is designed to do 2 things. Mix up the grid, and force drivers to be on track more during the session.

The latter would mean they would be unlikely to implement a 2 back to back flying lap rule.

It would mix up the . I'd be happy to see that given a go. With no elimination.

Back
Top Bottom