Kerbal Space Program

Soldato
Do you have a lot of contract packs installed they cause the lag quite a lot, also grab https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.co...8-12x13-memgraph-1103-with-stutter-reduction/
Enable it and it reduces garbage collection (Unity thing which this game suffers from a lot), certain mods introduce a lot of extra garbage and the contract packs are pretty bad for it. You can also edit the config sizes in memgraph to help more (read that thread).

I do indeed have the whole community contract pack shebang, but dont really use them now as i've the fund/rep rewards set very generous as its more for focusing on the science.

Guess i can pull all the contract packs as im not using them.

I had a crack at the welding mod, but seems it needs a bit more thought for it before using it with things like legs and wheels and things.

Currently the worst place is my minmus base, as i have a refinery, a truck, 2 ore trailer and a very outdated base. Might destroy the base and refinery (because it's got the wrong refinery on it) and replace them with a better designed base thats welded together.

I'm also after grabbing a huge steroid and making a space station from it.

Soldato
Getting back into this after years away from it...

Forgotten just how much fun it is!!!

It is very fun! I gave myself a list of things to do in sequence after putting the foundation block of a space station around the mun getting to the fun part now!

DONE #1 Relay network around minmus to maintain comunication with deep space gateway.
DONE #2 Expand deep space gateway to accomadate more fuel, larger ships and (minimum 2) kerbin return vehicles.
DONE #3 Send 1 uncrewed kerbin return vehicle to deep space gateway
DONE #4 Create mun lander (3 crew) capable of refuel on the mun to be fully reusable and stored on the deep space gateway for regular mun missions.
DONE #5 Send unmanned Mun lander to be stored on the deep space gateway.
DONE #6 Send crewed kerbin return vehicle to deep space gateway
DONE #7 Create deep space gateway refuel vessel. ( expendable (crash into mun))
DONE #8 Fully refuel all vessles and deep space gateway with liquid fuel, oxidiser and monopropelant.
#9 Unmanned test land of mun lander, followed by attempted re encounter with deep space gateway + docking.
#10 If #9 Successfull in all areas FIRST MANNED MUN MISSION.

There was a few bits of this with the refuel craft
bD1cjmN.jpg

FI9O1Xi.jpg
but there it is docked with the station, ample headroom on fuel, so much so i have decided to keep it attached as i could refuel the entire station again with it before i need to send another. Two Kerbin return vehciels and the mun lander re both present in this picture. The return vehicles are propulsive landers and come with no chutes.

r8ZT5xw.jpg

The above is the kerbals loaded onto the mun lander. I only wanted a small light design but had a personal requirement of a 3 crew landing. Given this craft will always be outside of atmosphere i decided to have two of the kerbals sit outside the craft. ( just to clarify this craft never flew to the station with the kerbals boarded i used a remote guidance unit.

Upon completing #10 on my list i will be returning them to kerbin, i think after that i will do a video of take off from kerbin - docking to the station - using the mun lander - returning to kerbin.

Soldato
Well i was going to wait but i have been really enjoying ksp of late so i decided to finish of my list.

Did a remote landing on the mun lander and all went well ( apart from landing with only 14 fuel left due to a few aborts after issues with steep terrain ) Nice to know i have that fuel headroom though!

After mining and converting ore into fuel i rendezvoused with the station and re docked and immediately loaded the Kerbals up! Landed this time with more fuel as only had one abort. If i was on steep terrain the second time i would have gone back to orbit to avoid potentially killing them.

sEpoUSn.jpg

After successfully getting the kerbals back to the station i put them into one of the kerbin return vehicles and sent them home.

This is by far my most proud kerbal moment as not only did i take them home with just propulsive landing. I got them back to the launch pad! ( with a bit of help from the trajectories mod )

oqM4Y65.jpg

Soldato
Anyone still play this?

After watching Scott Manley's "runway project" set of YouTube my son and I have been giving this a go ourselves.

Building planes with certain rules, then letting the AI pitch them up against each other in a dogfight.

Good fun!

Soldato
Just started again, trying with Kerbalism mod just to make it even more frustrating.

Mod looks evil to be honest, if you screw up with Kerbals in space 9 times out of 10 you can salvage with a rescue mission, but if there is a time constraint also......

I haven't modded the game much at all though, I put the BD Armoury mod after watching Scott Manley's Runway Project, and the EVE visual mod but that's it.

Soldato
Mod looks evil to be honest, if you screw up with Kerbals in space 9 times out of 10 you can salvage with a rescue mission, but if there is a time constraint also......

I haven't modded the game much at all though, I put the BD Armoury mod after watching Scott Manley's Runway Project, and the EVE visual mod but that's it.

Trajectories is a nice mod if you want any more landing precision for rockets.

I did once use one of the realism overhauls to do a start to finish saturn V moon mission. Was extremely satisfying but i did have that as a separate install because it does take away from the original kerbal experience.

Associate

Actually really enjoying it, makes it a whole lot more interesting, can be frustrating when you go to start a burn and your engine breaks though @$%&#! Oh, you can also only use an engine for X tome or X amount of starts, makes you have to plan properly.

just a year 2.5 and only just have put a Kerbol around the Mun. Everything else was probes or in LKO. Mission to have a Kerbol in orbit around Kerbin was worrying! Luckily had just enough food and water and air, they got a bit over-irradiated though!

Associate
Trajectories is a nice mod if you want any more landing precision for rockets.

I did once use one of the realism overhauls to do a start to finish saturn V moon mission. Was extremely satisfying but i did have that as a separate install because it does take away from the original kerbal experience.
That’s why I used Kerbalism, still keeps it Kerbal orientated.

Associate
So I have managed Kerbal landings on both the Mun and Minimus and didn’t lose anyone, going to try and build a space station in LKO and see if I can keep it stocked with regular supply drops, then will investigate how I get 3 of them on a trip to Duna and them not starve, suffocate, die of radiation poisoning, or go insane due to the cramped living space.

very fun mod.

Back
Top Bottom