Modifying OcUK

Soldato
OP
Oh yah whoops :cool:

Dunno, my current code is so far removed from the one I uploaded up there that it could be anything. Uninstall for now and install the final one when it's released :)

Associate
robmiller said:

Dunno, my current code is so far removed from the one I uploaded up there that it could be anything. Uninstall for now and install the final one when it's released :)
ok cool :) will the final have the css in it too so i dont have to edit any files? :p

Soldato
OP
SpankLikeThis said:
ok cool :) will the final have the css in it too so i dont have to edit any files? :p

Yep but probably just in a lazy way - ie, you type in a bunch of hex values yourself, no kind of colour-picker or anything.

Soldato
well what i mean is obviously you can make all these edits to web sites, but also you wont have their source, so whats the limitations to the edits you can make...and what code can you write things in?

i was just wondering how else it could be used thats all.

Soldato
OP
Well most of the things you can hack around. Take finding the thread's ID, for instance; it's not always in the URL, so I use this code:

Code:
ocuk.threadId = selectSingleNode(doc, doc, "//input[@type = 'hidden' and @name = 'searchthreadid']").value;

to get it out of the search form's hidden input. It's mainly stuff like that, hacking around the problems you find. Most of it's pretty straightforward though.

As for the language, all Firefox extensions are coded in Javascript and XUL. This is the biggest thing I've ever written in pure JS but I've been pretty comfortable with it for a while. It's just getting used to the things that are different between writing JS for content and JS for XUL and content.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
SpankLikeThis said:

I've changed my mind: probably not. After coding it, it's too annoying to see the flash of default colours before the stylesheet is applied.

Associate
Been playing a little with the Blue/Grey scheme Rob posted, and the only thing stopping me using it is this really annoying border. It seems that darker schemes "hide" the problem, but even knowing its there does my head in, so having it shoved in my face with a lighter scheme is painful :p . I've tried a few work arounds, but nothing works, or it works but creates more problems. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

ocuk_css.jpg

Associate
robmiller said:

Any up date on the buttons as the extension in the first post gives me a huge start bar as well

Sic

Sic

Soldato
haven't had a chance to check it out, but i'll let you know how it goes later.

do you have a copy of the source for ocuk-but-better.xpi that i could peruse? quite interested to see how this is done :)

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Augmented said:
Just open the xpi with some kind of archive manager like winzip, and it's all there for you :).

ah cool...is there a special way to zip it back up? (i might want to alter one of the stylesheets if i can figure out how to do it :))

Back
Top Bottom