** MASSIVE NVIDIA PRICE DROP!!! **

Caporegime
Overclocking is not guaranteed and never has being. If it runs at the manufacturers claimed clock speeds which is normally higher for ones geared up for it then it is not faulty.

I know overclocking's not guaranteed. But in this instance, if you're buying a card that's been pimped out by the vendor as the overclocking king of cards, and you've got one that clocks like a bag of spuds (Lower than the average overclock of reference cards) how is it fair that they've spent over the tops for it on the sole basis it's an overclocking card?

OcUK Staff
OP
I know overclocking's not guaranteed. But in this instance, if you're buying a card that's been pimped out by the vendor as the overclocking king of cards, and you've got one that clocks like a bag of spuds (Lower than the average overclock of reference cards) how is it fair that they've spent over the tops for it on the sole basis it's an overclocking card?

That is the risk with overclocking.

Back when I was overclocking I would buy several if need be to get a good one. :)

What I would not be doing is expecting the store I purchase from to take back perfect working goods from me which they can't sell as new and would loose money on.

Before 8 Pack came working for us, in one week he once purchased 7 Lightning cards from me.

Soldato
The new rules are the rules they are there to protect etailors from making losses from having to b-grade items used within the 14 day DSR period, hence the new rules.

So the new law is to protect etailors and not the public thats great

Soldato
We'd except it back.

Hence why nothing has changed for 99% of users. :)
We'd simply return the product to manufacturer for a refund and if they refused we'd question our future with them and b-grade the product.

This is why with many of our partners such as XFX we have special warranty terms as they except all items we return to them for any reason to give our customers greater range of cover and improved support. :)

This is where the confusion has arose, as I know the colour shift of a TN panel isn't a fault, and I wouldn't expect it to be taken back as faulty because of this. It's nice to hear that in such a situation, I wouldn't have to worry about being charged a restocking fee. I still think calling it a satisfaction guarantee could be asking for trouble with certain things though, as it has a very certain implication.

OcUK Staff
OP
This is where the confusion has arose, as I know the colour shift of a TN panel isn't a fault, and I wouldn't expect it to be taken back as faulty because of this. It's nice to hear that in such a situation, I wouldn't have to worry about being charged a restocking fee. I still think calling it a satisfaction guarantee could be asking for trouble with certain things though, as it has a very certain implication.

But this is why for 99% of our customers nothing has changed. :)

The only people who will be effected by this is those buying parts, typically VGA cards, overclocking them and then returning them as they don't clock good enough. Thankfully such individuals are less than 1%

Soldato
Totally agree with Gibbo and the retailers perspective on this one. I have never used DSR, if you buy something and play with it you can't send it back and expect a full refund (Unless it's genuinely faulty), that's bonkers. Once something is used it loses value, same applies when you sell used stuff. You have to take into account that it has been used..

Why should shops have to agree to take parts back that someone has used and decided they don't want it?

If you buy it and use it, it's up to you to sell it on or accept a restocking fee. This is fair to the retailer and the customer, and it stops the types that would take advantage of the old policy.

OcUK Staff
This is correct what Gibbo is saying. I before working at OCUK bought up to 10 of each top end GPU and binned accordingly selling the poor clockers on Ebay. Indeed up to 7 at a time.

You wanna bin hardware it should be at your cost!!

Caporegime
That is the risk with overclocking.

Back when I was overclocking I would buy several if need be to get a good one. :)

What I would not be doing is expecting the store I purchase from to take back perfect working goods from me which they can't sell as new and would loose money on.

Before 8 Pack came working for us, in one week he once purchased 7 Lightning cards from me.

Which would be acceptable if you bought a run of the mill card, not a top of the range card geared towards overclocking. You buy that card to remove the risk.

Take the Asus ROG Matrix ones. One could spend like over 100 quid more on one of them than a reference, but it's possible for one to have lower OC potential than a very average reference card. It just seems wrong, I don't think anyone but the manufacturer should take the hit, but they won't, which means the consumer now is taking the hit.

Soldato
The new rules are the rules they are there to protect etailors from making losses from having to b-grade items used within the 14 day DSR period, hence the new rules.

So the new law is to protect etailors and not the public thats great

I think it's more a re-balancing of the rules, really. It does strike me as a bit unfair that retailers had to accept goods back at full refund when their value had diminished.

Whilst the new rules are less generous to customers than before, I don't see that they are actually unfair.

OcUK Staff
Which would be acceptable if you bought a run of the mill card, not a top of the range card geared towards overclocking. You buy that card to remove the risk.

Take the Asus ROG Matrix ones. One could spend like over 100 quid more on one of them than a reference, but it's possible for one to have lower OC potential than a very average reference card. It just seems wrong, I don't think anyone but the manufacturer should take the hit, but they won't, which means the consumer now is taking the hit.

All you can expect from an item is that it works as stated in product description. No overclocking not one mhz is guaranteed.

You want decent clocking hardware bin at your cost.

OcUK Staff
OP

Silicon lottery, it is no guarantee and the people buying such cards fully understand this and so do you. They will not be refunded in full.

Soldato
You rights to return goods have not changed other than been extended to 14 days now. You can still return unwanted goods as before.

The change is the retailer can charge a fee if the goods are not returned in a satisfactory condition. I.e damaged packaging or say a GPU being full of dust etc.

Simply if you intend to return something just make sure it's in as near to the condition received as possible which tbh is not hard really. Take photos etc before sending it back.

Soldato

This would be more a case for trading standards tbh. If a manufacturer claims the item is capable of something and it is not then you should really be entitled to a refund as it would be considered as misrepresentation.

Misrepresentation

If a business seller makes a false statement to persuade you to buy goods, they may have committed a criminal offence. You may want to report the trader to Trading Standards who have power to investigate this type of offence. For example, a trader selling burglar alarms may falsely tell you that you need an alarm because there is a higher than average rate of burglaries in your area.

If you think you've bought something because of a false statement made by a business or private seller, you may have the right to end the contract and get a refund. The law that gives you this right is the Misrepresentation Act 1967 (the Misrepresentation Act (Northern Ireland) 1967 in Northern Ireland).

If you're in this situation, you should get advice.

Soldato
You rights to return goods have not changed other than been extended to 14 days now. You can still return unwanted goods as before.

The change is the retailer can charge a fee if the goods are not returned in a satisfactory condition. I.e damaged packaging or say a GPU being full of dust etc.

Simply if you intend to return something just make sure it's in as near to the condition received as possible which tbh is not hard really. Take photos etc before sending it back.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26946026&postcount=159

OCUK say if you break a seal you be getting a deduction from your refund.

Back
Top Bottom