Monaco Grand Prix 2016, Monte Carlo - Race 6/21

Caporegime
Imagine he loses the title by 1 or 2 points... Hats will fly! :D

In conditions where the cream rises to the top, on a track that is the biggest challenge all season, and where its meant to be impossible to overtake, Rosberg was so slow his team ordered him to get out the way, he was beaten by a Honda, and he was overtaken with ease.

The guys average at best, totally being carried by the car.

Man of Honour
Hamilton has just had bad luck. He will still easily win the championship as long as he gets reliability. It won't even be close if Rosberg gets the same bad luck this season.

Man of Honour
Just a Indy500 update...

Ex-Caterham and Manor-Marussia F1 driver Alex Rossi, a rookie... has just won the Indy 500.

Was so close on fuel that he's conked out on the cool down lap.

:D

Soldato
In conditions where the cream rises to the top, on a track that is the biggest challenge all season, and where its meant to be impossible to overtake, Rosberg was so slow his team ordered him to get out the way, he was beaten by a Honda, and he was overtaken with ease.

The guys average at best, totally being carried by the car.

Said this after the last race, average driver in a excellent car.

Does he have any fans on here?

Soldato
So since the supposed belief that Jenson is a master in the wet is all anecdotal, can we now say Alonso > Button in the wet?

Transmission breaker
Don
Ric deserved that race, totally screwed by the pit stop. He was all over HamIlton at one point and showing he had the pace.
Would love to know what happened with the tyre call.

Hamilton move on Ric was a bit cheeky, especially with the preceeding corners happenings, but watching the replay, it was nothing like as bad as the Rosberg move last race. So it's fair enough considering that went unpunished.

I have to say I really enjoyed the race? Perhaps watching it on highlights show only was a blessing, but plenty going on to keep it interesting compared to other Monaco races!

Soldato
Great race by Hamilton - did everything he could have done, got his break and made it work.

The race overall though? Dull for me. Yes, lots of incidents but really short on decent racing. Showed once again why Monaco has no place on the modern F1 calendar, and all today did was give Bernie more ideas about sprinklers.

Caporegime
I really enjoyed today's race. Monaco in the wet is always a treat, although it's a shame they neutered it by starting under the safety car, and it delivered. Ricciardo was very unlucky not to win, utterly shafted by his team's failures, but I'm glad Lewis won for the sake of the championship and he had his share of poor luck and bad team decisions. Rosberg was thoroughly mediocre today, and although it was bad timing that put him so far back he was slow from start - where he held Lewis up horribly - to the end where Hulkenburg jumped him on the last lap. That may have been down to brake issues but it will be playing on his mind come next race.

Verstappen showed both his skill and his lack of experience today; it was a great drive until he stuck it in the wall and both Sauber's showered themselves in the smelly stuff with an impressive piece of teammate-on-teammate ineptitude.

Caporegime
The race overall though? Dull for me. Yes, lots of incidents but really short on decent racing. Showed once again why Monaco has no place on the modern F1 calendar, and all today did was give Bernie more ideas about sprinklers.

Monaco isn't about overtaking; it's about each driver against the track. I'd hate to see it leave the F1 calendar but I'd equally hate to see it joined by similar tracks.

Soldato
But that's not a motor race. If that's what Monaco is then why not just rock up for the weekend and do some time trials? At night?

Monaco's history is constantly stuffed down my throat, but when we get there the drivers and the commentators are pretty honest about the poor racing and lacking of opportunity to overtake.

Heck, if it isn't about overtaking then forget the 'race' and just sell the DVD highlights of qualifying.

Soldato
I'd love to see Lewis' outlap after he switched from Extreme Wets to Ultra Softs on lap ~37, he must have been tip-toeing through some corners, with a positively awful outlap time.

Lewis pitted while ahead of Ricci, Ricci came in next lap with a massive pit crew blunder with no tyres ready (losing 5+ seconds?), only for Ricci to exit the pits right on Lewis' tail.

alx

alx

Soldato
I'd love to see Lewis' outlap after he switched from Extreme Wets to Ultra Softs on lap ~37, he must have been tip-toeing through some corners, with a positively awful outlap time.

Lewis pitted while ahead of Ricci, Ricci came in next lap with a massive pit crew blunder with no tyres ready (losing 5+ seconds?), only for Ricci to exit the pits right on Lewis' tail.

Yeah, it was obviously pretty slow! I read it was ~10 secs Ricciardo lost in that pitstop. It was mentioned a few times that the ultra softs definitely take a while to get up to temperature, also saw it after the virtual safety car a couple of times where Ricci was right on Hamilton's tail.

In hindsight the super softs may have been the better tyres to use, but hey ho he won so doesn't really matter :).

Caporegime
I found some times on the lap to see the difference.

Ricciardo definitely made up some times. Perez pitted a couple laps before Hamilton and did a 109 lap with the pitstop, Ham did a 112 and Ricciardo a 116, so released from the wet tire Hamilton Ricciardo made a load of time up.

First outlap Perez did a 94, 89, 86, 86 then VSC. Hamilton did a 101, then a 90, then VSC. Ricciardo came straight out and did a 93. So Hamilton's outlap was horrible, it was 7 seconds slower than Perez 2 laps later and in the cross over conditions it changed from just inters to slicks very quickly, then it's Merc vs FI. On softs or maybe even supersofts Hamilton would have come out and done a 91-92 probably so he did lose almost 10 seconds there IMHO. Had Ricciardo not had the awful pitstop but Hamilton been on softs nothing would have changed I don't think except Hamilton's tires wouldn't have gotten so slow after the VSC and allowed Ricciardo to attack him and he'd have been able to push harder over the whole stint.

Soldato
Ricciardo lost about 9 seconds in the pits - his stop was 13.1 secs.

What really grates on me is Benson's article on why Hamilton's drive classes him as 'great' - Rosberg kindly letting him by and a pit stop blunder is hardly a great drive. Yes, in terms of luck it's probably fair that all panned out for him but it's not down to a great drive imo.

Back
Top Bottom