Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
What's a good mattress for lower back pain, not fussed about cost. Been looking at Tempur but can't tell what one is most suitable or the Sealy Posturepedic Elevate range.
After a lot of research for my lower back pain, i came to the conclusion a medium firm hybrid/memory foam would be best. I liked a Tempur I tried butvwas £1600 for a double. I thought I'd try an Ergoglex 5G for £500 first as it's similar in principle. Only slept 4 nights in it so far though.

I've also invested in a memory foam block for in between legs, and proper ergonomic pillows (Groove) , to maintain a straight spine. Latter has made a big difference!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm in need of a new mattress, the Simba we have is junk. Currently having to put towels and things under the mattress to bolster it up. I weight around 95kg, but within 6 months it was no good.

Are John Ryan really the best? There's so many to choose from.

Soldato
Get onto Simba for a replacement, if it's gone bad that fast, there is something wrong there.
Well past our return period now, missus was still happy with it, so I stuck with it. Now she doesn't like it......
They can come out and measure it for droop, but reading they do all they can to get out of it, obviously. Plus I don't want another one.

Soldato
Well past our return period now, missus was still happy with it, so I stuck with it. Now she doesn't like it......
They can come out and measure it for droop, but reading they do all they can to get out of it, obviously. Plus I don't want another one.
Ah, that's a shame.

I had a great experience with their support when we ripped the cover accidentally, they sent us a brand new mattress and picked the old one up same time.

We've had ours 3.5 years and no droop yet.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What's a good mattress for lower back pain, not fussed about cost. Been looking at Tempur but can't tell what one is most suitable or the Sealy Posturepedic Elevate range.
I had chronic lower back pain for years. Bought a Emma memory foam mattress 18 months ago, haven't had a single sleepless night due to back pain since. Had slept on sprung mattresses for 15 years with lower back pain and this simple 500 euro purchase seems to have fixed it.

Off course everyone's spine is different so obviously YMMV, but the returns policy is quite generous with most online memory foam companies so you could easily try it out.

rp2000

Soldato
I know it's not dead level, hard to do it all and take a photo, but with not much pressure (I know it's focused as using a hand) I can depress it so far.
Can feel it's softer than the edge, but if I do their dip test, it's 20mm and it needs to be 35mm for the age of it.

But the second I lay on it on my bum area dips and my back goes crazy.

A6eyOoX.jpeg

Associate
I'm not sold on my John Ryan super soft thing. Others mostly love theirs. It seems good enough quality, but i had hoped it would be perfect. I'm a side sleeper and at most 11stone who does lots of exercise, but if i end sleeping on my back for a short time my lower back is not good in the morning. I've had a few shoulder issues from it too. To top it off, it's a bit warm. I may try a cheapo sprung one at some point again, but overall i'm okay with it as it is comfy.

Associate
I'm not sold on my John Ryan super soft thing. Others mostly love theirs. It seems good enough quality, but i had hoped it would be perfect. I'm a side sleeper and at most 11stone who does lots of exercise, but if i end sleeping on my back for a short time my lower back is not good in the morning. I've had a few shoulder issues from it too. To top it off, it's a bit warm. I may try a cheapo sprung one at some point again, but overall i'm okay with it as it is comfy.
Because it's too soft?

Associate
Because it's too soft?

Unlikely due to my previous ~£100er from 15yrs ago didn't give me such issues and you could see one or two open coil springs poking through. I think the John Ryan is too bulked out with springs, foam and insulation etc to give enough give. I've had a play with different pillows/ number of pillows as well. Memory foam is a no go as too hot everyone says.

Associate
Soft is never long term comfy, at least not for me. Soft mattresses make my back ache after a couple of hours.

I much prefer a firm pocket sprung mattress. You can’t beat classic quality. And they will outlast all this foam nonsense.

Associate
I've had my mattress on order quite some time but only managed to try it this month and I look forward to getting in it each night.

I only wanted to spend on a mattress but ended up thinking I can't put asda cardboard sheets on an expensive mattress so went all out and it's definitely worth it. I was dreading I'd looked forward to it too long and had too high expectations and it was going to be meh but you can feel the difference. I ordered towels at the same time and the shower bed combo feels luxurious highly recommend this combo

Mattress
https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/artisan-naturals/

Topper
https://www.devonduvets.com/wool-mattress-toppers

Protector
https://www.thewhitecompany.com/uk/...luxury-pure-cotton-quilted-mattress-protector

Sheets, covers and towels (candles are decent too)
https://hamptonandastley.com/collec...ndulgence-bundle-white?variant=32124171354170

Duvet
https://www.soakandsleep.com/ultimate-90-hungarian-goose-down-duvets.html

Had this coming up two years now and still as comfy as the day I bought it. Not sure if it's cause there's only 1 person sleeping on it that it has prolonged it. I used to have shoulder and back ache all the time but touch wood they're perfectly fine now, and the only negative about this bed is I struggle to get out of it on a morning. The sheets I would say are one of the biggest changes you can make to make it feel luxurious.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went and tried some mattresses at a local bed shop, gone for a 'firm' Harrison Spinks traditional mattress, none of this foam stuff any more, I don't get on with it.
Let's hope it's ok! Felt nice to lay on, just need to wait 5 weeks for delivery, doh.

Soldato
Ive had my John Ryan almost 3 years and looking to get a new mattress as its gone way too soft causing back pain, you can see where it dips in where my stomach area is. Disappointing given the recommendations it gets and honestly there customer service just seem snotty when messaged regarding it.

Last edited:
Associate
Ive had my John Ryan almost 3 years and looking to get a new mattress as its gone way too soft causing back pain, you can see where it dips in where my stomach area is. Disappointing given the recommendations it gets and honestly there customer service just seem snotty when messaged regarding it.
As above I cant fault mine but went with the artisan naturals as I read a few bad reviews about anything under this but nothing on the naturals. Which do you have?

Back
Top Bottom