Losing connection on ethernet.

Associate
My internet connection's been randomly dropping for a while. I was using Devolo powerline adaptors that worked fine before the problem started. So I replaced those with some Solwise adaptors, new ethernet cables and even a new router, but same problem.

So now running a length of ethernet cable from router to pc and it just dropped again!
Each time it does it, I do the Windows troubleshoot problems and it fixes it saying the error was; default gateway is not available.

So I'm guessing it's the network adaptor at fault? Installed latest drivers for it, turned off power saving option so anything else I can check?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ethernet adapters don't usually go bad. If they do it tends to be fairly terminal and obvious.

Do you have anything else connected to the same router? Do those devices drop at the same time or keep on working?

If it is the Ethernet adapter you should be able to install a new one into an expansion slot. Hardware details required if you're after recommendations.

Soldato
My internet connection's been randomly dropping for a while. I was using Devolo powerline adaptors that worked fine before the problem started. So I replaced those with some Solwise adaptors, new ethernet cables and even a new router, but same problem.

So now running a length of ethernet cable from router to pc and it just dropped again!
Each time it does it, I do the Windows troubleshoot problems and it fixes it saying the error was; default gateway is not available.

So I'm guessing it's the network adaptor at fault? Installed latest drivers for it, turned off power saving option so anything else I can check?

Just had a very similar issue with a mates PC.

This was done after exhaustive testing and problem solving which didn't resolve his issue.

In the end he was looking to upgrade anyway so he bought a new Mobo and CPU and Ram and installed everything and no issues anymore.

Associate
OP
I was using the Sky supplied D-link router, but have the new sky Q hub now and it still happens.
I've just put the ethernet cable back in and now in Win10, the connection shows as the router name, before it just said network 2 so maybe that will help.

Associate
OP
Well I'm still getting connection drops. Seemed be around same time every night.
So I uninstalled my security program thinking it might be a firewall issue, but lost it again this afternoon. Thinking maybe it happens while I'm streaming video on youtube, NowTV :confused:

Associate
Is the router and/or NIC Gigabit capable? You can try setting the link speed to 100mbps, full duplex rather than Auto negotiate and see if it remains stable. It'll be under properties in the device manager. If there's no option then it may be possible to set in the BIOS or router.

Associate
OP
Is the router and/or NIC Gigabit capable? You can try setting the link speed to 100mbps, full duplex rather than Auto negotiate and see if it remains stable. It'll be under properties in the device manager. If there's no option then it may be possible to set in the BIOS or router.

thanks, i did try the duplex setting, still dropped.

Associate
OP
Are you sure it's the ethernet connection dropping and not the internet connection? What does it say in the router stats?

The lights on the router are still green when it drops, USB wireless works ok so guess connection is fine?
I'm currently trying a laptop on the ethernet cable so will see how that goes.

Soldato
The lights can only tell you so much, I don't know if the Sky hub can show it, but if you log in and check the event log, it will give you more details on what is exactly going on with both internet and ethernet connection.

Associate
OP
Thanks, log is only showing recent activity for today. When I switched to wireless it was fine so thought internet must be ok. I'll see how the laptop ethernet gets on

Associate
Have you considered getting a cheap gigabit pci ethernet card? You can pick up a brand new one from the big stores for like £5-£10.

Associate
OP
Have you considered getting a cheap gigabit pci ethernet card? You can pick up a brand new one from the big stores for like £5-£10.

Yeah I'm considering that as an option, but I've only got PCI slots free, isn't PCI-E meant to be much faster? Otherwise it would mean ditching my soundcard and using onboard sound.

Last edited:
Soldato
The slot only needs to be fast enough to provide the bandwidth the adapter needs. IIRC a standard PCI slot has just about enough bandwidth to handle a Gigabit NIC.

Back
Top Bottom