Millenia - Paradox new IP to rival Civilization

Man of Honour
Just this minute been announced, historical turn based 4x to rival the Civ series

Man of Honour
OP
Not sure myself, I've always struggled a little to get into the civ type games.
I love the civ games, over 1500 hours in Civ6, over 2000 hours in Civ5. Some of our games on it have lasted 6 months or more (marathon, biggest map possible, 12 civilizations, 4 players)

But Civ has been pretty much unrivalled in the turn based 4x genre now for decades, need something to rival it, so heres hoping.

Soldato
SMAC is the only Civ I cared for, really, and I don't think anything will ever better it.
And that will be because it wasn't really a Sid Meier game at all, he just was the big name on the box :)

Most of the SMAC design and leadership came from Brian Reynolds.
He left after that, and the Civ series has gone downhill since....

Associate
Seen the reviews on steam and IGN, others probably similar, and seems to be a let down, another game removed from my Wishlist. Oh well have to play Civ 5 or 6 again

Caporegime
685aIDO.jpeg

already has multiple DLC

Man of Honour
OP
Sadly about right, I played the demo of it during steams next fest and was very disappointed with it. Definitely not a rival to the Civ games.

Caporegime
Yup…that’s definitely a Paradox title :p
probably a clause if you want them to publish your game

whatever that even means these days, what do publishers do now attempt to find funding? and teach how to exploit your customer for maximum revenue

Last edited:
Soldato
Paradox meaning buying barebones and then throwing DLC at you for years.

I shall pass.

CK2 is still a better game overall than CK3, if you take away the nice graphics. Tons of mechanics in CK2 they could have just brought over but they haven't, and 3 years after release all we have seen is some pretty weak DLC.

Cities Skylines 2 is a total disaster, released a year early because line must go up.

Often you have to wait 5-7 years to get a decent PDX experience, and sometimes it's so misjudged and barebones that they have basically strangled it in the crib like Imperator, now a pretty good game IMO, but way too late for them to monetise.

Man of Honour
OP
CK2 is still a better game overall than CK3, if you take away the nice graphics. Tons of mechanics in CK2 they could have just brought over but they haven't, and 3 years after release all we have seen is some pretty weak DLC.

Cities Skylines 2 is a total disaster, released a year early because line must go up.

Often you have to wait 5-7 years to get a decent PDX experience, and sometimes it's so misjudged and barebones that they have basically strangled it in the crib like Imperator, now a pretty good game IMO, but way too late for them to monetise.

Its a shame Paradox do it really, because ultimately their games do end up being good....in some cases FAR better than good, they sometimes end up being absolutely superb (like Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron and the particularly brilliant Stellaris) but its such a shame that you have to wait so long for them to get to that point.

Soldato
Its a shame Paradox do it really, because ultimately their games do end up being good....in some cases FAR better than good, they sometimes end up being absolutely superb (like Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron and the particularly brilliant Stellaris) but its such a shame that you have to wait so long for them to get to that point.

Yep. I got lucky when I first started playing PDX, I had completed HOI 3, which I loved despite the clunk, and a fully formed CK2 and a excellent fleshed out EUIV.

I see the hype for EUV and I think "Yeah, maybe see ya in 2028".

I'm at that age now where I have to think whether I'm still going to be alive when a game comes out/is worth playing.

:cry:

Associate
Yep. I got lucky when I first started playing PDX, I had completed HOI 3, which I loved despite the clunk, and a fully formed CK2 and a excellent fleshed out EUIV.

I see the hype for EUV and I think "Yeah, maybe see ya in 2028".

I'm at that age now where I have to think whether I'm still going to be alive when a game comes out/is worth playing.

:cry:
haha yeah I'm pretty much the same. With the demise of anything total war I was looking for another strat game and came across CK2 and it had me hooked. I already knew about the EU series but didn't really get stuck into them until EUIV and wow had an addiction to that.

I really should have loved CK3 and have put 50 hours into it but its a shallow shell of a game compared to what CK2 was. Looks like victoria 3 is the same?? Don't know whats going on with PDX, seems management is only concerned on how much they can milk us cash cows with pointless DLC for all their new titles.

Back
Top Bottom