Monitor for photography

Soldato
I've been in both corners and, given the choice, I would much prefer a flat display to a curved one for photo editing.
I will admit that with the three curved monitors I had in the past the Alienware (IPS 34 inch) was the best of them owing to its subtle curve which I appreciated. However, as I said, I'd still opt for flat display if it was solely for that purpose. I stuck with curved displays for so long because I wanted a jack of all trades monitor for editing, work and gaming. I no longer needed for gaming so I went back to flat display and happy I did.

I will admit the OLED goodness of the new Alienware is very appealing but at this point I don't think I could drop down to 1440p from 4k - but that's just me.

Man of Honour
I think those saying curved = bad for editing simply have no edited on the correct R rating monitor. I used to think the same as all the curved monitors on the market at the time were heavy curves, whereas nowadays the curve on monitors that are curved and are geared towards a combo of applications including professional use, are subtle and basically look flat as mentioned when you're sat in right front of it to the point you never even notice the curve but appreciate it in media/games.

An 1800R curve is what mine has and that's nigh on perfect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, I've used curved. Calibrated. Have printed and completed my photography RPS distinction with it.

Wouldn't have anything else.

Soldato
I've been in both corners and, given the choice, I would much prefer a flat display to a curved one for photo editing.
I will admit that with the three curved monitors I had in the past the Alienware (IPS 34 inch) was the best of them owing to its subtle curve which I appreciated. However, as I said, I'd still opt for flat display if it was solely for that purpose. I stuck with curved displays for so long because I wanted a jack of all trades monitor for editing, work and gaming. I no longer needed for gaming so I went back to flat display and happy I did.

I will admit the OLED goodness of the new Alienware is very appealing but at this point I don't think I could drop down to 1440p from 4k - but that's just me.

Agree entirely and I think that OLED monitor is just a test really. There is nothing stopping a flat version being made because the OLED layer is flexible AFAIK. There will be other monitors which will have it too. But my bigger issues with OLED will be burn-in over time,especially as some of the Windows elements such as the taskbar are static. Hopefully this is not a concern with the current generation.

Been trying a curved monitor out,and definitely don't like the curve for image editing,as does another mate who is doing other photo work. Even subtle distortion is still distortion and I really can't see how a curve actually helps,when the sensor on the camera or the photos that get printed are flat as a pancake. It's also telling when I went to some of the equipment/technology exhibitions,none of the companies seem to use them or base products around them. Now you can work around it,but seems more an exercise in doing something because you can.

I think it must be a gaming/tech forum thing because curved TVs never caught on either despite popularity on tech forums like here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agree entirely and I think that OLED monitor is just a test really. There is nothing stopping a flat version being made because the OLED layer is flexible AFAIK. There will be other monitors which will have it too. But my bigger issues with OLED will be burn-in over time,especially as some of the Windows elements such as the taskbar are static. Hopefully this is not a concern with the current generation.
I would even be happy enough with mini-LED which has none of those drawbacks and I can safely say the display on my MacBook Pro is by far the best I’ve ever used. A 27/32 inch version of that would be just the ticket (for me).
Been trying a curved monitor out,and definitely don't like the curve for image editing,as does another mate who is doing other photo work. Even subtle distortion is still distortion and I really can't see how a curve actually helps,when the sensor on the camera or the photos that get printed are flat as a pancake. It's also telling when I went to some of the equipment/technology exhibitions,none of the companies seem to use them or base products around them. Now you can work around it,but seems more an exercise in doing something because you can.
The curve certainly doesn’t ‘help’ but whether it is detrimental is mostly down to the user I think.
I think it must be a gaming/tech forum thing because curved TVs never caught on either despite popularity on tech forums like here.
The whole curved TV thing was a massive gimmick IMO. Where they differ from curved monitors is that the curve only works if you’re sitting directly in front of it - as you would with a monitor. The same can definitely not be said for a family TV in a living room since all the viewers are at different angles to the screen.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Easier to bring this thread back to life than start a new one...

Looking at replacing an antique Samsung 22" monitor with something around 27", 32" maybe too big and I'm not looking at ultra wide screens.

Currently have my eye on a
Dell-ultrasharp u2724d
With health service discount of 10% on top.

Not looking at 4k and would mainly be editing with some minor gaming, I'd like to calibrate it correctly as well.

Any recommendations/advice or feedback on the linked monitor?

Associate
Seems to review well on DisplayNinja

Good price and the factory calibration seems impressive. I'd lean more towards 4k for the pixel density, but 1440p is OK. Definitely invest in hardware calibration. I use Calibrite, but Spyder isn't bad either. Just don't go for the entry level models as they're very feature limited.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom