Manual suggests updating BIOS before upgrading memory, but not sure BIOS is compatable

Associate
Hello

I have a HP Pavilion 14 ce3501na lap top which currently has 8gb ram. I would like to upgrade it with 32GB.

The manual suggests updating the BIOS before upgrading any memory modules.

My concern is the following:

My laptop is running Windows 11 (Home) and HP only seems to support Windows 10 for this laptop.

My current BIOS is: Insyde F.14 (05/02/2021)
When I search for downloads for my laptop it only has Windows 10 as an option and this is the BIOS which is for Windows 10: F.21.RevA (12/2023)

If I were to try installing that BIOS would it break my laptop?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Bios update should be fine

My top of the range x570 motherboard
Most of the stuff on the support page says windows 10
Yet its easily capable of 11
Just they haven't bothered making version 11 specific
Software and even drivers
All the stuff for 10 I install works fine

Man of Honour
When I search for downloads for my laptop it only has Windows 10 as an option and this is the BIOS which is for Windows 10: F.21.RevA (12/2023)

If I were to try installing that BIOS would it break my laptop?
This is an OEM so who knows.., but generally speaking: when a BIOS is listed under an OS it is just how their website categorises the downloads. A BIOS is OS-neutral. The only problem I can think of, is if they expose the required functionality to install Windows 11 (e.g. TPM & secure boot).

The manual suggests updating the BIOS before upgrading any memory modules.
Usually I'd agree, since it helps maximise compatibility, but your laptop is pretty modern and supports the latest DDR4 standards, so if you buy the right stuff, you have a good chance it'll work.

Back
Top Bottom