*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I find the OS is quite important. Trying using a computer without an OS then tell me how important it is...

Oversimplification at its best, the differences between 10 and 11 are negligible for the majority of users, yeah it looks a bit different but for people to be asking if they should avoid it entirely, years after its been introduced and bugs have been fixed, and to wait for the new version that will no doubt introduce new bugs seems odd no?
Thats the point I was getting at...

Man of Honour
Oversimplification at its best, the differences between 10 and 11 are negligible for the majority of users, yeah it looks a bit different but for people to be asking if they should avoid it entirely, years after its been introduced and bugs have been fixed, and to wait for the new version that will no doubt introduce new bugs seems odd no?

I wouldn't call the absolute ****ification of the Start Menu, the faff with the changes to things like the context menus, etc. negligible for the majority of users, though sadly it seems a lot will just shrug and put up with it.

They really need to abandon whatever stupidity they are using to approach Settings with as well and before they spend any developer time on anything else completely rework that from the ground up with every useful feature from the original control panel present - for example the old Network Connections folder is still necessary and/or just far easier to configure and check stuff for network connections than the existing implementation in Windows 11 settings for networking.

Soldato
Coming from the guy that implies you're only using the OS when you're sitting and looking at the OS...

The OS affects pretty much everything from how you find something to how you launch it, how it runs in the foreground, how it runs in the background and how it closes.
I didn't just ask if it looks nice.

I'm concerned about things like this: Twitch Clip (which I can't seem to get to embed)
Is that still an issue?
That seems like an issue caused by the OS that affects you even when not just sat looking at the OS...

Soldato
MAJORITY OF USERS...

I'll put that in bold for those missing the point..

Suggesting that someone might want to skip from 10 to 12, after years of public use, feature changes, patches etc that Windows 11 has had, for a fresh out of the box Windows 12 seems like a dumb call at best...
There has been call to skip versions of Windows for as long as I can remember, but there will come a time when Microsoft stop support, manufacturers stop driver support and you are forced to move, its the way things are.

And as for suggesting that you are only using the OS when you are sat looking at it, nope, that's not what I said, or meant, at all, and I'm pretty sure you know that..

Soldato
MAJORITY OF USERS...

I'll put that in bold for those missing the point..

Suggesting that someone might want to skip from 10 to 12, after years of public use, feature changes, patches etc that Windows 11 has had, for a fresh out of the box Windows 12 seems like a dumb call at best...
There has been call to skip versions of Windows for as long as I can remember, but there will come a time when Microsoft stop support, manufacturers stop driver support and you are forced to move, its the way things are.

And as for suggesting that you are only using the OS when you are sat looking at it, nope, that's not what I said, or meant, at all, and I'm pretty sure you know that..
Its an OS, its not going to set the world alight or get you laid, and tbh, how often do you sit there and just sit in the OS, its games, or office stuff or web browsing, the OS makes very little difference so I don't get what all the fuss is about...

And in the past I've skipped Windows versions. I skipped Windows ME, I skipped Windows Vista and I skipped Windows 8.

Soldato
Coming from the guy that implies you're only using the OS when you're sitting and looking at the OS...

As you have quoted, I didn't say you are only using the OS when you are sat there looking at it, but again you keep banging that drum with your broken sticks..

I've skipped versions as well, you are suggesting that waiting for 12 to come out and going straight to 12 from 10, have you tried 12 yet, do we know MS haven't broken more and fixed a few bits here and there, again, it seems odd to skip to 12 before its even out...

Your twitch issue, yeah, pita, and if that's your use case, then its valid, but, as I've said in bold before now MAJORITY of users arent Twitch streamers..

Soldato
As you have quoted, I didn't say you are only using the OS when you are sat there looking at it, but again you keep banging that drum with your broken sticks..

I've skipped versions as well, you are suggesting that waiting for 12 to come out and going straight to 12 from 10, have you tried 12 yet, do we know MS haven't broken more and fixed a few bits here and there, again, it seems odd to skip to 12 before its even out...

Your twitch issue, yeah, pita, and if that's your use case, then its valid, but, as I've said in bold before now MAJORITY of users arent Twitch streamers..
You said just sit there in the OS, so your point is that you didn't say "looking at" it, so sitting there in the OS not looking at it? You were suggesting the OS didn't matter when you were running a program as it didn't affect the program. It clearly can.
I don't see the problem with going from 10 to 12 any more than skipping other versions. I don't know why you're making it sound like I'm going to go to windows 12 on day-1. I never said that. But I'd rather give Windows 12 a chance to get to a good state while using a Windows 10 that's in an decent state than wait for Windows 12 while using Windows 11 that's a ****-show. If it is, hence my question.

I'm also not a Twitch streamer but I don't think that matters. If you'd watched the clip you hear that he says any program that's minimised, off screen or not in focus. This could apply to a lot more things than just Twitch streaming. For example having a Twitch stream, Youtube video, Netflix show or whatever playing on a second screen that doesn't have focus. Does this mean that any video playing in a window that doesn't have focus will run at 10fps? While I appreciate not everyone wants to do this, I do.

Also at no point in this conversation have you said that, or anything, in bold.

Man of Honour
11 supports the latest generation of storage stack and subsystem to leverage DirectStorage properly. Win10 supports DirectStorage only via the legacy stack. What this means going forwards nobody can say until more games come out using the full set of DS features and the performance differences (if any) are known.

Man of Honour
11 supports the latest generation of storage stack and subsystem to leverage DirectStorage properly. Win10 supports DirectStorage only via the legacy stack. What this means going forwards nobody can say until more games come out using the full set of DS features and the performance differences (if any) are known.

We'll probably be on Windows 20 before someone leverages DirectStorage or similar properly on the PC :cry:

Man of Honour
Horizon Forbidden West uses it quite effectively, ok it isn't using GDeflate, but that part of DS has issues in itself currently which is why it was broken on Ratchet & Clank and why Nixxes decided not to implement it in HZFW but instead implement seamless streaming textures on a multicore CPU whilst the core loading of the game/levels is done via DirectStorage which works really fast. You're loaded into the game within 5 seconds from launch.

I would be surprised if all future PlayStation ports don't use DirectStorage now either since the consoles are doing it anyway.

Caporegime
Any benefits or negatives to upgrading to windows 11 for gaming? my PC is used for admin work and gaming only.

like any windows you just need to get used to it really which takes a bit of time. also support for win 10 ends next year and they are going to start charging people. which a lot wont know for updates.

" Do you want to keep using Windows 10 after support ends in 2025? Microsoft wants $61 for the first year of extended security updates, which then doubles in year 2 and 3. "

Don
like any windows you just need to get used to it really which takes a bit of time. also support for win 10 ends next year and they are going to start charging people. which a lot wont know for updates.

" Do you want to keep using Windows 10 after support ends in 2025? Microsoft wants $61 for the first year of extended security updates, which then doubles in year 2 and 3. "
Just as well, i'm ok until Jan 12, 2027 then

Man of Honour
In recent times I have been making more and more use of the window snapping feature in 11, especially the recently revised hover over the maximise button on browser/windows button to quick snap and then adjust to my use-case based on what I am doing. It really is cool and the fact that windows you pull out of the snap return to their original size is convenient.

I didn't actually realise you could drag the divider and the surrounding snapped windows scale accordingly.

Don
While clearly not practical to the same level these days - it's stories like this that make you appreciate how far from the "good old days" of Microsoft, that Windows 11 actually is

One enterprising manager took his truck to the local computer store, plucked a copy of every PC program on the shelves, and handed them out to the Windows 95 team. Each member could take up to two programs and was responsible for installing and running them like a normal end user. If anything didn't work, a bug report was filed.

Man of Honour
While clearly not practical to the same level these days - it's stories like this that make you appreciate how far from the "good old days" of Microsoft, that Windows 11 actually is

Think has been posted before but Dave's Garage on YT has loads of insight and source code dissection on that era of Windows. None of the former MS developers of that era seem to have very high opinions of 10/11 though usually somewhat diplomatic about it - I think a lot because they consider themselves innovators and don't see that in Windows development today.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
What’s the deal with Notepad now opening a new tab every time it’s opened? Just realised that one file has a dozen open tabs displaying the exact same thing.

Back
Top Bottom