Mac Mini type 'Windows PC'

Soldato
My mate loves my new Mac Mini but hates the OS!!

Now, could some kind person spec a PC that is almost the same size as the Mac mini? Not sure on budget so as long as it is at least dual core and can run 8gig ram that would be fine. He would probably be using a Pico PSU.

Main thing is it needs to be same size as Mac Mini!! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
No. A Wesena-ITX2 is the same footprint as a mac mini but is double the height. Anything else that size doesnt look anywhere near as classy as a mac-mini. So basically it comes down to do you want a super thin mac mini with boot camp or a double thickness PC with a better processor and and cooling (i.e. quieter) and an upgrade path but no thunderbolt (so no 2560x1600) and no SDHC card slot.

Soldato
As gropingmantis says the only cases that look as good as a mac mini are the wesena itx series, but even they are significantly larger. Not sure about 2560x1600 comment, surely something like a llano could power a big screen on integrated graphics?

Soldato
I also asked a similar question a few months ago, the only case I could find was the Wesena ITX-2 case, its about the same size as the old mac mini (the white box).

The only thing I would worry about is keeping the temperature low.

Last edited:
Soldato
As gropingmantis says the only cases that look as good as a mac mini are the wesena itx series, but even they are significantly larger. Not sure about 2560x1600 comment, surely something like a llano could power a big screen on integrated graphics?

Its because of the bandwidth limitations of HDMI. 2560x1600 requires dual-DVI or miniDP/Thunderbolt. HDMI cant carry enough information.

Soldato
It's a shame Dell stopped doing the Studio Hybrid a while back, it was the perfect competitor to the Mac Mini, had some very cool design features. The machine they replaced it with looked crap in comparison.

Soldato
Wesena-ITX2 looks great to me.

What components could i use guys? I haven't a clue. I know my mate would like a speedy beast but i know he doesnt play games on the PC as he loves his Xbox!

What will it be used for?

Could go the Llano route if it is nothing too intensive and mainly a media/browsing box.

Soldato
As powerful if not more, than my Mac Mini 2.4. He does a lot of Photoshop but no gaming

Ah hell why not go all out.

Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3
Intel Core i5-2500k (You need the K series for the HD3000 graphics)
8GB RAM (Vengeance LP or XMS3)
1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue
Scythe Shruiken BIG cooler.

Then on the Wesena site you can get hold of:
Wesena ITX2
Wesena 120w PSU
Wesena 12v 6a Power Supply Adaptor
Sony Optiarc BC-5640H Slot Loading Blu-Ray Combo Drive - SlimSATA

That will be a beast and tiny.

Soldato
OP

Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3

Wesena ITX2
Wesena 120w PSU

Thanks, will check that lot out

Soldato
I would advise you to get a 200W pico PSU.

Also you could add an SSD, but then you wouldn't have space for a standard hard drive :(

Anyway good luck with the build and PLEASE post some pics, and if you had any difficulties in doing it because I am planning on building something similar, that is if I get a job. :D

Associate

Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3

Wesena ITX2
Wesena 120w PSU

Just be aware that the BIG will almost certainly block the PCI-E port, oh and you'll be very lucky if you can get a 3.5" drive in there.

Soldato
Just be aware that the BIG will almost certainly block the PCI-E port, oh and you'll be very lucky if you can get a 3.5" drive in there.

Thats fine because the ITX2 has no expansion slot so you cant use it anyway and I know it wont take 3.5" HDDs thats why I suggested the Scorpio Blue as it is 2.5".

I did not just throw together a random selection of nice components.

Soldato
Wesena-ITX2 looks great to me.

What components could i use guys? I haven't a clue. I know my mate would like a speedy beast but i know he doesnt play games on the PC as he loves his Xbox!

I would stick to a 65W TDP CPU such as a Core i3 2100. I have a Core i3 2100 myself and for basic duties the HD2000 is good enough. There is also the Core i3 2105 which has the HD3000 IGP.

Back
Top Bottom