Mac Mini and Wireless PC Keyboard?

Soldato
Hi guys.

Looking to take the plunge and get a Mac Mini to hook up to the TV.
I don't much want to use a mouse and wires are a no-no.

I found the KeySonic ACK-540 keyboard and wondered if anyone knows if this will work with OS X?

TIA

Si
:)

Soldato
Also with an Apple keyboard you will get the proper keys, the option key for example, and that way you will get used to the layout better.

Soldato
You should be alright with just a keyboard, you may have to use a mouse to set it up though, then you could just use some keyboard shortcuts to launch certain apps. Most things can be done on the keyboard anyway.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

InsomniaCalls said:
Does it have a scroll wheel or anything?
I don't have a table so I'm essentially after an all in one solution to sit on my knee.

If not, is it still easy to navigate or would a mouse be a must?
You could download "Sailing clicker" and use your mobile to control the mouse pointer :)

Jet

Jet

Soldato
You'll get Front Row remember which works with the Apple remote. There are also programs to get the remote to control everything.

Soldato
If you mainly want to use the Mini as an HTPC, I'd suggest seeing if you can manage using just the excellent remote control that it comes with before shelling out on a dedicated keyboard. I (now) use mine with my TV almost purely with Front Row in order to play films and DVDs, and it works beautifully. If I need to do more computery things then I control the mouse pointer using my mobile phone over Bluetooth, which also works very well.

Rarely when I need to type on it or do other things I just VNC in over my network. It's extremely rare that I need to actually physically connect a keyboard and / or mouse :)

arty

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You also might want to check out Sofa Control, it basically extends the control of the Apple remote beyond front row :)

They are using a Mini as a HTPC as an example of the best use for the software so it's perfect!

Soldato
OP
Thanks!

Just looking at prices for the Mac Mini.

The Intel Core Duo processor is obviously the best one out at the minute but some places are still selling the G4s for about half the price.

If I'm only using it for HTPC will I notice any major difference?
And is the remote a new thing or did it come with the G4 too?

Associate
Im not sure the G4 one comes with front row either?

Im not sure wether youd get a remote, i never had one with my G4.

Im going to take a look at the new Mini though..
Quick question if i may....Does front row allow playback of Xvid and Divx ? What other formats does it play?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom