Monitor Help - Weird looking colours

Associate
Hi all,

Please help as I am having a hard time Identifying why this is happening.
I have 2 current monitors connected to my pc:

Main: LG 27GL850-B
Secondary: Dell AW2518H (this is pretty old)

But I have some weird colour banding issues, this is coming up on both monitors albeit more common on the older monitor and while its not major, I kind of just want to get it fixed.
Attached a picture of it, but to me it feels like my monitors are struggling to blend colours correctly.

Its pretty noticable in darker scenes and loading screens with games, so I am really hoping its something simple I am just overlooking

https://imgur.com/a/hjOiYz6 (Cant figure out how to upload an image xD)

My logic is because I am seeing this on both monitors, this is likely more a colour setting or something along that line.
Also worth noting, both screens at set to 144hz (143.97 from Windows Display Settings)

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
How are the monitors connected to your PC, via a single graphics card? I've seen these kind or artefacts caused by driver issues, cables or failing graphics cards.

The first thing I would do is check you are running the latest driver for your graphics card. If you are, install the previous one instead and see if there is any difference.

Does it only happen when you've got a game open?

Associate
OP
How are the monitors connected to your PC, via a single graphics card? I've seen these kind or artefacts caused by driver issues, cables or failing graphics cards.

The first thing I would do is check you are running the latest driver for your graphics card. If you are, install the previous one instead and see if there is any difference.

Does it only happen when you've got a game open?
RTX3080
Both screens connected, Alienware via HDMI and LG with display port.

Graphics drivers have been a case for as long as I can remember and I keep them updated.

its not on a game, its on the desktop and overall.

Associate
OP
It might be worth adding, it seems to be on darker colours rather than lighter.

So YouTube videos and media content are much more noticeable than games even during helldivers on a dark planet I cant really see it.

Associate
OP
Bump, still looking for advice here.
It seems to be primarily on the desktop or video content.

Games this isn't really noticeable and if connect to my TV, I definitely don't have the issue.

Associate
Dumb question - I take it that this issue doesn't happen if you have just one monitor plugged in?

Have you tried plugging both monitors in via HDMI or display port to see if that makes a difference

Associate
OP
Dumb question - I take it that this issue doesn't happen if you have just one monitor plugged in?

Have you tried plugging both monitors in via HDMI or display port to see if that makes a difference
Both monitors are connected with HDMI/ Display port, ill have to give it a test to check if they make a difference, ill go swap them :)

Associate
OP
Okay so I am apparently really out of touch with what my pc is using.

I have 2 display ports connected to both monitors.
Both monitors show the same results but both monitors are connected to different display ports.

Windows shows screen is running at 143.97hz for both screens.

When connected via HDMI 2.1 it works perfectly.

I have an RTX3080 10Gb.

I am pretty sure its something to do with my display ports, just not sure what at this point.

Associate
OP
Just found my issue.

Digital vibrance in the Nvidia settings.
Had it set to 60%, turn it down to 50% and it works perfectly.

Interesting, never found that before :)

So the issue was called colour clipping.
And some monitors just do not deal with it at all.

Set them around to 45% now and while not as vivid, i guess this is more colour accurate and actually more comfortable on the eyes.
Didn't expect to find the solution so fast :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom