Mountain Biking

Soldato
If this had the Bosch motor it would have been a hands down winner for me. Best looking and handling bike in the line-up.

7EVn5Ut.jpeg

I think the Neuron will be a great trail bike, and I was pleasantly surprised by how punchy the motor was in turbo, but for Rogate use it also felt the worst for me. I didn't like the feel of a full 29" to the mullets and it's under travelled for park use, but get it out in the countryside it would be a different story.

iNV9JNJ.jpeg

Caporegime
Surprised the new neuron felt the worst, I considered a lightweight model. Quite glad I went full ebike. Though I still think lightweight ebikes will be the future of ebikes. Just probably be very expensive.
Nearly everyone seems to go full ebike at least on MTB forums.
I don't get how the tiny weight savings are worth it.
Bosch SX is 2kg
Bosch CX is 2.79kg
saving an amazing 0.79kg on the motor, in percentage terms it's huge but in reality come on? is it worth?

750wh tube battery is 4.3kg
400wh compact tube is 2kg + they seem to come with the 250watt range extender which weighs 1.5kg...

0.8kg on the batteries but have 100 less capacity, drop a 625 weighing 3.65kg in a full fat bike, never ride full power and your basically mostly a light weight ebike anyway?

if light weight motors become a thing it's because it's forced with no other choice, purely to save money.

the most reliable Bosch bikes according to thebearingman were the early full fat motors because they were over engineered, with a rubber seal kit they last forever.

as CX got lighter they also got less reliable parts fitted inside, the SX light weight motors how long will they really last? how reliable are they?

to me I don't see how the tiny weight saving is worth it, maybe if your 60kg to you its huge, but as a big bloke it's barely a few percent of my body weight

pedal strike on a full fat slightly worrying, pedal strike on a light weight motor? not for me, I'm out

On light weight you need to pedal at higher cadence than on a full fat to get the same power output from the motor btw
with a SX it only outputs 600watts peak power at 100+ cadence.

Bosch own website has the text

The Performance Line SX is significantly more compact in design and lighter in weight. Due to the lower torque, however, it requires a higher cadence to achieve the same support
not worth for the weight saving...

100cadence :cry: might as well be on a analogy bike spinning up that hill.

SX must get hotter than a CX at the same cadence then when the motor is struggling to give enough torque, so the motors performance drops off to prevent overheating, the motors also smaller and contains less metal so it's less effective as a heatsink

also text from Bosch own website
For eBikes, we distinguish between rated continuous output and maximum power. Maximum mechanical power (also called peak power) describes the maximum power that the motor can call up for a short time under optimal conditions (e.g. sufficiently charged battery), for example on climbs.
The duration depends on several factors, such as the cooling of the eBike components, the charge level of the battery and the outside temperature. By calling up the maximum power, the eBike components continue to heat up, which means that the maximum power cannot be called up permanently to protect the components.

Hopefully this puts anyone off buying one :p

a lot of people buy their kids Ebikes though including full fat ones, so I guess theres a market for them.

Last edited:
Associate
climachx is good fun, right next to Dyfi but may not be a bit short on an e-bike at 15km.

If you fancy another uplift Antur Stiniog is great.
Yeah Stiniog is on the list of places to do in the future. We just wanted somewhere like Cannock Chase just to get some miles in before hitting Dyfi the next day thats all.

Soldato
to me I don't see how the tiny weight saving is worth it, maybe if your 60kg to you its huge, but as a big bloke it's barely a few percent of my body weight

Think you hit the nail on the head, lightweight riders will see the biggest benefit of lightweight bikes, if you're heavier and theoretically stronger, then muscling around a full fat isn't so much of an issue for you, but isn't this a good thing as long as both are available?

Picking up the Neuron and Torque side by side the weight difference is very noticeable, how noticeable this is when riding I think will be down to the rider.
As I see it lightweight motors will suit trail bikes more, where you're more frequently having to pick the bike up over obstacles. For enduo and shuttling full fat all the way, as long as there are no locked gates on the way up :)

Soldato
Planned to do Snowdon again with a couple of friends in a few weeks, been a long time since I last did it. Hopefully to get to the top for sunrise.

Soldato
I'm looking to buy a new full suspension bike for the Summer so would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations from the OCUK Pedal Powered Hivemind!

I could do with some advice regarding the suspension setup/components as I'm not really familier with the higher end forks/shocks or groupsets?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I bought a Rockshox high pressure 600psi shock pump and it's so much better than the Beto crap I had been using.
Hit 290psi without feeling any resistance at all
the little pressure relief button works great even for removing 1-2psi at a time
The build quality seems high and there's some weight to it

I ordered from BikeTart last night with an estimated delivery date of 7-10 because of the bank holiday, same estimate for all shipping options so I just went with the free option.
They shipped it out with 24hour postage so I got it this morning :D

I'm sure they've done the same in the past when I've ordered just before a bank holiday weekend.

Well I’ve cooked my rotors either by not bedding in properly or by pushing 110kg inc bike along with 200mm centerlines on my codes.

Going to size up and go 2 piece Magura MDR-P 220mm to see what happens
I've got 203/220 on my bike.
my bike weighs like 26kg without accessories and I was around 108kg last summer.
my rotors/pads lasted fine

Maybe you just didn't bed them in properly, I often clean mine since my LBS had workshop size cans in stock for the same price as the normal little ones :O

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got 203/220 on my bike.
my bike weighs like 26kg without accessories and I was around 108kg last summer.
my rotors/pads lasted fine

Maybe you just didn't bed them in properly, I often clean mine since my LBS had workshop size cans in stock for the same price as the normal little ones :O
This was one of my thoughts. Bedding can work well 99% of the time but sometimes you have a defective disc, pad etc. it happens. The fact it was both though would lead me to think they have been cooked. Shiny surface on the pad contact area and bleeding rainbows down rotor towards the centre by around 3-5mm. It looks like they’ve been forged from titanium :D

Everything has either shipped or landed with me, I was hoping to fit them this back holiday but Sod’s Law, mounts won’t land until Tuesday. It is what it is. Luckily the weather is rubbish or I’d be rather miffed!

Caporegime
I guess with rotors most don't last long anyway.
is it shimano with the recommended minimum thickness thats so low even with a digital caliper and brand new discs they are basically showing as ready to be replaced as you buy them

Soldato
Just booked 9 days up around Dyfi start of June. Probably be my last riding of the year as waiting on surgery for a torn bicep tendon.

Prob get 4 days dyfi, a day stiniog and a day at Caersws. Then some pedal days / mornings if have any energy for them.

Now just to try and get a hardline ticket to top it of.

Soldato
Just booked 9 days up around Dyfi start of June. Probably be my last riding of the year as waiting on surgery for a torn bicep tendon.

Prob get 4 days dyfi, a day stiniog and a day at Caersws. Then some pedal days / mornings if have any energy for them.

Now just to try and get a hardline ticket to top it of.
Love Stiniog but it needed a bit of TLC the last time I went some huge breaking bumps and washed away bits.

Soldato
Love Stiniog but it needed a bit of TLC the last time I went some huge breaking bumps and washed away bits.
Been nearly a year since ive been, was in pretty bad shape then. Hoping they have put some work in.

Though looks like they got rid of one of my favourite parts, the awful rocks at the top of the black runs.

Soldato
Been nearly a year since ive been, was in pretty bad shape then. Hoping they have put some work in.

Though looks like they got rid of one of my favourite parts, the awful rocks at the top of the black runs.
Just checked a video on YouTube after reading this. That sucks it does look like the steep rock drop thingy at the top off Black Powder has gone. Unless you can still do it by going over to the left but it looks to have been replaced with a boring slope in the left berm. I thought its mean to be a black run.... :p

Soldato
Soldato
Just checked a video on YouTube after reading this. That sucks it does look like the steep rock drop thingy at the top off Black Powder has gone. Unless you can still do it by going over to the left but it looks to have been replaced with a boring slope in the left berm. I thought its mean to be a black run.... :p
I am noticing it more and more, places, removing more techy parts of trails and smoothing things out.

Back
Top Bottom