Michael Schumacher seriously injured

Associate
This is god awful news :( . I remember when I first saw Schumi in his junior Mercedes days and following him through all his glory day's in F1. Quite ironic how nearly 20yrs after Senna passing away through a head trauma, A similar fate is now bestowed on Michael who was behind Ayrton at the time and also 10yrs older than Senna was when he went.

I sincerely hope and pray that he pulls through this, Far too many legends go way before their time. Come on Michael you are strong enough to get through this!!

Soldato
Damn man , this is not looking good at all. Of course you hope for the best, but his injuries are pretty much destroying him from the inside. Even if he comes out of it alive, the chances of him being the same man before the accident will be pretty slim.

Associate
Damn man , this is not looking good at all. Of course you hope for the best, but his injuries are pretty much destroying him from the inside. Even if he comes out of it alive, the chances of him being the same man before the accident will be pretty slim.

Not sure how similar Richard Hammonds injuries were to Michael's but he pulled through to make a full physical recovery....There is hope!!

Soldato
I hope he pulls through. It would be quite sad for someone to go through all those years of F1 and still be standing but then fall to a skiing accident.

Sadder than dying in chair, dribbling and incoherent? I'm not sure if I follow the whole "died doing what he loved" thing, but I'm not sure which is sadder.

He's an adrenaline junkie, as most of them are, and you're always more likely to come to harm chasing thrills. The fact that he was with his 14 year old son suggests he wasn't taking too many risks, but none of us knows what happened - for all we know his son could have been back at the villa and Schumacher might have been pushing himself a bit more. Who knows.

Associate
Sadder than dying in chair, dribbling and incoherent? I'm not sure if I follow the whole "died doing what he loved" thing, but I'm not sure which is sadder.

He's an adrenaline junkie, as most of them are, and you're always more likely to come to harm chasing thrills. The fact that he was with his 14 year old son suggests he wasn't taking too many risks, but none of us knows what happened - for all we know his son could have been back at the villa and Schumacher might have been pushing himself a bit more. Who knows.

I do remember that someone close to Senna said that Ayrton himself always said that he would rather die racing as opposed to being a cripple that resulted from an accident (Think it was not that long before his untimely death tbh).

I am sure though that Schumi would rather still see his children blossom and watch them grow, Rather than die?

Soldato
Just heard the summary of his injuries on the radio. A female (the or one of the surgeons involved I think) said he had an inter cranial haemotimia (spelling?) that they removed with surgery, but then he unfortunately developed bi-lateral lesions which is bruising and swelling of the brain, which of course is serious. Then someone else said the longer someone is in a coma, the less the chances of a full recovery. Not sure if that implies surviving with brain damage or not surviving. Fingers crossed for a full recovery though!

Soldato
Just heard the summary of his injuries on the radio. A female (the or one of the surgeons involved I think) said he had an inter cranial haemotimia (spelling?) that they removed with surgery, but then he unfortunately developed bi-lateral lesions which is bruising and swelling of the brain, which of course is serious. Then someone else said the longer someone is in a coma, the less the chances of a full recovery. Not sure if that implies surviving with brain damage or not surviving. Fingers crossed for a full recovery though!

Assuming this was in English, the only woman I know of was the French-English translator, and you can hear the doctors talking in the background.

I've no idea where the updates will come from. The only change to his prognosis in the 24-48 hours following surgery would be for the worse, as he'll be kept in an induced coma to allow his injuries to stabilise before they consider bringing him out of the coma. The only positive statement that would be released in the next 18 hours would likely be "no change". Personally I'm hoping for no news or no change.

I've not heard the coma/chances of survival - without considering the obvious (coma is never a good thing, medically induced or otherwise), there have been numerous cases of people coming out of a coma after years, and I'm sure I can recall one who fully recovered afterwards.

Man of Honour
First off, this press conference was rather more reassuring than what I expected. I’ll admit that I feared an announcement of a second operation for persistently elevated intracranial pressure (ICP), and the fact that that’s not been needed is good.

So what do we know now? We know that besides keeping Michael deeply asleep, they’ve also slightly lowered his body temperature. This is part of the strategy to optimise the brain’s metabolic state. Along with increasing the delivery of “good stuff” to the brain, reducing the temperature reduces the brain’s need for stuff. Therefore the supply:consumption relation is rendered more favorable.

We’ve’ been told that Michael has bilateral lesions. This mean the brain is wounded in both hemispheres. That shouldn’t surprise us. This was a hard hit. What kind of “lesions”? While we haven’t been told exactly, we can assume a mix of three types. First, the hematoma itself. This is a collection of blood that can be evacuated. That’s been done, and Michael will be examined and scanned regularly in order to detect the formation of any new hematomas, or re-accumulation of the original one.

Next are contusions. These are basically black-and-blue marks in the brain. They result from blunt forces, and consist of areas of swelling and blood that’s seeped out of the vessels into the tissues – just like when you hit your arm. In the brain, as elsewhere, that blood gets absorbed, and the damage heals. Usually fine, but sometimes leaving small cavities behind.

The third type of lesions are at the microscopic level. They consist of damage to the bundles of “cables” (axons) connecting groups of brain cells. This type of damage isn’t readily visible using standard imaging, but is often associated with “poor neurological outcome”. These lesions aren’t treated specifically; rather, they are managed by classic neuro intensive care principles – maximise brain happiness and avoid brain unhappiness.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2013/12/30/the-monday-press-conference/

smr

smr

Soldato
BBC Sport 10:05am 31st December

Michael Schumacher's condition has improved after an operation to relieve pressure on his brain, doctors say

More to follow.

:D:D:D YES!!

Back
Top Bottom