*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I think there are going to be a lot of moves to Linux for the next round of corporate upgrades.

Windows is reaching the end of its tether with all the stupid changes I think. The whole TPM nonsense was the last straw for many as dumping perfectly good hardware just for that is a huge waste of money for basically nothing. It's causing more problems than it fixes.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What clock? App? The only clock I have ever known and used is the system tray one:

AlzV0kK.png

Man of Honour
I think there are going to be a lot of moves to Linux for the next round of corporate upgrades.

Windows is reaching the end of its tether with all the stupid changes I think. The whole TPM nonsense was the last straw for many as dumping perfectly good hardware just for that is a huge waste of money for basically nothing. It's causing more problems than it fixes.
We have a mix of Windows and Mac, and most user moans come from the Windows camp.

I can go to London and back (1h40 train each way), work a full day, and not have to worry about taking a charger. Whereas all the Dell users are constantly looking for a power source and all I can hear in meeting rooms is their fans spinning up.

I only use Windows where I have to. Such as in my lab for a domain controller, VDIs for customers, or my gaming PC. I used to be a big fan but it just frustrates me these days. Let me do what I want and go away with the full screen takeover after updates etc.

Soldato
Unfortunately, all the originally built-in Windows stuff is apps from the store these days.

You're missing the whole point of the vent though ;)
A clock / stopwatch simply should not need an update. Even if it does, there's absolutely no need for blocking; background updates have been a thing for as long as I can remember....

Soldato
background updates have been a thing for as long as I can remember....
I suspect that's what caused the problem you came across. Windows downloads and prepares updates in the background so the restart is quicker, unfortunately sometimes that means less critical systems get left in a state of limbo until a reboot.

Soldato
Hey,
What's the current situation with 11 in regards to the whole "you must make an online account" and them not wanting you to make a local account unless you jump through hoops I've been hearing about?

Also have they added in the option to "never combine taskbars" now or are they still faffing about with adding stuff nobody's asking for still?

I'm still on 10 here but potentially planning to move to 11 with my new build. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey,
What's the current situation with 11 in regards to the whole "you must make an online account" and them not wanting you to make a local account unless you jump through hoops I've been hearing about?

Also have they added in the option to "never combine taskbars" now or are they still faffing about with adding stuff nobody's asking for still?

I'm still on 10 here but potentially planning to move to 11 with my new build. :)
Afaik online account is still needed.
Never combine is an option now, it's not perfect, but better than nothing.

Soldato
Pressing Shift and F10, or maybe its CTRL and F10, to bring up a dos box and then typing in
oobe/bypassnro
isn't difficult, I do it every time I setup laptops for work, then they get installed with a local account, added to the domain, user of the laptop is made a local admin and then that user signs into their work 365 account.

Soldato
Yes it’s easy when you know how but kinda missing the point. MS have made Windows 11 more intrusive and more bloated than ever. Once you jump through that tiny hoop you have another one to remove the focused ads, or another one to remove the terrible context menu with a mix of icons and text. Or to make the start menu even close to as functional as the old Windows 10 one. Then you have to learn the pointlessly changed settings menu that makes things such as changing your audio output device a convoluted chore etc.

I know I can get around these things but decided not to. Windows 11 offers nothing over 10 that is meaningful to me and obviously the vast majority of PC owners. The fact their adoption rate is getting lower shows it is an utter failure.

It made changes for the sake of change rather than through necessity and above all, it got personal. An OS should not require you to have personal account details logged on a corporate server somewhere, that collects and shares your personal data with “trusted partners”. It absolutely should not then collect personal stuff about you to send you targeted advertisements.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom