Loop upgrade - Fluid choice recommendations

Associate
I've just purchased a new distro plate for my loop.
Which inevitably means an entire rework of my entire loop...
So I've added a new radiator and upgraded some fans etc.

But obviously I need to drain and re-fill my loop. I've been using Mayhem's X1 Clear for the loop for about 4 years now (not the same solution), is this still the best option? Or should I be looking at something else?

Both loops are primarily EK kit + AquaComputer D5 Next pumps & BitsPower Black Sparkle fittings with Mayhem's glass tubes.

Associate
Currently using AquaComputer DP Ultra in Clear - Been in the loop for around 5 months now and its been great :)

Associate
Another vote for X1 clear. The staining and hassle isn't worth it for coloured coolants unless you're literally taking glamour shots then immediately disassembling/cleaning.

Soldato
Halfords Battery water lol, me and a few others on here use it and never had any issues. About £5 for a 5 litre bottle, i've been using this stuff for around 8 years now.

Reactions: Rab
Soldato
Not that I have any personal experience but deionised water becomes slightly acidic over time and is corrosive.

DI (and to some extent distilled water) requires careful product selection (metals and coatings) as well as consideration to inhibitors/ph buffers. Are you guys using it putting proper additives in?

As to what damage you could cause running it bare without additives and over what time is to be seen I'm not sure its worth the risk of trashing components to save a few quid :D I would be curious to see what pH your loop water tests at with a pH strip (More for giggles than anything else)

Associate
I used Mayhems X1 for nearing on 10 years I think it was. It had discoloured quite significantly, but was still working well.

Recently gone with EK Cryofluid for me new build, but mainly because it's the only one I found that I could get the colour I wanted (orange). Been running for a couple months now & not had an issue, but it's early days yet.

Soldato
I used Mayhems X1 for nearing on 10 years I think it was. It had discoloured quite significantly, but was still working well.

Recently gone with EK Cryofluid for me new build, but mainly because it's the only one I found that I could get the colour I wanted (orange). Been running for a couple months now & not had an issue, but it's early days yet.

Mayhems have a few colours releasing soon, they're just in trial phase now. Well worth checking out at some point.

pre

pre

Associate
Any reason you aren't using Aquacomputer DP Ultra? I thought the flow meter calculations on their NEXT was only calibrated for their fluid?

Soldato
Halfords Battery water lol, me and a few others on here use it and never had any issues. About £5 for a 5 litre bottle, i've been using this stuff for around 8 years now.
Do you add any biocide?
I used to do this with my very first build over 12 years ago. But changed to X1 clear as it was relatively cheap back then. I can see it has gone up since.
This thread reminds me that I need to check/clean my loop which is about 2 years running with X1 clear with only a small top up.

Back
Top Bottom