I've given up on LPG - the future is Electric.

Soldato
Following on the death of my LPG Audi TT, I had to get a more sensible car.

I now work from home, and most of my driving is around locally - picking the kids up from school, dropping them off at parents etc. I also do a 90 mile commute each way once a week. Also, I have quite a large bank of solar panels on the roof.

I looked at alternatives, but decided on a Nissan Leaf. Mostly based on them being a steal 2nd hand. I read a lot about the cars, batteries, technology etc and test drove and sat in a few at the local Nissan dealer. I decided to up my original budget by a bit so that I could get a Gen 2 Tekna. Mostly as I wanted the more efficient heater and the leather seats.

I toyed between a PCP deal for a 1 year old car with 38k on the clock via a local Nissan dealership and a car up north that was 3 years old with 8k on the clock. Both would be exactly the same per month over the same period - but the PCP would have a final £2.5k payment. So, I went to look at the one up north.

LeafDealer.jpg

The car was exactly as advertised - ie like new. However this meant my first drive of the car was a 268 mile journey. :eek:

Soldato
OP
I'd made a plan A and a plan B - but both centred around my first 'hop' which was 68 miles. After the trip meter saying I had 91 range, I was a bit dissapointed when I got there with the car flashing warnings at me saying I only had 10 miles left.

From there it went downhill, as what I hadn't factored in is that a quick charge only gets you to about 85%, so my original plan had to be revised as I realised my next hops would have to be shorter.

However, as I found, the M1 is actually really well catered for for quick chargers. Although it's £6 a pop, it's better than running dry.

Charge1.jpg
Charge2.jpg

Charge3.jpg
Charge4.jpg

I only had to wait longer than 30 minutes at one charge point when a family in another leaf go to the only working one as I turned up - so had to wait an hour in total there. The bonus was I got to chat with the owner, who'd been driving it for a few years and got a lot of advice on how to drive it etc.

My last hop, I wanted to attempt to get home from Thurrock services to my house, which it 68 miles. A real test based on my previous stops - but if I could make it, it would mean I could use it as a stop on my regular commute (there are a few alternative options).

I used all the new found advice, but it was a real push to actually make it. At one point, the estimated range went down 10 miles shorter than the actual route distance (after a long hill). Fortunately, my parents house is 9 miles closer on the route, so my 'get out of jail free' was to stop there and give a small charge before finishing my journey.

However, by basically driving ridiculously slow (down to 35 in a 50!) I was able to claw it back and at 10 miles to go where I could turn off at my parents house, it said I had 10 miles range. So I went for it.

In short, I made it. Under 9 miles to go, the car stops telling you how far, and just has 3 - symbols. I managed to get home with 3 of them still lit, although it felt way too close for comfort.

I haven't yet fitted a quick charging socket, but did fit a decent external socket with thick core cable the day before - and I was pleased to find that the following morning it has charged fully overnight using a standard 3 pint socket - which means I'm in no immediate rush to get a quick charge point installed.

Now that it's home, I've driven it round locally as a 'normal car' with heating, eco mode turned off etc. It's actually a great drive - and the tech that comes with it is pretty amazing.

However, in some ways, the car IS a huge disappointment. When driven normally - ie without caring about heat, performance etc, the range is probably around 50 miles. 24kw is simply not enough battery. 30kw isn't either. To be a viable proper alternative, I'd say at least 50kw is necessary, maybe even more. If the new 30kw model of Leaf is £1600 more than the 24kw, they should do a 50kw and charge £7000 more.

For us though, this is a second car to take the slack of driving locally - which amount to the majority of our currently driving. It was also incredibly good value - and hopefully will continue to be cheap and good value for many years to come. :)

Soldato
OP
90 mile each way in a leaf once a week, even I think you are mad. Interested to see how you get on with it though.
There is a quick charge point 45 miles from me, and a few slow charging points in the council car parks near where I work - all of which are free to charge and free to park if you're charging an electric car.

So, 45 miles - 20 minutes wait to top up (the last 10 doesn't do much), then continue my journey. Don't have to hypermile, or be too fussy on wasting power.

So, it will cost me £12 a week in 'fuel' - or potentially free if I change my electric supplier to Ecotricity, although their quote worked out £100 more a year. Swings in roundabouts.

