Massive Car insurance costs?

Man of Honour
Mine is up in a month. Paid £725 last year, admiral, although I’ll switch to yearly payment this year. Curious what silly figure they offer. How long before renewal do they contact you with a price?

Man of Honour
I renewed with Admiral at £370. I got annoyed with the amount of faff involved and didn't want to spend any more time dealing with it.
Surely the majority faff is initially filling everything in on the comparison site which you'd already done :confused:
I mean it's your money but I'd rather the £100ish was in my pocket for ten minutes work

Associate
Mine is up in a month. Paid £725 last year, admiral, although I’ll switch to yearly payment this year. Curious what silly figure they offer. How long before renewal do they contact you with a price?
In my case the auto renewal was switched off. They update renewal quotes 23 days before your renewal date. In my example it was updated on 19th April for a renewal date of 12th May. There was no direct contact from them.

Hope that helps. :)

Associate
My Admiral insurance renewal has gone up nearly £200. Aviva are nearly £200 less than what I paid last year (which is roughly what I expected it should be, considering I have another years no claims). So bye bye to a 20 year odd Admiral customer.

Associate
My insurance is due end of next month, thought I'd just do some quotes at the moment to see what we were looking at. It looks to have gone up just over ~£500 on last year. No changes to my policy or circumstances at the moment :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Last year was £270 + £45 cashback via TCB with Admiral.

This year Admiral wanted £350, and after bartering £320. Would have no cashback.

Went with Hastings Direct via TCB in the end. £318 + £45 cashback. Seem to be well reviewed, so a little more expensive but at least I can speak with someone if I need to hopefully.

I've never had a fault claim and yet insurance keeps going up and up at much faster rates than basic inflation would suggest it should.

Associate
Last year mine was £1090 with Howdens, this year £818 with Admiral, Howdens started off with a £1300 quote and whilst they did come down a bit, it just wasn't near enough to match Admiral.

Soldato
That's interesting. I did a quick quote just to see what prices might look like for me - I'm not due till the start of June. Prices were similar to what I paid last year (~£600). However, I hadn't ticked "are you a homeowner" so I ticked that, and I dropped my mileage down from 6,000 to 5,000 (in the year I've owned the car I've done less than 2,000 miles). And the price dropped by nearly £100. Watch of course, none of this probably will matter when I come to try it again in a months time. :cry:

Man of Honour
Managed to get my partners son insured with Admiral Gold, no black box, for £2700. Decent price I felt for a 20 year old in a new car and his first car.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well I was expecting a disastrous renewal from Admiral. Paid £720 last year, £780 offered this year, but that’s based on monthly payment. Will switch to annual this year that comes out to £716. I have to phone them to switch anyway, so will see if they can reduce it, it’s only gone up £60, so I’m sure I can get that off at least. It actually works out cheaper than any comparison quote I got. Result. Not bad for a TTRS convertible! It’s probably more an indicator that I’m getting old.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom