Last Epoch - aRPG (Kickstarter Demo available)

Soldato
****> Official Website <*** updated <---

2021 ... some upto date gameplay footage

A new funded aRPG > Website <

There is a demo that anyone can download and try out now. Roughly 2gig in size.

It plays well and looks like a combo of PoE(Very similar UI+GFX) and Diablo 3 with plenty of customisation.

Not brilliant but not too shabby, could be one to watch if you like this type of game.

Last edited:
Soldato
I shall be backing this. Thanks for the Heads up.

I've been playing D3 a fair bit again recently(I'm by no means any kind of serious player though!). When you're in the mood for a good ARPG they are great fun, but I always wish they focused a bit more on story. Looks like this will to some extent.

Associate
Played a bit tonight, only got to about the 5th teleport Trollwood? anyway like what I see so far, no bugs yet that I've seen (game bugs, seen plenty of the type that try to kill me :))

Associate
Playing the beta the last few days and its fantastic.
Animations and sounds need work but the core combat is excellent.
The skills system is a breath of fresh air making for some really diverse build possibilities.
It even has two endgame features already, namely a mapping system similar to poe and an arena.
I see a lot of the grim dawn and poe streamers are really getting onboard, its going down really well with both communities.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I have only played grimdawn arpg, the controls feel clunky for want of a better word .

Going to follow with interest though

Associate
I've been playing it on/off for a little while now and it's pretty much my go to if I'm burnt out from POE. It's getting better with every update and is on track to be the perfect in-between game for me, I'm pretty sure they mentioned that this was the niche they were trying to target too, a smart approach given what they are going up against tbh.

Gameplay wise I would agree that it sits in between D3 and POE in terms of complexity, a thing to note is that this a much slower paced game, pack density isn't insane, bosses have a good amount of health and damage scaling is pretty gradual. It's more geared to using multiple skills and finding good synergies between the various options in the skill, passive trees and gear, rather than just having a single skill that will reliably nuke everything on screen. It's one of the best I've played for going in blind without any build guides and seeing what you can cook up. It's very forgiving in that you can respec skills at any time and experiment, by late endgame it's literally a couple of minutes of a job to get everything levelled back up again.

Content wise it's ok in the current state, the story mode abruptly ends as things are starting to get more interesting & difficult, but as per the roadmap above they're still working on the rest. It can be completed relatively quickly and doesn't feel like a slog at the moment. End game mapping is decent and rewards you for trying to push as much as you can, it's better than D3 and much less complex than POE, but does need some more variety in future updates I feel. It will be interesting where they take it as one of the bosses they added recently has some cool concepts around it (Boss has a massive move pool but selects several at random for each encounter).

There's also an endless arena mode fighting waves of enemies, basic but it's always a nice alternative and a good way to test builds.

Crafting is easy to understand and rewarding once you know what direction you want your build to take, the loot filter options are great, performance is decent. Overall it's a good little package at the moment, worthy of a try if you like these kind of games.

Back
Top Bottom