Mercedes 2024 Chances

Man of Honour
Had Hamilton walked away with the trophy in 2021 I’d imagine a lot of British fans would have been quite happy with him moving into an Alonso type position. Mid table ambassador of the sport type thing. As it stands there’s no way round it, he deserves - and is owed his eight title and currently it still seems like Mercedes is best placed to give him that.

Currently the more I see of them, the more I’m going off the other British drivers which is a shame. Having disliked the whole fiasco around him joining, I’d say Piastri would be my favourite non-Hamilton driver at the moment!

But they had an absolute dog of a car in 2022 and partly this year. Yet still came second in the constructors and almost second in the WDC. They’re still doing some things better than the other teams, clearly.

Mercedes main advantage as they is that they don't have Ferrari's strategy team (even if the Merc Strategy wasn't always great in 2023)

Soldato
Mercedes main advantage as they is that they don't have Ferrari's strategy team (even if the Merc Strategy wasn't always great in 2023)
True. I wonder if McLaren have already peaked. If they're still on an upward trajectory they could be very tasty indeed for 2024. They seem to be actually capable of changing things whereas Ferrari just seem to.. Ferrari.

Associate
I think Merc will be closer but RB will also improve so it may be best of the rest again. I do hope Merc produce a car that car put RB under proper pressure, 2021 all over again.

Soldato
2021 all over again
Don't say that! :eek:

You're right about RB improving though. For every minute other teams have put into their 2024 car, RB have probably doubled that due to being so far in front in 2023. So we're probably all getting excited about nothing..

Associate
I tvwould be great to to see Mercedes get a competitive car the last 2 seasons have been so dull.
I'd be ok if Verstapen had a team mate who could give a run for the title.

Associate
OP
I tvwould be great to to see Mercedes get a competitive car the last 2 seasons have been so dull.
I'd be ok if Verstapen had a team mate who could give a run for the title.
This is the main difference for Max and Hamilton, Lewis has always had a good quality team mate, Max has a proper number two on team orders and a number two who isn’t that good

Associate
This is the main difference for Max and Hamilton, Lewis has always had a good quality team mate, Max has a proper number two on team orders and a number two who isn’t that good
I don’t think Bottas and Perez are that different.

Associate
OP
I don’t think Bottas and Perez are that different.
Button, Alonso, Rosberg three world champs, Bottas maybe an exception to the rule. Russell an incredible talent. Arguably, if Alonso had been a team player or if Rosberg had been a number two or Hamilton’s car didn’t have a couple of crucial mechanical problems he’d have had two more world titles.

The fact is, Perez has an equal car, Max is number one in the team, he hasn‘t had to fight an equal as well as the rest of the field

Associate
Button, Alonso, Rosberg three world champs, Bottas maybe an exception to the rule. Russell an incredible talent. Arguably, if Alonso had been a team player or if Rosberg had been a number two or Hamilton’s car didn’t have a couple of crucial mechanical problems he’d have had two more world titles.
That's a ridiculous number of "what if" statements that could apply to any of the top drivers.

For Lewis's hybrid era title stint, Rosberg was the only real competition. Bottas had flashes of promise but honestly did very little in his 4-5 years.

The fact is, Perez has an equal car, Max is number one in the team, he hasn‘t had to fight an equal as well as the rest of the field
The current midfield i.e. everyone below Max is far stronger and closer than the previous era, excluding when Ferrari burnt oil. While Perez should be doing significantly better, he has more to fight against than Bottas did hence why I consider them equal talents.

Give any other driver 2 years in that RB and I still think Max would have them.

Associate
That's a ridiculous number of "what if" statements that could apply to any of the top drivers.

For Lewis's hybrid era title stint, Rosberg was the only real competition. Bottas had flashes of promise but honestly did very little in his 4-5 years.

The current midfield i.e. everyone below Max is far stronger and closer than the previous era, excluding when Ferrari burnt oil. While Perez should be doing significantly better, he has more to fight against than Bottas did hence why I consider them equal talents.

Give any other driver 2 years in that RB and I still think Max would have them.

Sorry but no what ifs. Lewis Hamilton has had 3 World champions as team mates Bottas was on an upward curve when was signed.
Who is Max's next team mate, Maureen from Driving School.

Associate
Sorry but no what ifs. Lewis Hamilton has had 3 World champions as team mates Bottas was on an upward curve when was signed.
Clearly didn’t read the comment I quoted, which is pretty typical for this group.

Associate
Clearly didn’t read the comment I quoted, which is pretty typical for this group.
You quoted a few. So maybe I missed one of them. But the point is Max has not had any significant competition for his team mates. As the other teams struggle to get the car to perform Max has filled his boots.
Max is great driver but let's see him tested.

Associate
OP
Exactly this, Lewis didn't want George as he knows he is a threat, when it's time to replace Perez it will be Max that chooses or has a large final say

Soldato
Max is great driver but let's see him tested.
He was in 2021 and it turned him back into a stock car racer that nearly took Hamilton’s head off…

Also disagree with the sentiment that Bottas is similar to Perez. Bottas was out-qualifying Hamilton regularly, and winning races regularly. He was much, much closer to Hamilton’s level than Perez is to Max.

Back
Top Bottom