It's too hot :(

Associate
I was able to do some gardening tonight after finishing work, that's why I love the summer. I can get up before 6am and it's light, and I can finish work at 6pm and it's still light. Why anyone would prefer the cold and winter over that I have no idea!
Who likes the cold and dark of winter, certainly not me( go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, having to walk the dog in the cold, especially when he stops to sniff everything ). I love the long summer days just not the heat.

Soldato
I got home from the pub (sober) last night at like 11:30 and decided I was going to buy a portable air con unit. My wife is having a hard time sleeping and I don't like that, so it's finally time to buy one. I identified the one I wanted (link) and this morning first thing, went to buy it. The price has gone up from £260 to £300! Not impressed, to the point where I'll not buy this one out of principle. I have tried to contact the seller, so let's see what they respond with.
If you look at the price history on that it started at £399 in Januay then dropped to £299 in March. They then obviously put it on a sale price at £270 for about a month before putting the price back up. Nothing unusual for Amazon :)

Man of Honour
Amazon have a bad habit lately of putting something at say £270 for awhile, then putting it up to £300 for a couple of days then going "big sale" here is a token for £30 off like it is some amazing new price...

Last edited:
Soldato
I still do what I normally do (dojo, gym, time with the kids), it's just SO much more enjoyable when you're not cold.
I wouldnt be cold but the air would be. Give me a cold sunny winter day over a sunny 30c summer day everytime.

I think 25c is fine as long as we also get some rain. Recent summers are just baking hot or cloudy and dry. Here at least...

Last edited:
Soldato
Who likes the cold and dark of winter, certainly not me( go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, having to walk the dog in the cold, especially when he stops to sniff everything ). I love the long summer days just not the heat.
I love it. Most of the scally families around me stay indoors, and don't have their music blasting, kids screaming, and dogs fighting. I also don't have to deal with the house always being too hot, when opening the window to try and cool it down lets in all the noise of the road and aforementioned scally families, and pollen making my life difficult.

Caporegime
Yep.

Or according to robfosters you're just a fatty :)
I probably am by turn of the century standards, but at 30" waist I'm probably considered anorexic these days. :D

I just happen to naturally run hot.

If it is so hot that you need aircon and/or a pool to feel comfortable, then it's too hot. *eyes up the new Meaco megafan*

Soldato
Any recommendations on Aircon units guys?
Much of a muchness if you're looking at "portable" units - they're all pretty noisy and you'll need an open window to get the hose out of. Expect the £250-400 ballpark.

If you're happy to splash a few grand and get a proper AC setup, look at the "Split Air Con" thread in Home & Garden forum

Last edited:
Soldato
If you look at the price history on that it started at £399 in Januay then dropped to £299 in March. They then obviously put it on a sale price at £270 for about a month before putting the price back up. Nothing unusual for Amazon :)

Hopefully I can get a voucher again to put it back down to £270! I know it's not unusual but it's annoying that it happened overnight.

Soldato
I still do what I normally do (dojo, gym, time with the kids), it's just SO much more enjoyable when you're not cold.

disagree with the gym part unless you have one with full on AC, its not enjoyable when its warmer, end up over heating / sweating which does effect you pushing as much thats pretty much with any activity with intensity , much better when its colder

imo its easier to warm up and stay comfortable over trying to stay cool and comfortable

Last edited:
Soldato
Why anyone would prefer the cold and winter over that I have no idea!

Who likes the cold and dark of winter,
*Raises hand*

I love snow. I love crisp air. I love dark mornings and evenings when you can see the stars.

But if your talking about 'winter' which is just damp and overcast well, that's not winter and it's just stupid but it's quite often what we get here unfortunately.

Actually, I think what I like are actual seasons. Proper distinguishable seasons. Although I must admit I find in more difficult to keep cool in summer than keep warm in winter.

Anything over 30 degrees can do one though. :)

Soldato
Any recommendations on Aircon units guys?
We've had 4 different brands of portable AC units.

The best one for it's footprint/noise (still noisy though!) is the Rhino AC12000.. They had these on offer 2 years ago for £250.. they are now £350ish..

We basically bought some for the kids rooms so tried different ones out, the main thing is footprint, and how the air is directed out to the room, the Rhino one has electrical louvres which can be adjusted via remote and seems to fit in perfectly..

That and a ceiling fan is a amazing in the hot weather, the ceiling fan will circulate the lovely cool air all over the room.

Associate
Much of a muchness if you're looking at "portable" units - they're all pretty noisy and you'll need an open window to get the hose out of. Expect the £250-400 ballpark.

If you're happy to splash a few grand and get a proper AC setup, look at the "Split Air Con" thread in Home & Garden forum
Full aircon is definitely on the cards, we're potentially looking at an extension in the next couple years so a mobile unit would suffice for now.

Associate
We've had 4 different brands of portable AC units.

The best one for it's footprint/noise (still noisy though!) is the Rhino AC12000.. They had these on offer 2 years ago for £250.. they are now £350ish..

We basically bought some for the kids rooms so tried different ones out, the main thing is footprint, and how the air is directed out to the room, the Rhino one has electrical louvres which can be adjusted via remote and seems to fit in perfectly..

That and a ceiling fan is a amazing in the hot weather, the ceiling fan will circulate the lovely cool air all over the room.
I never thought of a Ceiling fan to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom