Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
Not sure if I ever updated, but we went for a medium to firm mattress to try and help my lower back and her hips, as medium wasn't great.
Was ok for a few days, then no good again.
It's a comfy mattress, but that's all lol.
So not sure what it is, different mattresses don't seem to help.

Soldato
We went for a firm Millbrook recently.

Needed a thin topper on to take the edge off for the OH but since we've had it I've had no shoulder pain in the middle of the night nor do I have to slowly unfurl myself in the morning.

E: You can always make a firm mattress softer with a topper while keeping the support, you can't make a softer mattress noticeably firmer.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if I ever updated, but we went for a medium to firm mattress to try and help my lower back and her hips, as medium wasn't great.
Was ok for a few days, then no good again.
It's a comfy mattress, but that's all lol.
So not sure what it is, different mattresses don't seem to help.
What brand and type of mattress?

Soldato
Hillary spinks, firm one currently.
Previous was a Simba, which was ok for a few months, but sagged so much, then hurting my back. Had to pack under the mattress to help.
Previous to that was something from Benson's, but I can't remember, other than it was a spring/foamy thing. Again, lower back pain.

Even moving around through the night hurts lol. But all day I'm fine.

Associate
Hillary spinks, firm one currently.
Previous was a Simba, which was ok for a few months, but sagged so much, then hurting my back. Had to pack under the mattress to help.
Previous to that was something from Benson's, but I can't remember, other than it was a spring/foamy thing. Again, lower back pain.

Even moving around through the night hurts lol. But all day I'm fine.
Have a look at John Ryan. We have the Bespoke which is a medium support with a top firm feel - it’s removed all of our back and hip aches and is extremely comfortable- we went super king for a little more space.

Soldato
Have a look at John Ryan. We have the Bespoke which is a medium support with a top firm feel - it’s removed all of our back and hip aches and is extremely comfortable- we went super king for a little more space.
I was going to go John Ryan, but they are quite pricey and as everything else hurts, didn't want to spend 2.5k or there abouts and it doesn't work either lol.

Associate
I was going to go John Ryan, but they are quite pricey and as everything else hurts, didn't want to spend 2.5k or there abouts and it doesn't work either lol.
JR is very good in terms of their CS - they'll exchange it, and if you're still not happy, a full refund. They'll even wait for your new mattress to arrive before collecting their mattress. JR is risk free. Unlike Dreams who only offer 1 exchange.

Soldato
I bought this from a little local shop, so I could lay on different mattresses to try them. Not great, just a few minutes trial, but this one did feel comfy. Some of the really expen6inea didn't!
Turns out it hasn't helped though lol.

Soldato
Got to say we got a Simba Super King Size when we moved house and we are slightly regretting it now. What was fine when we first bought it has sagged a load now and were on the verge of trying to do a warranty claim on it as the sagging is extremely noticeable and is causing both my wife and I sore backs in some sleeping positions which we've just never had in the past.

The annoying this is is that Simba have tolerances they allow for warranty claims but they are quite harsh so just going to try our luck seeing as weve only had it just over a year.

On reflection i wish we'd gone for a firmer pocket sprung mattress,

Associate
Got to say we got a Simba Super King Size when we moved house and we are slightly regretting it now. What was fine when we first bought it has sagged a load now and were on the verge of trying to do a warranty claim on it as the sagging is extremely noticeable and is causing both my wife and I sore backs in some sleeping positions which we've just never had in the past.

The annoying this is is that Simba have tolerances they allow for warranty claims but they are quite harsh so just going to try our luck seeing as weve only had it just over a year.

Sadly, this is what most of the Trustpilot reviews seem to mention. Excellent to start with, but soon sag. They are supposedly very good with their warranty claims so give it a try but expect the same to happen again in and around the same time.

Soldato
Sadly, this is what most of the Trustpilot reviews seem to mention. Excellent to start with, but soon sag. They are supposedly very good with their warranty claims so give it a try but expect the same to happen again in and around the same time.
Yeh. Seems it. I think we would just sell the brand new replacement really and use the cash for that towards a new pocket sprung jobby.

Man of Honour

Yeah we got rid of our Simba - though we used it for over 5 years.

Eve mattresses have a good 50-60% off at the moment if anyone is looking for a new mattress. We have one after moving from a Simba and it's miles better - firmer and it hasn't sagged.

Soldato
I don't think we can go on for too much longer really, especially as the wife is currently pregnant. Could really do with getting something more supportive asap. I imagine warranty claims through Simba aren't very quick though.

Soldato

Big fan of Hypnos sprung mattresses.

Anything with a pillow top or memory foam is best avoided IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
Our Simba would have passed their test, it was very close, but not close enough.

But put a bit of weight on it and it sunk like crazy.
I think I posted this a while back, but here it is again. This is why I needed to put pillows under it, to compensate the sag.

OGiv9kb.jpeg

Soldato
Call me old fasioned, but I think a good quality pocket spring jobbie in your firmness/spring count is best.

I bought a silent night eco 1400 spring about 2 years agao on special offer (double matress, not king) this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W4RQMTA/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

I really like it so far, but one big downside is it's not 'flippable', the top is the top, so you can only rotate it 'front to rear'.

But then It's only cost about £300, and people on here seem to be spending a lot more than that and not being happy after a while.

Back
Top Bottom