Jellyfin 24/7 Server Mini PC build advice

Soldato
EDIT: Originally posted this in the NAS sub forum, but I'm thinking a small PC with SSD storage options is all I need?

Hi all.

I recently got into using Jellyfin, rather than play files directly off my PC and cast them to different TV's around the house. After a steep learning curve I have it setup great, but the idea of having my main PC on 24/7 isnt a great idea (with RGB fans, Power use etc), so was looking at all the different options. Honestly I'm over whelmed from Pre built NAS, to Intel Nucs, to just building a second small form PC just for this purpose. I've got two 4tb Sata SSD's + 2tb Sata SSD used for media that can be moved over to this new build, but if I went to one that only had room for one Sata SSD I could buy another 4Tb Nvme and have the similar storage. I generally prefer SSD storage as I'd like a very quiet/silent machine if its on 24/7.

Can someone help me in very basic terms what I'd need. Flexible budget upto around £500? Exlusively for a Jellyfin media server, primarily in my house but a nice extra would be outside the house. All my files are x265 including 4k Encodes (No Remuxs) going primarilty to new LG Oled TV's. Most streams at once will likely be two. Something sleek/adult that would fit in a home theater room, but if everything pointed going to traditional hard drives (even though I have the SSD's I could put it in the back room). Something really easy to use above all else, as you can probably tell I'm a complete beginner (can build PCs etc though).

Thanks for your help. There was just too much to research from compatability, form factors and what would be suitable for my needs etc. I know I'd of been researching days!

Soldato
Are you dead set on doing a complete build? You could probably get away with an 8th Gen / 9th Gen ex-business machine for around £80-150 all-in and use exclusively SSD storage within it. Because they're business machines, they tend to have very little power draw at idle as well.

I have something similar running as a Plex server.

Caporegime
My advice might be out of date but I run an Emby server for an HTPC built in 2018.
  • Fractal Design Node 304 HTPC Chassis
  • Ryzen 2400G
  • Gigabyte AB350N-GAMING WIFI AMD B350
The case and mobo supports 4 SATA hard drives (currently ~23TB in there). It's getting on now but handles everything well - I've had up to 6 streams off it with no issue and this is on dated hardware. You can bag a Ryzen 5600G for ~£100 new. Finding a well priced mobo would be the likely hardest thing, particularly around how many SATA ports it offers. It wasn't too much fuss to build, things are just a bit tight. And with a newer APU - it could double up as a light gaming machine.

Edit - just to give you an idea but on a quick search - struggling to find a case that can support than a couple of HDs and an m-ITX mobo.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £238.97 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Last edited:
Associate
I can recommend a Firebat T8 Pro plus from that big Chinese ali store. I picked mine up for£124 including taxes. delivery was free. Cheap as chips and it has the N100 with has an IGPU, 16gb 4800 DDr5 & 512GB SSD. Its a Bargain, as I have media library on a few usb drives. It's also tiny and it sips power. You can go up in size for other such boxes that allow upgrades, but for my needs it's great. I have sold my Pi4 4gb for £50, as I have moved my pihole to a docker container. It's really a great device. There is a massive thread on HDUK under the Electronics Category. You will see it if you change the best deals filter to month. it's currently at a score of 3297°. I would reinstall windows.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd agree with @kaiserc except I'd pay the tenner extra for a Beelink, personally. The Intel N100 with UHD graphics is good for around ten 1080p streams and three or four 4K to 1080p transcodes. At 25W TDP that's a no-brainer for your use case. Stick with Linux (faster) and make sure you're using something with kernel >6.1 for the drivers to transcode. Ubuntu 22.04 HWE, Debian 12 with backport kernel, or similar will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom