LG Display Unveils Industry’s First 480Hz QHD Gaming OLED Display at CES 2024

Caporegime
Looks like LG are unveiling their 480Hz early to eclipse Samsung's 360Hz panel, but personally not expecting these in the UK til H2 but at least they're coming...

Myself I have half an eye on the 39" Ultrawide that's coming, but as per usual LG will be asking mega-bucks in order to milk those early adaptors then big drops 5/6 months later :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Well done to LG they've stayed one step ahead of Samsung at every turn

Samsung came out with 175hz screens so LG dropped a 240hz

Now Samsung decided they wanna be the big dog and announced a 360hz, vastly beating LG's 240hz, ha! Take that LG.

LG says hold my Goldstar and drops a 480hz panel

Associate
Anyone know if any of these high framerate screens will have a bfi option? Very curious to see a 480hz screen running 240hz with bfi.

Associate
Unless something changes, BFI isnt available at over 60hz on any OLED on the market today
Lg had 120hz bfi for a generation or two and then dropped it. Speculation was that the newer panels didn't have the capability. I'm hoping it's a feature that they reintroduce in next gen panels.

Soldato
I don't think we will see BFI again anytime soon with the potential to go up to 1000hz on OLED panels.

I use it on my CX btw.

Caporegime
OP
Given a choice between the semi-gloss of a 360Hz and heavy matte of a 480Hz then I'd take the 360 every time!! Let's hope that LG have sorted that out this time around...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The LG 480hz monitor is using a gloss coating
It's not....where did you hear that?

plus, it's not even a "monitor" that's been announced, it's the LG.Display WOLED panel that would need to be adopted by monitor manufacturers, whether that's LG Electronics or anyone else.

Associate
Have to agree on 360 Hz vs 480 Hz argument and these insanely high refresh rates feel a bit silly. It’s diminishing returns even well below these numbers and it makes no tangible difference. I’m not sure what they’re achieving other than helping the manufacturers with marketing. It’s generally accepted that it’s best to use VRR so it makes even less sense as who is able to drive games at anywhere near 480 fps ? Unless you’re willing to play games at ultra low settings with textures from 1995 you’re not going to be pushing anywhere even close to it. Even with my 240hz monitor I’m considering turning g-sync off but then that comes with disadvantages like screen tearing…

Man of Honour
Yes but that’s a short term view of right now. You might keep a monitor for many years and so with future graphics cards and technologies, these higher frame rates will become more achievable, and so part of this is about future proofing yourself too.

Then again there’s some competitive gamers who do want a screen even now to support super high frame rates. There’s still decent improvements in not only motion clarity, but also in overall system latency by moving about 240Hz

Associate
Have to agree on 360 Hz vs 480 Hz argument and these insanely high refresh rates feel a bit silly. It’s diminishing returns even well below these numbers and it makes no tangible difference. I’m not sure what they’re achieving other than helping the manufacturers with marketing. It’s generally accepted that it’s best to use VRR so it makes even less sense as who is able to drive games at anywhere near 480 fps ? Unless you’re willing to play games at ultra low settings with textures from 1995 you’re not going to be pushing anywhere even close to it. Even with my 240hz monitor I’m considering turning g-sync off but then that comes with disadvantages like screen tearing…
I'm still chasing crt motion clarity. That's why I am intrigued to see 240hz with bfi on oled.
240 is much easier to hit than 360-480.

Soldato
Whilst I do agree with a lot of what your saying for my personal us case you should try saying that to the many competitive CS players out there

Associate
Yeah CS is one of the few exceptions but comes under 1995 textures :D The difference between refreshes at 360 and 480 Hz is 0.78ms (780 micro-seconds!), maybe for those playing competitively at the very highest level possible it might make some sense.

Whilst not criticising it as I use the argument myself to justify the man maths when buying stuff I don’t need, I don’t agree with the future proofing comment above. We don’t see new AAA games performing at higher and higher FPS as they tend to take advantage of more powerful GPUs, look at cyberpunk and AW2. I think again it comes back to only giving something to those that are playing older titles competitively and this argument doesn’t really make sense for that either as if those people are concerned about the tiniest performance increases then they’re not going to hold onto a screen for ten years…

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wonder if this next gen of WOLED will also have the "text clarity" issue?
There are improvements to text clarity and also brightness with some of the new panels, including this one

Covered here
OLED monitors 2024 / 25 - Better text, glossy coating, brighter HDR, higher res, higher refresh!

Back
Top Bottom