Soldato
OP
My employer is moving in the summer and I'll be commuting mainly through the city instead of on the motorway so I've been looking into a BMW i3, but my god they're expensive. However, they have a range of a lot more than 50 miles!

Surely you must be bummed knowing that you'll have to stop to recharge on your commute? How much time will this add each way?
I already stop for over an hour. I leave a 4 to avoid traffic and get through the tunnel before it gets busy.

It's not fun, but it's only once a week. The commute home is pretty much on my own terms. I'll just leave work half an hour earlier. Actually at the moment I park a 20 minute walk away to avoid paying for parking. So actually parking right next to the office will make up some of that time.

Soldato
OP
That ended last year. But it was never "free", they take most of the surplus energy generated as payment for like the next 20 years.
I paid no money, and get my daytime electric covered, or at least reduced. In addition, it keeps the upstairs bedrooms cooler during the summer.

Works for me.

Soldato
OP
It does it sounds absolutely terrible.

There are no arguments for using an electric car at the moment outside of reconciling your own environmental worries.

Here's how everyone else would have done it:

Wanted small Nissan hatchback.

Went and purchased a 2 year old 1.2 Dig-T Nissan duke for 9k

Problem solved
I don't like being everyone else. That's your job (collectively) ;)

Soldato
OP
Bear in mind, that allowing for a 25% thermal efficiency. A 50L tank of hydrocarbon is nearer to the equivalent of 200KWhr.

Internal combustion engines using a hydrocarbon fuel are going to be a very hard act for EV's to even get close to, let alone beat!

No, but a 200 mile range is a lot more palatable.

Soldato
OP
Honda Insight MK1 all the way if you want a "Eco" car. Only downside is it is only two seats. We are seriously considering one as our work horse is in service 24/7 and is used merely as a commuter tool. It is crazy to think that the car is now 17 years old and no one since has really offered something similar at affordable prices like Honda did.

WinterMods.jpg

Been there, done that, and would have loved to keep it. But I now have two children. The lpg Audi replaced that, with the same fuel cost, but more seats and horses.

When i got that I was slated by motors for driving such an ugly, underpowered, ridiculous car. Think of all the amazing cars I could buy for the money etc. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I did say this wasn't only car, didn't I. I'm going to try the commute, but it it's not do-able, I'll use the diesel instead.

Driving locally, which is most of my driving, the range isn't a problem. I've switched it into battery long life mode (80% charge) as I don't need the full range at the moment.

Was nice to turn the heating on from my phone from bed this morning though, while my wife had to use scrapers and lukewarm water on hers.

Soldato
OP
An electric car would be great for my commute (15 miles each way) but the concern would be traffic. If there's an accident I can be in slow moving traffic for quite some time.

How long does a battery last when in traffic that moves just enough that wouldn't turn your engine off.
The heater/ac will use energy, but the drive would probably be more efficient in slow moving traffic than an open road.

Soldato
OP
Well, stage one of the commute was completed without a hitch. Made it to Thurrock with 14 miles to spare on the range (and 20% charge).

The half-hour break was actually very well timed for another type of 'range anxiety'.

Got to Southend after that comfortably, with range to spare to get back to Thurrock in-case all of the free chargers in Southend are busted.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;30385716 said:
Not much margin for error there :eek:
I could have driven more economically, if required. I pass ankther charging station 25 before Thurrock, so worst case scenario I have to stop sooner. But I prefer to get through the tunnel before stopping.

Soldato
OP
Well, week one completed. Absolutely not hassle at all.

The half hour break on the way in was fine. I always have a break on my journey anyway. By the time I'd used the amenities, and had 10 minutes relaxing I was ready to go again.

I had over half a battery left when I got to work, and then I was able to charge for free in Southend without any problem, so the car was fully primed for my journey home.

The recharge point on the journey home is equidistant, so I was able to drive as I would a normal car, heating on, keeping up with traffic. Again, the half hour stop was perfectly well timed, as I could use the amenities, get changed for footie training (where I head after work on a Tuesday), and then continue my journey without having to eek out any efficiencies.

Now I'm back in driving local mode - so eco mode is off, and charging to 80% again.

I do need to travel to Brighton in a few weeks. Looking at the available recharging points - I'll be using an ICE for that journey.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom