JBL Bar 1000 thoughts? And ARC vs eARC latency?

Soldato
Redecorating the living room, and the other half has finally firmly put her foot down about "that massive ugly **** black thing and those ***** speakers", i.e. the AVR in the cabinet under the TV (in fact the whole cabinet is being replaced, by something which won't fit an AVR anyway) and the bookshelf speakers sat either side of it.

My initial thought was "fine, I'll get a smaller AVR which does fit, and some smaller wall mount speakers", but after doing some research, it seems that small AVRs just don't exist (I've found what appear to be suitable speakers; Cambridge Audio Min22)

The space I have to work with is 39.6cm wide x 38cm deep x ~17cm high, and it seems that all AVRs are around ~44cm wide (who the hell designs a TV bench which isn't big enough for what appears to be a standard size?!... but I digress...).

I've since moved on to sound bars; I've tried one before, and while the sound quality was fine (not as good as dedicated speakers/AVR obviously, but good enough), the audio latency killed it for me - I couldn't get it in sync to a satisfactory level via ARC, and there weren't enough inputs to connect everything directly.

"Window shopping" again, and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the JBL Bar 1000, which seems to tick all the boxes, 3 HDMI inputs so I can connect all devices directly (Sky box/Switch/Nvidia Shield), and I like the idea of the removable wireless surrounds, meaning I can have my 5.1 when I want it, without ****ing off the "boss" with wires and "ugly speakers" on the back wall.

The only other option I was wondering about was the difference in latency between ARC and eARC. Current TV only has standard ARC - if it's hugely improved then an excuse to upgrade is always welcome, and opens up a lot more soundbar options, rather than being restricted to the couple of options with more than one input.

Soldato
OP
It's a Denon avr-x540bt, and a pair of mordaunt short m902, the speakers aren't so much the problem, as I can replace those with something smaller/more modern, but I can't find a receiver (or similar functionality device) which fits in the new unit

Soldato
AVR's are generally big, even the Marantz slimline units

Maybe go down to 2.1 with Wiim Amp? Can't get much smaller than that. Or just move your AVR into a room, make it your room and get a soundbar in the main room.

Soldato
OP
If you're dead set on JBL, I'd probably reach for the 1300 instead as it has noticeable improvements over the 1000.

It's also almost 60% more expensive at £1000, VS £640 for the 1000 :(

AVR's are generally big, even the Marantz slimline units

Maybe go down to 2.1 with Wiim Amp? Can't get much smaller than that. Or just move your AVR into a room, make it your room and get a soundbar in the main room.

That's not got HDMI inputs though? So will suffer the same sound latency issues

Soldato
OP
Wiim amp does have ARC.

Doesn't have HDMI inputs and HDMI ouputs, that's why a AVR is useful.

ARC = latency
Standard size AVR = too big

For those reasons, both of those options are a non starter, hence looking for:

- Small AVR
- Soundbar with 3+ HDMI inputs
- Something I haven't thought of which doesn't possess either of the 2 problems mentioned

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom