Massive Car insurance costs?

Soldato
Just seeing if I'm going mad here.
Been driving 2 years, no points. 32 years old.
Last year's insurance was £610 on Hastings Premier.

Just looking at quotes and the same plan on compare the market is £864? what on earth is going on??? Can't get it below 850 no matter what I do or where I look.

I know prices have went up, but not by almost 50%.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just seeing if I'm going mad here.
Been driving 2 years, no points. 32 years old.
Last year's insurance was £610 on Hastings Premier.

Just looking at quotes and the same plan on compare the market is £864? what on earth is going on??? Can't get it below 850 no matter what I do or where I look.

I know prices have went up, but not by almost 50%.

Hate to say it, but mine went down this year, not by much though.

Caporegime
Mine went down by £10 a month.

Strangely this cheaper deal came direct from the insurance company, but when I tried Money Supermarket, Go Compare, etc. it was a lot more expensive than what I'm currently paying.

Soldato
Mine went up from £497 to £823 despite none of my circumstances changing.

It went up more initially, that was after a painful phone call.

Since re-newal have done a couple of quotes with higher insurance groups, more horsepower and generally cars you would think are higher on insurance… turns out each one gives me some sort of partial refund.

Makes no sense and seems I’ve simply just been shafted this time round :o

Man of Honour
One oy my colleagues, just passed his test, 26 years old, Fiat Panda - £125/year for insurance... looking at what it would cost me quotes are coming back at more like £1250... **** take. Fortunately the insurance on the stuff I drive is fairly reasonable - all of which is much more powerful than a Fiat Panda :s

Man of Honour
One oy my colleagues, just passed his test, 26 years old, Fiat Panda - £125/year for insurance... looking at what it would cost me quotes are coming back at more like £1250... **** take. Fortunately the insurance on the stuff I drive is fairly reasonable - all of which is much more powerful than a Fiat Panda :s
Either something has gone wrong there or they really are that bad no one wants to steal them and they can't get fast enough to do any damage :cry:

Man of Honour
Either something has gone wrong there or they really are that bad no one wants to steal them and they can't get fast enough to do any damage :cry:

I dunno - my insurance has always been odd in that respect - quotes on silly eco boxes are crazy while performance cars cheap... but I was genuinely gob smacked when he said it was £125 for a year. I was definitely expecting a 0 on the end of it even though he is over 25.

Associate
Anecdotal, but it appears to me that those who remain in the insurance category of very low risk continue to see cheap/reducing quotes year on year. If you fall outside this 'perfect customer', it's going up.

Soldato
I dunno - my insurance has always been odd in that respect - quotes on silly eco boxes are crazy while performance cars cheap... but I was genuinely gob smacked when he said it was £125 for a year. I was definitely expecting a 0 on the end of it even though he is over 25.
You sure he doesn't mean a month not year :D.

Man of Honour
I was 30 when I passed and my little Astra still cost me basically a grand for the year.
It's not gone down that much 5 years later but I have gained a few points and claims since then... Maybe they were right in the first place :D

Man of Honour
I was 30 when I passed and my little Astra still cost me basically a grand for the year.
It's not gone down that much 5 years later but I have gained a few points and claims since then... Maybe they were right in the first place :D

My first car a Rover Metro cost £1600/year LOL and that was over 20 years ago money :( everything I've owned since has been ~£300/year. But the quotes for some reason on tiny little hatchbacks are still silly money.

Man of Honour
paying about 165 - 180 on a 100 bhp mid size hatchback

but i have never claimed and am 40+, plus never had points on my licence and live in a low crime area

Same here 40+, no claims, no points on license, had my license more than 20 years, work a reasonable job, etc. mostly live or lived in low crime areas with favourable postcodes for insurance. Something like a performance Golf about £300/year, something like a Yaris... £LOL.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not sure if it's due to insurance jumps this year but I've gone from paying £350 for an kia xceed to £960 for a audi a5 which completely shocked me. I searched and searched for quotes including speaking with multiple brokers. I'm 41 with 21 years ncb but living in Birmingham :p. If you look at my thread in motors regarding my insurance issues you will see esure don't even want to take my £960 :D.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine went down by £10 a month.

Strangely this cheaper deal came direct from the insurance company, but when I tried Money Supermarket, Go Compare, etc. it was a lot more expensive than what I'm currently paying.
Same here insurance renewal was cheaper than Money Supermarket etc, a strange reversal of the normal situation

Back
Top Bottom