*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
Did you not check the settings? :p

6NoOI2Y.png

Don
What’s the deal with Notepad now opening a new tab every time it’s opened? Just realised that one file has a dozen open tabs displaying the exact same thing.
Because they couldn't entice people into a **** UWP/Store version of notepad without at least adding some functionality.

Completely missing the point of what notepad was normally used for. Moving everything to UWP apps is another pet hate of mine with win10/11. Case in point the **** version of calculator.

Give me native win32 apps any day of the week

Man of Honour
The new Notepad is fine, still loads text files quick and the tabbed UI is nice, the biggest plus point for me is because it's UWP, it also follows the system dark theme. Nothing worse than system-wide dark theme then suddenly blinded by a white Notepad window whenever I need to modify a text file. I have Notepad++ too that behaves like the new Notepad but has visual formatting for code which is handy.

Associate
Yea the new notepad isn’t bad at all, and the tabs feature is convenient.

And completely agree with being flash banged by win10 notepad

Man of Honour
The new Notepad is fine, still loads text files quick and the tabbed UI is nice, the biggest plus point for me is because it's UWP, it also follows the system dark theme. Nothing worse than system-wide dark theme then suddenly blinded by a white Notepad window whenever I need to modify a text file. I have Notepad++ too that behaves like the new Notepad but has visual formatting for code which is handy.

MS made an absolute mess of supporting light/dark theme in apps (for Win32 code) and following system settings, etc. (unless you develop in UWP) :( along with messing everything up with blurred window backgrounds.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The only thing I now see with a white background are Device Manager and Regedit - Two infrequently accessed areas of Windows to be fair. Everything else is dark themed which is rather excellent for my photon holes.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not a fan. Things have been needlessly moved around. It also seems unstable on download lists eg I was doing the Microsoft Store apps updates and sometimes the apps weren't listed. I had to reboot.

For me at the moment in my experience it's battling WinME for the worst Windows.

People mentioned about notepad. If I open a file, which now opens in a tab it never closes. So sometimes I ended up with lots of tabs open. Finding the option to stop this happening, so it behaved like every previous notepad Windows version wasn't obvious either, though I think some options there kept disappearing too.

I just got it setup reasonably well and had to send the laptop for repair, so I'm assuming they reset Windows and I'm going to have to set everything up again :(

Soldato
Anyone installed this optional update yet?

Apparently it's not going to be optional next month.

Man of Honour
I'll go to the effort of designing my own Start Menu from scratch if they start rolling out that **** with no ability to remove it, just having the recommended section there taking up space is bad enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
In the article they say it can be turned off, i assume default is on, but it seems a bit of a boiling frog situation where they introduce something and because it can be turned off few people will bother complaining and some may even defend MS then a few years from now they'll remove the option citing the fact that their metric show most people don't turn it off.

Associate
In the article they say it can be turned off, i assume default is on, but it seems a bit of a boiling frog situation where they introduce something and because it can be turned off few people will bother complaining and some may even defend MS then a few years from now they'll remove the option citing the fact that their metric show most people don't turn it off.

Yep that sounds about right. If this is what MS are going to start doing with their ongoing future updates, I’ll probably go back to custom ISO’s again or windows 10 :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone started seeing stock market and weather appear at the initial windows screen before you login ? I dont remember seeing that before … sigh, it’s yet more tat shoved at you.

I’m more and more noticing that whilst I like the apps I have and use day to day … the underlying OS is becoming more and more annoying … I really just cant understand the direction MS are going.

Back
Top Bottom