Lenovo Legion Go

Man of Honour
I'm flipflopping on going in on the Legion Go.
In terms of bang for your buck, how does the LeGo as an all-in-one stack up vs going for a budget mobo/CPU/ram/GPU at a similiar price point?

Tbh my use case is more about budget first, as most of the fund for this will come through retailer specific discounts & vouchers via work. This restricts where I can buy to places like Currys/Argos - you work with what you can get right.
In terms of actually using the device I would be mostly plugged in for gaming on a 4k 60hz tv for games such as Elden Ring, Baldurs Gate 3, Hogwarts Legacy, RDR2. I'm not expecting the LeGo to go to 4k and would stick with 1440 or 1080, wherever frame rates can be relatively smooth.
I regularly make 3hr train journeys, so the portability for gaming & movies would be a bonus but is not my primary driver.

I would not rank the Go highly as a value proposition - you can build a budget PC at the same price point which would be considerably better for games like Hogwarts Legacy.

Soldato
Yeah, I'd just build a PC and watch movies on your phone for that train journey. Maybe get a small retro handheld if you really want to game.
Buying it to primarily be a plugged in experience would not be a good plan, and doubly so for those mentioned games. As far as I'm aware, there's still no battery bypass for this device either, which would be bad times for always plugged in.

Playing the Planet Crafter I've noticed issues with (I think) the latest BIOS moving the device to STAPM. Twice the whole device just went to ultra slowdown mode after playing for a while, the second time needing me to hold power button to get it to turn off. Changing this mode to STT seemed to resolve the issue (although it did come up with a chipset driver reinstall in Legion Space). Since changing this, the issue has not repeated.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As far as I'm aware, there's still no battery bypass for this device either, which would be bad times for always plugged in.

What do you mean by that? it appears to correctly manage charging the battery and running off AC with a 100 watt charger connected.

Unless you mean being able to bypass battery at an arbitrary percent charge.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just going by what I read online, but that could very well be tripe! I haven't kept mine connected to my screen for too long, in fear of wrecking another handheld battery. :D

People have reported it constantly cycling the battery from 94% to full under heavy load on the original 65 watt charger and/or other charging settings causing undesirable wear. I've not seen it doing that plugged in with 100 watt PD, I've not used it for longer periods plugged in on the provided charger (my battery is still showing 0% wear and over 50Wh capacity after months of use).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How easy was it to get an EGPU running on this? Worth it ?

A bit of messing about with drivers but not too bad, there seems to be some power management issues though - unless you run the GPU at full power or mess about with notebook drivers for the GPU it sometimes locks up at idle. Some people have found the drivers for the add-in NIC and USB card on the Razer one unstable but I've not had a problem with that so far.

Soldato
Put my Steam deck up for sale (USA.. so no threat to OCUK lol)... and was looking at the Go to replace it. I barely touched the Steam Deck, as I just use my gaming PC. I couldn't use Fusion 360 on the steam deck either, so the Legion interests me when I'm away.

The legion should technically perform better than the Ally due to higher memory speeds. A ton of mods for both. I like the bigger screen on the GO, since this year, my eyesight started to have focus issues up close.

Price still seems a little high though, and I missed the recent sale.

Man of Honour
Screen is nice on the Go but a real shame they didn't use a VRR one, I'm hoping they come out with a version 2 with a few improvements like that.

Have to be honest gaming use on my Go is relatively infrequent - much more I use it with the kickstand out, joycons off and watching YouTube or something like that. It is also quite capable for desktop productivity tasks, etc. as the CPU is no slouch - I'm often using it with a USB4 hub to connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor instead of toting a laptop around.

Soldato
I'd guess Lenovo will respond to that spec-bumped Ally soon enough? Might be worth holding off. Then again, sometimes good to just jump in without waiting.

I find the screen on the Legion Go to be pretty fantastic. It's big enough that I don't feel like I'm missing out playing on it, over my dust gathering ultrawide/desktop.
Coming from a smaller OLED handheld before, it's a night and day difference in usability. I was worried it'd be way too heavy for longer gaming sessions, but it just isn't.

Man of Honour
I'd guess Lenovo will respond to that spec-bumped Ally soon enough? Might be worth holding off. Then again, sometimes good to just jump in without waiting.

I find the screen on the Legion Go to be pretty fantastic. It's big enough that I don't feel like I'm missing out playing on it, over my dust gathering ultrawide/desktop.
Coming from a smaller OLED handheld before, it's a night and day difference in usability. I was worried it'd be way too heavy for longer gaming sessions, but it just isn't.

Though not essential but given the shared RAM/VRAM 24 or 32GB RAM would be much nicer - some games can be cutting it fine even though in most cases if you are using more than ~3GB VRAM you are probably playing at settings beyond the performance of the GPU.

Better battery efficiency and/or bigger battery wouldn't go amiss as well as properly fitting a 2280 NVME.

On a personal level though having VRR on the display would be a big plus and that plus more RAM would be an instant purchase from me.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Screen is nice on the Go but a real shame they didn't use a VRR one, I'm hoping they come out with a version 2 with a few improvements like that.

Have to be honest gaming use on my Go is relatively infrequent - much more I use it with the kickstand out, joycons off and watching YouTube or something like that. It is also quite capable for desktop productivity tasks, etc. as the CPU is no slouch - I'm often using it with a USB4 hub to connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor instead of toting a laptop around.

You have a Legion Go? Interesting.

Got a bog standard steam deck myself. Love it.

What I like is that these pc handhelds are now a thing. They will only keep getting better. Eventually if pc gaming gets too expensive and I do not have enough gaming time to justify keep upgrading, might just stick to these and upgrade every few years :D

My PC can stay and play as is. My current setup play my whole steam library anyway.

Doubt I would go down that route, but nice to know it is an option.

Man of Honour
You have a Legion Go? Interesting.

Yeah - there was an offer through the benefits thingy at work with a decent discount and I couldn't help myself. No regrets but I definitely think if they actually build on what does and doesn't work with these the next generation of devices will be massively better.

I'm actually impressed by the CPU performance more than anything though, while it probably wouldn't last as long as desktop components ran heavily long term and thermal throttles more easily the Ryzen Z1 Extreme holds up really well against not that old desktop class CPUs despite being 4x Zen 4, 4x Zen4C (think e-cores) / 16 threads - even at 5 watt TDP it can give my old Xeon 1650 V2 @4.4GHz a run for its money and even beat it at some things and at 30 watt isn't far off a Ryzen 5800X depending a bit on what you are doing - some stuff is doesn't hold up as well as other stuff.

Eventually if pc gaming gets too expensive and I do not have enough gaming time to justify keep upgrading, might just stick to these and upgrade every few years
:D

I have the Razer Core X Chroma eGPU for mine with a 3070 in it - though anything faster than approx a GTX1070 is wasted really with only 2.5GB/s PCI-e bandwidth via TB3/4, one area an oculink port would be an improvement. But not exactly a cost saving over a PC LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom