Is there a better value Android tablet out there than the Nexus 9??

Soldato
As title I'm thinking of getting hold of a new tablet to replace my ageing LG G-Pad and the Nexus 9 seems to fit the bill!

I've seen the new Nvidia Shield K1 tab but the 7" screen is putting me off a little as I'm used to the 8.3" screen on my LG slate!

Are there any other tablets out there that I should be considering?

Soldato
So long as you don't mind a little bit of light bleed the Nexus 9 is fantastic and well worth the money imo. cant think of anything else that compares at that price point

Soldato
I use my tablet for videos too which is why I use the tab s 8.4

My mum has the Nexus 9 and that is a better all round tablet for reading and browsing. Nexus 9 has the better speakers but the tab s has an awesome screen.

Soldato
OP
Can someone explain to me the current range from Samsung?? There just seems to be an endless list of tablets - "S" and non-S models and then the S2 models in varying sizes?!?!? Which are the best to be looking at these days??

Associate
Can someone explain to me the current range from Samsung?? There just seems to be an endless list of tablets - "S" and non-S models and then the S2 models in varying sizes?!?!? Which are the best to be looking at these days??

Galaxy Tab S2 8"
Galaxy Tab S2 9.7”

Soldato
OP
Thanks! I was getting a bit confused between the tab, tab 2, tab s2, tab a, tab e etc etc etc....

I'm assuming at north of £300 (or nearer £400 in the case of the 9.7" model) these aren't that much better than the sub-£200 Nexus 9??

Soldato
Samsung tablets vary massively. original tab S is 16:9, S2 is 4:3. The party trick of Tab S is the screen, it's a sAMOLED panel with a very high resolution, the processors are typically average. What's the use case of the tablet? Raw power, video playback, gaming etc..?

Soldato
OP
Just a heads up, the nVidia shield has an 8" screen not 7" as stated in the OP.

Yeah just noticed that! I was sure I'd read it was a 7" screen somewhere!!

Usage-wise it tends to be used for streaming video content from my NAS via Plex and general internet browsing - not much of a tablet gamer to be honest as I've got my PC and PS4 for that!

Associate
Yeah just noticed that! I was sure I'd read it was a 7" screen somewhere!!

Usage-wise it tends to be used for streaming video content from my NAS via Plex and general internet browsing - not much of a tablet gamer to be honest as I've got my PC and PS4 for that!

Front facing speakers on the Shield as well. Only stating this as you've said its for mainly streaming media content.

I've got one being delivered today, sadly it's not for me.

Associate
Thanks! I was getting a bit confused between the tab, tab 2, tab s2, tab a, tab e etc etc etc....

I'm assuming at north of £300 (or nearer £400 in the case of the 9.7" model) these aren't that much better than the sub-£200 Nexus 9??

They love churning out new devices every week.

I would say go for the S2 but wait a few days for the black Friday sales, im sure it will get a nice price drop.

Soldato
OP
Hmmm, torn between the following

• Nvidia Shield K1 @ circa £150
  • Nexus 9 @ circa £190
  • Galaxy Tab S2 (8") @ circa £300 (or lower depending on the mythical Black Friday deals :p)

A micro SD card slot would be an advantage but not a deal-breaker as I tend to stream straight from the NAS!

Soldato
Nexus 9 or if you can get one cheap the old Samsung galaxy tab s, I use a galaxy tab pro so would recommend the samsung line to anyone

Back
Top Bottom