• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

<<<=====LOWEST PRICE IN THE UK - MSI ATI HD 5850 Twin FrozR Graphics Card ONLY £124.99 Delivered!!==

Soldato
Would a Colorsit 550 watt be safe to run this on? It spec plate reads +12v @ 30amps or would I need to go for another psu as well?

Do you mean "Corsair" rather than "Colorsit"? (I assume you have the Corsair VX550W - although the amps sounds abit low?)

But 30amps on the 12v rail will easily be enough :)

EDIT: Just looked up Colorsit. Those look like ultra budget power supply units, probably in the same (bad) league as Q-Tec. I wouldn't trust my hard drives and other components to one of those personally. (i had multiple drives taken out (literally burnt out) by a Qtec for example, even though well below spec).

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I'll plan ahead while waiting for the card...anyone got any idea which driver would be the safe bet to use? Already read lots of people are having problem with 10.12, but some recommend downloading the 10.12a off guru3D as that one seem to work ok.

So should we just download and use 10.12a directly then?

Associate
I think I'll plan ahead while waiting for the card...anyone got any idea which driver would be the safe bet to use? Already read lots of people are having problem with 10.12, but some recommend downloading the 10.12a off guru3D as that one seem to work ok.

So should we just download and use 10.12a directly then?

Good question, i havnt had a ATI card before, and have 1 of these on order, anymore suggestions on which drivers to use please??

Associate
Well I just pre-ordered mine to upgrade my 4850, was tore between this card and the HIS 6870 that is on special offer, tell me I've made the right decision ordering the 5850?

Last edited:
Associate
Could someone who has one measure the exact pcb length please? Official site says card length is 257mm but I'm not sure if that includes the connectors. It's gonna be a tight squeeze in my case, especially with the power connectors at the end rather than on the side so a few mm either way could clinch it for me.

Ta muchly :)

Lou

Associate
from the looks of it I'd need a new case and psu to handle this card which is a shame just can't fit in 10", and after taking apart my psu I have no idea what qualit the components are.

Soldato
would a Q6600 oced to 3ghz(I've not been able to push it past that and have it prime stable for 24hours so have left it at 3ghz, been a couple years since I tried tho) bottle kneck this much? I have a 24inch monitor with 1920 x 1200 res.

I want to replace my sapphire 2900pro 1gb that I got back in october 2008(also from ocuk), as I mentioned in the thread over in the deals section I've been looking at a 6870 @ £170 but now thinking about going for this and oc'ing it(is there any stock left?).

danceforfreedom I haven't read through this thread but looking at your post with the 1.3v, I was just reading a review where the guy comparing it against a sapphire 5850 said he couldn't push it past 1.149v

Caporegime
would a Q6600 oced to 3ghz(I've not been able to push it past that and have it prime stable for 24hours so have left it at 3ghz, been a couple years since I tried tho) bottle kneck this much? I have a 24inch monitor with 1920 x 1200 res.

I want to replace my sapphire 2900pro 1gb that I got back in october 2008(also from ocuk), as I mentioned in the thread over in the deals section I've been looking at a 6870 @ £170 but now thinking about going for this and oc'ing it(is there any stock left?).

danceforfreedom I haven't read through this thread but looking at your post with the 1.3v, I was just reading a review where the guy comparing it against a sapphire 5850 said he couldn't push it past 1.149v

I don't think it would bottleneck it at all.

Soldato
I was tempted by this week’s only 5830, just because it smaller and would fit in a mini-ITX build. But checking performance charts on Anandtech it seems pretty poor for similar power draw.

Permabanned
The power connectors don't stick out any further than the PCB, they end where it does. So it will just need that little extra space for the 6pin connectors coming from your PSU out of the edge of where the PCB ends, a a litle more for the cable to bend. About an extra 1.5cm on top of the 257mm.

Permabanned

Yeah that why I put that up there, theres a review linked to earlier in this thread that was pointing out it couldn't be pushed above the low voltage. I was just showing how the one I got from OCUK 6 weeks ago lets me run upto 1.3volts no problems... altough a little hot: 85c after 30mins of furmark extreme burn on. Run it at 900 core @ 1.2volts everyday, never reaches above 65c except crysis and metro it gets upto 72c.

Associate
Do you mean "Corsair" rather than "Colorsit"? (I assume you have the Corsair VX550W - although the amps sounds abit low?)

But 30amps on the 12v rail will easily be enough :)

EDIT: Just looked up Colorsit. Those look like ultra budget power supply units, probably in the same (bad) league as Q-Tec. I wouldn't trust my hard drives and other components to one of those personally. (i had multiple drives taken out (literally burnt out) by a Qtec for example, even though well below spec).

I used that exact power supply in a non-gaming build for my sister. Had it for months and it's been fine, but it is just running an old athlon rig with a 9500GT.

It only has 1 PCIe 6 pin connector and the 5850 requires 2 for a start. The 12v rails run 16amps each, but as Scougar said it's a big risk with a top end card like the 5850.

Associate
The power connectors don't stick out any further than the PCB, they end where it does. So it will just need that little extra space for the 6pin connectors coming from your PSU out of the edge of where the PCB ends, a a litle more for the cable to bend. About an extra 1.5cm on top of the 257mm.

Cheers - I was really referring to whether the quoted length is from the end of the dvi connector or is just the length of the pcb itself. I can see from the pics the area that you mean (the power connectors) ending flush with the edge of the card so yep, just the length of the 6 pin connectors + cable to take into account.

I've got about 268mm from the inside face of the case pci slot to the hdd bay so it's going to be a tight fit - the 5mm or so that the dvi connector takes up in the overall length of the card (possibly making the pcb 252mm or thereabouts) might just swing it for me.

Cheers,

Lou

Soldato
I used that exact power supply in a non-gaming build for my sister. Had it for months and it's been fine, but it is just running an old athlon rig with a 9500GT.

It only has 1 PCIe 6 pin connector and the 5850 requires 2 for a start. The 12v rails run 16amps each, but as Scougar said it's a big risk with a top end card like the 5850.

I highly suspect it will run the 5850 just fine with the Colorsit 550W.. I'm just saying I would never trust a ultra budget PSU again :) (Mine was a 500 qtec with only an athlon and Nvidia 5700le at the time (and then a Nvidia 6800le so not exactly stressed).

J.D

J.D

Soldato
I highly suspect it will run the 5850 just fine with the Colorsit 550W.. I'm just saying I would never trust a ultra budget PSU again :) (Mine was a 500 qtec with only an athlon and Nvidia 5700le at the time (and then a Nvidia 6800le so not exactly stressed).

Sorry to hear about another Qtec nightmare.

:) My friend was trying to boot up his system years ago and the gold plated Qtec 550w or something similar, failed. Only used it for 1-2 days and then his power button on his case was now nothing but a clicker :D. We fired up a 360Watt PSU, can't remember the brand but it powered up his PC no problem at all so from that day forth, the qtec's reputation between my friend and I, had been destroyed. Along with any faith we had in budget PSU's. This was about 6 years ago.

OcUK Staff
OP
HI there

They have arrived a day early, but in order of Christmas spirit we shall honor this special pre-order price until close of business tomorrow at which time they shall increase to £149.99 Inc. VAT.

All backorders will ship today and weather permitting you will get them tomorrow. :)

Back
Top Bottom