Ivan Toney banned for 8 months

Don
I know there was a huge number of incidents but if, as reported, none of those incidents involved bets placed on matches involving him or transfers involving him then that seems excessive.

The likes of Sturridge and Trippier received far shorter bans for encouraging friends and or family to bet on their transfers which for me is far more serious than Toney betting on a match that he had nothing to do with.

Caporegime
OP
As he pleaded guilty and accepted the charges, can he appeal against the length of his ban?

Meanwhile City still sit on the verge of a treble and yet to face any kind of recrimination for their multiple serious rule breaks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems a touch excessive when compared to Joey Bartons ban for nearly 6 times the number of breeches, assume he can appeal the length of the ban?

Last edited:
Caporegime
As he pleaded guilty and accepted the charges, can he appeal against the length of his ban?

Meanwhile City still sit on the verge of a treble and yet to face any kind of recrimination for their multiple serious rule breaks.

I don't know how city are getting away with it.
Well...I have an inkling £££

Man of Honour
If they win the league next year they will become the first team in the history of English football to win the league 4 times in a row. Being able to do that whilst under a supposed 100 or so charges is ridiculous.

Soldato
As a Brentford fan I can safely say that impact of his ban will be fairly significant but it's by no means disastrous. We've had Toney missing from three games this season - two of which we won, including beating Liverpool, and the third we conceded a comical OG in injury time against Forest resulting in a draw. In each games we paired Wissa and Mbuemo as a replacement strike force and in each games they both scored.

We've lost our top scorers in recent seasons - Maupay to BHA and Watkins to Villa - and have always improved, so I'm not too concerned. We've known about him being investigated for well over a year and have planned ahead with the purchase of Schade.

It does seem like an excessive ban, although at this stage we don't know what he was betting on. That Trippier got 10 weeks for passing on privileged information that another person financially benefited from, then Toney must have placed bets on games he was involved in - I've privately heard that he had placed bets on him scoring... but that's not likely to have impacted a game or result (if true). I'd also recently heard from a well-placed fellow Bee that the club would be pleased if the ban came in at 9 months, so this news hasn't particularity surprised me.

At the same time, he's got to accept responsibility for his actions - he's let himself, his teammates and the fans down, but his attitude so far seems to indicate that he knows he's messed up and has to pay the price. I didn't vote for him as POTS recently for this reason - that vote obviously went to Pinnock, the most underrated CB in the league ;) Toneyv has also shot himself in the foot massively as he has developed into an leading striker and arguably one of, if not the best target man in the game. Bah!

It's annoying, as it does unfortunately and perhaps unfairly affect the club - We've not had anything to do with it but are being punished by the loss of one of our best players. Furthermore, it screws his value as at the point he'll return to the game he'll only have 18 months left on his contract.

It's no argument about the ban or that it should lessen the amount of time he's out for, but there's a real problem between the football industry and the betting one. To have betting ads and sponsorships rammed down their throats but to lose a large part of your short career for getting involved seems like an unbalanced environment.

Don
What exactly has he done wrong?
I have read the linked stories but it doesn't explain why he's naughty.
There is a blanket ban on all players, coaching staff and directors from betting on any football match, transfer or any football related issue. Toney's been found guilty of placing 200+ bets, the exact details of those bets aren't known as yet but will likely be detailed in the FA's written reasons for his ban.

Man of Honour
There is a blanket ban on all players, coaching staff and directors from betting on any football match, transfer or any football related issue. Toney's been found guilty of placing 200+ bets, the exact details of those bets aren't known as yet but will likely be detailed in the FA's written reasons for his ban.

Thanks, you'd think it would be OK to bet on matches you aren't involved in.

Man of Honour
While we're on the subject of betting which I've never done in 65 years except Lottery, can somebody explain what the bottom 3 figures mean please?

Manchester City 20:00 Real Madrid Agg:1-1
7/2 Home 8/15 Away 9/2

Back
Top Bottom