Job - Time Off for moving house - Entitled or Not?

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been in permanent employment now for 1 year and 2 months nearly, and about to move house. Am I entitled by law to have some days off for this?

thanks!

Soldato
OP
Visage said:
Yup - thats about the size of it.

Then I'm stuffed. My boss is very greedy and doesn't like to give out very much. We get minimum holidays already, last year i became father and didn't get a single day paternity leave either. There's a lady working here whom has swellings in her knees and needs a stick to walk, he don't even let her work from home. All she does is read manuscripts, they could send it to her home everyday where she could read them.

I can't wait to hand my notice in this summer!!

Soldato
OP
Visage said:
Isnt 2 weeks paternity leave a legal obligation now?

Yes but a requirement is:

have been with your employer for at least 26 weeks by the end of the 15th week before the beginning of the week when the baby's due and

and I was there for 7 months before the birth, not qualifying. So legally he didn't have to give me anything, but realistically he could have given me a couple of days at least.

Visage said:
Plus you're allowed 26 weeks off before the kids 5th borthday - you could use some of that....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkAndFamilies/DG_10029398

I think you misread that.

Soldato
OP
dirtydog said:
Here. Your response to another poster who suggested moving on the weekend was:

Ehm... I think your IQ is now dropping to it's lowest ever....

I commented that it was a "bigger" move, i never said i would prefer or want to do this during week or weekend.

Soldato
OP
stoofa said:
There is a reason why something like 95% of Contract Exchanges (on house purchases) go through on a Friday - so people can move over a weekend.

Anyway, thread has been done to death.
Legally your entitled to nothing.
You've got your legal holiday allowance and thatls about it.
Sick day is a possability, just make sure there is no chance your boss could have any idea you'd only be "pulling a sicky" as it could be classed as gross misconduct to go off sick and then move.
It would solve the lack of holidays from work, alas on a perminent basis.

thanks for the constructive advise - I'll take a few extra days holiday entitlement for this then.

Back
Top Bottom