Jury Service (Do NOT turn this into a 'how to get out of jury service' thread)

Soldato
r. He had to be there for 9am and he and his fellow jurors didn't get called into the court til around 11:30am. That's for 3 days in a row. Someone asked could they turn up later, no was the answer. As with the school traffic the time to travel there is doubled.
Unfortunately the ushers simply don’t know when the court will require the jury. It’s down to the judge and dependent on what is going on in the court at that time. I can totally understand that. It might be as basic as something coming up that needs arguing for an extra 30mins, checking the law (!!) who knows. I totally understand why.

Soldato
Oh there's a thread for this. I've started my jury service today. First time being called. I had to defer it from earlier in the year which was a lot easier to do than I was expecting.

Was due to go today although I got an email on Friday evening saying not to attend court and to wait until further notification to attend, so all my prep to be off work for two weeks ended up not being so necessary as I can actually work today and perhaps more days this week.
At the moment the limbo of not knowing when I will get called to attend is kind of annoying, that and it's due to be a 1h+ commute each way to the court. :(

Reading some comments here I will have to make sure I take my own food/drink and not rely on something being available. :D

Soldato
Finally got emailed to attend from today. Didn't have to start until the afternoon then after all the introduction ended up waiting and not doing anything. Don't need to go tomorrow so will be waiting again to see if I have to attend next week!

At least I should qualify for the carparking to be covered and lunch. :D

Associate
I am due for my service, what do people do when they are waiting to be called?
Take laptop along to browse or work.

I got called when I was 18. Was a pretty interesting experience although one of two cases was grim. Met some other people around my age and we went to the pub for lunch every day.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am due for my service, what do people do when they are waiting to be called?
Take whatever personal entertainment you like; laptop/tablet/phone/handheld console/book etc.
I had made sure my Switch was charged and got my Kindle ready, but for the one afternoon so far I just listened to podcasts and scrolled my phone.

My court had a bookcase with books and even a couple of jigsaw puzzles that the Jury Officer joked about showing an indication of how much waiting there can be.

Apparently there was wifi available, but there seemed to be limited power outlets in the small ‘waiting’ area we were in. The chairs were also not that comfy.
I realise all courts will be different regarding this though.

Last edited:
Associate
Take whatever personal entertainment you like; laptop/tablet/phone/handheld console/book etc.
I had made sure my Switch was charged and got my Kindle ready, but for the one afternoon so far I just listened to podcasts and scrolled my phone.

My court had a bookcase with books and even a couple of jigsaw puzzles that the Jury Officer joked about showing an indication of how much waiting there can be.

Apparently there was wifi available, but there seemed to be limited power outlets in the small ‘waiting’ area we were in. The chairs were also not that comfy.
I realise all courts will be different regarding this though.
I took a Switch too when I went but similarly just ended up on the phone a lot listening to podcasts. I signed up for the wifi and it had a regular workplace type block in place with things like gaming and streaming mostly limited.

Soldato
I've been summoned for jury duty later in the year, 1st time , looking at the thread for tips , definitely taking kindle

Definitely take a Kindle or anything else.

I ended up not serving on a jury despite being up for selection twice as they replaced some jurors selected first. Only actually attended the court for two days of my two weeks.

Actually need to remember I still need to post my expenses claim off.

Soldato
moved mine on 11 months as a bad time for time off with our small team, it was very easy to get through to phone line and sort a new date, guessing you have to see pics of injuries ect in court ? asking as i am a bit pathetic with blood ect and knowing its real with real people i may end up flat on my back

Back
Top Bottom