Like that loud exhaust? You need locking up you psychopath!

Soldato
A few news outlets, e.g. the Daily Fail:

Are running this:

Do you like loud cars? You might be a psychopath! Men who want to modify their vehicles to make them noisier are more likely to have dark personality traits, study finds​

• Men who like particularly noisy cars are more likely to be psychopaths
  • Scientists say they probably get a kick out of watching people get startled
"The results revealed that male participants were more likely than females to say that they had a desire to have a loud car"

"What's more, the male participants who said they wanted a loud car scored more highly for psychopathy.

'Modifying a muffler to make a car louder is disturbing to pedestrians, other drivers, and animals at a distance, meeting the sadism component, as well as startling when up close at intersections, meeting the psychopathy component,' the researchers wrote in their study
"

It's more the conclusion:
'Other than legally enforcing laws with respect to these automobile modifications, the present results suggest that other tactics, such as information campaigns, may not be useful,' they added.
So might be ammo to curtail modifications (US at least)

The report is outlined here: https://cipp.ug.edu.pl/A-desire-for...ted-by-being-a-man-and-higher,162006,0,2.html

I did laugh that the two highest correlations on the main dark tetrad scale traits are 'wild and mean'.. sounds like perfect advertising material..

Oddly of all petrol heads I know, most have slightly modded exhausts because they like the noise not because they want to sadistically scare people..

Last edited:
Soldato
Another Causation vs Correlation issue, and when you see/read interviews with the head of the research you can instantly tell this isn't "unbiased" research that's been carried out as its very obvious she personally hates loud cars and invented the reason to carry out this research just to prove her on biases right, rather than aimed for scientific truth.

Anyway, "loud" cars can sound amazing or crap solely dependent on the time, place, circumstances and the sound itself - it's all very subjective.

Last edited:
Soldato
Made mine louder for safety. Had too many near misses when borrowing hybrids and EV's trying to navigate a town centre during school run time where kids are running feral and parents are too busy scrolling Tiktok to pay attention at junctions and crossings.

Now the kids are aware and the parents look up in disgust. Much safer!

Soldato
OP
OP reads the Daily Fail... enough said really
OP found it on many sites.. used the Daily Fail for added comedy value.. :)

Another Causation vs Correlation issue, and when you see/read interviews with the head of the research you can instantly tell this isn't "unbiased" research that's been carried out as its very obvious she personally hates loud cars and invented the reason to carry out this research just to prove her on biases right, rather than aimed for scientific truth.

Anyway, "loud" cars can sound amazing or crap solely dependent on the time, place, circumstances and the sound itself - it's all very subjective.
From her incredible 2.5/5 rating on 'rate my professor' The opening 1/5 review states "Seems to be highly uneducated and not fit to be teaching. let's emotions delegate her belief system and doesn't use rational thinking or common sense"

Probably not the most scientific of sites for an accurate character assessment, but made me chuckle

The reason this report resonated with me is I remember being on a 125cc Motorbike (bog standard at the time, no mods what-so-ever) and just accelerating between traffic lights on a hill, the bike was spluttering so had to give it at least 8K RPM (Redline is 11K but will go to 13K!) to get it moving off smoothly on a hill.. just as I set off, the noise startled a jogger who was just passing at that exact moment.. he ran across screaming and hit me on the arm.. I was mortified at the time, mainly in shock from some idiot reacting that way, but also that I'd startled the guy in the first place..

So basically guy who was offended by loud noises actually enacted violence and assumed I'd done it on purpose..

Last edited:
Soldato
It's loud exhausts that are causing the country's problems.

Nothing to do with this **** show of a government and the absolute mountain of problems this country has.

My motorcycle has a loud exhaust, and I own guns, I'm practically a genocidal dictator, up there with Putin, I would imagine.

Soldato
The whole, fake "pops and bangs" crazy is chavvy AF.

Loud is ok when it actually sounds good. The majority of modern cars just don't, especially automatics as it makes it more monotone.

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole, fake "pops and bangs" crazy is chavvy AF.

Loud is ok when it actually sounds good. The majority of modern cars just don't, especially automatics as it makes it more monotone.

So what you are saying is you are only a psychopath if you have a **** sounding loud exhaust, but a good sounding loud exhaust is ok?

....I can get on board with that ;)

Back
Top Bottom