Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
I know he's clearly "got it right" this cycle and as much as I have huge respect for what Newey has done; you also need to look at the vast parts of the last 20-30 years where his cars haven't been out front so its not as if there isn't other capable designers out there; Ferrari, Mercedes and others have had fast, front running, race winning (if not championship winning) cars with zero input from Adrian Newey. In fact both Ferrari and Mercedes had periods of dominance without Newey.

Newey has been the only person though who has been able to catch up and no one has had the longevity he had. Everywhere he has gone has been success and for nearly 40 years too. The only rare blip was McLaren for about 4 season but in a 40 year span I will give him that. I also think a lot more of the failing in that time was due to internal struggles rather than Newey.

90's he was the king pretty much. 98 rule change he blitzed it, 09 Rule change he made a monster of a car but with a lack of DD it wasn't until they retrofitted that they went steaming off into the distance. 14 rule change again he made a fantastic car but had a rubbish engine. If Redbull had that Mercedes power plant it would have most likely been on top. Now he has got the engine RB are just unstoppable.

What is more dissapointing is that no one has come up through the ranks and been able to challenge him. I guess it is more the corporate nature of everything now that stifles the young and intellegent more than anything.

Man of Honour
Newey has been the only person though who has been able to catch up and no one has had the longevity he had. Everywhere he has gone has been success and for nearly 40 years too. The only rare blip was McLaren for about 4 season but in a 40 year span I will give him that. I also think a lot more of the failing in that time was due to internal struggles rather than Newey.

90's he was the king pretty much. 98 rule change he blitzed it, 09 Rule change he made a monster of a car but with a lack of DD it wasn't until they retrofitted that they went steaming off into the distance. 14 rule change again he made a fantastic car but had a rubbish engine. If Redbull had that Mercedes power plant it would have most likely been on top. Now he has got the engine RB are just unstoppable.

What is more dissapointing is that no one has come up through the ranks and been able to challenge him. I guess it is more the corporate nature of everything now that stifles the young and intellegent more than anything.
Your probably bang on about it all being more corporate now; heck even since the early 00's when we still had proper privateer teams like Jordan its all got a bit sterile.

I think as well people aren't given the time that others might have got; it seems to be instant success or out

Last edited:
Soldato
Away from F1's silly season this is worth a good read
BBC News - Sid Watkins, Ayrton Senna and Formula 1's safety revolution - BBC Sport

Bernie has come in for a lot of criticism but without him and Watkins F1 might not have survived. They witnessed great tragedies in the sport and did something about it.
RIP Senna

Last edited:
Soldato
BBC reporting Newey negotiating to start elsewhere in 2025, wonders where he is going exactly.
I’m guessing they’ll use the instability as one of the reasons he shouldn’t need to work the gardening leave/full terms of contract. I can’t really see how else he’ll be able to over turn that. (I’d like to see him at another team for 2025 though… :D ) Mercedes would be amazing purely to upset Horner further. Haha!

Soldato
Away from F1's silly season this is worth a good read
BBC News - Sid Watkins, Ayrton Senna and Formula 1's safety revolution - BBC Sport

Bernie has come in for a lot of criticism but without him and Watkins F1 might not have survived. They witnessed great tragedies in the sport and did something about it.
RIP Senna

If you've never seen this, this is also a great watch. Goes back to the 60's/70's and looks at the safety issues.

Associate
Newey moving on seemed inevitable. Will be interesting to see if he joins another team and if and when he does, how much impact he can have. Obviously with RBR he was given carte blanche to do as he pleased and shape a young team. Whereas going into e.g. Ferrari/Merc, who have very rigid structures and have proved they have a general unwillingness to change quickly, could affect his ability to work long term. Especially when you consider he's almost 65 and will be closer to 67 when the new regs come in, so after a few years development he'd likely be into his 70s. I don't think anything is concrete. Still, a shake up nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom