Mortgage Rate Rises

Soldato
For myself. I've always hoped rate would be below 3 by time come to remortgage. That would be good enough. Anything less is a bonus

I think people are forgetting that wages "should" be adjusted with rate of inflation, and the cost of shelter is part of the inflation calculations. The longer you have till your remortage the better of a chance of your wages catching up.

my mortage when up by 2.02 percent last year, but my salary went up by 4% this year and 5.8% the year before...

It shouldn't matter if intreast rates are at 15% if you're getting a 20% payraise...

Soldato
I think people are forgetting that wages "should" be adjusted with rate of inflation, and the cost of shelter is part of the inflation calculations. The longer you have till your remortage the better of a chance of your wages catching up.

my mortage when up by 2.02 percent last year, but my salary went up by 4% this year and 5.8% the year before...

It shouldn't matter if intreast rates are at 15% if you're getting a 20% payraise...
That’s not quite right, as your mortgage wouldn’t have gone up by a proportional 2.02%. For a lot of people that could have doubled the interest charged on their mortgage.

fez

fez

Caporegime

Thats 15% is probably on a sum far higher than your salary and you don't get to take tax off that 15%. If you get a 20% payrise and are a higher rate earner you could be seeing a real term pay rise of more like 10-12%. A huge amount of that money you are paying into your mortgage will be going purely to service the debt as well. There are also plenty of people who don't get inflation beating payrises.

High interest rates in general are not good for peoples wealth.

Caporegime

My mortgage interest went up 3%, but that actually meant it went up +243%, which saw my mortage payments increase by 50%, and the share of that repayment that was capital repayment significantly decrease.

Even with a potential 33% payrise later this year, I'd still be down a large chunk compared to 2022.

Caporegime

As others have said. The typical mortgage is so much as a ratio to free cash after tax etc, absolute salary vs absolute mortgage matters.

Ie.
I earn 1 pound and get a 100pc pay increase.
Yay. 2 pounds.
But
I have a 100k mortgage and it goes up 1 percent.

That pay rise is wiped out by orders of magnitude.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom