Lexar NVMEs

Associate
I have been in the look out for nvmes in the famous uk deals site and noticed the Lexar brand.

Anyone here familiar with Lexar NVMEs specifically the NM790?

Looking to get the 4TB NM790 as a games-only drive and reviews looks decent. But I only know Lexar for their usb drives.
All my hard drives are either Samsung, WD, or Seagate.

There is also Corsair MP600 but there I find the versions confusing core, XT, NH, etc

Soldato
The MP600 isn't too difficult once you reject any that don't have Pro in the name. After that, the extra letters are just about the heatsink. NH - No Heatsink, XT - eXtra Tall (possibly ;) ). I put a 4TB MP600 Pro NH in my new desktop build and it's very fast.

Ooh, I've just found that the NM790 is single-sided. That makes it a candidate for my NAS.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They used to use familiar components, Micron flash was very common (they were owned by Micron), but they're now Chinese owned and the NM790 uses YMTC flash with a Maxiotech controller. I have no idea what to make of those.

Soldato
I know what you mean. The NM790 is getting good reviews from respectable sites but they can't use 'em long enough to get any idea of reliability. The sensible thing is to wait and see if early adopters run into problems in the first few months but that doesn't help when you want to buy something now......

Associate
OP
Yup exactly. The NM790 high endurance and spec is very appealing. The same with Silicon Power XPower XS70, brands I have not heard/used before.

The Corsair MP600 looks like safer choice at the cost of less spec sheet. Granted I doubt I will be writing 900TBs for a game drive lol.

Soldato
Evidence for this needed, please.
cant remember where i read this, may have been hotukdeals but iv read somewhere that lexar did a nand swap from tlc to qlc. apparently this is common and adata have done it too although they go a step further and swap out the controller for a cheaper one too.

Soldato
I bought a lexar NVME for my kids laptop last Xmas and had no issues with it so for the price would probably take a punt on this 4tb one.

Associate
@kmax86 - £200 for 4TB (NM790) seems pretty decent to me! - £50/TB isn't much over SATA drive prices! - Performance is pretty much max Gen4 level from the published numbers

@Snapshot - If you're after something with a bit more of a pedigree, the Crucial T500 appears to be single sided from the reviews I've seen, although only seems to be available at 2TB max at the moment (just realised that as I wrote this!)

Soldato
Yeah, it's the jump from 2TB to 4TB that usually needs both sides of the PCB. I went for a couple of NM790s in the end to replace the 1TB SN700s in my NAS. They're only running at PCIe3x1 so not exactly stressed.

Back
Top Bottom