Moving on from 24" 1080p monitor

Associate
Actually 1440p on 24" looks very good. Due to a very high pixel density. You certainly won't need AA any more.
I second this. Also you can set scaling to 200% in Windows, so non-high-DPI-aware apps are pixel doubled - and not blurry at all. Everything is very sharp.

If you go this route, I strongly recommend looking at Dell U2515H - its really amazing screen in its segment.

Associate
Actually 1440p on 24" looks very good. Due to a very high pixel density. You certainly won't need AA any more.

Yep, so I hear.

I second this. Also you can set scaling to 200% in Windows, so non-high-DPI-aware apps are pixel doubled - and not blurry at all. Everything is very sharp.

If you go this route, I strongly recommend looking at Dell U2515H - its really amazing screen in its segment.

I was looking at a Dell P2416D, but that U2515H looks amazing, and at 25" it's good value.

Associate
Usefull input, thanks.
Would you say a 27" 1440p monitor is too big for dota 2 and the likes?

I sent back a 27" as I only play fps and I couldn't push monitor back enough. If your too close you'll have to move head slightly for checking the corners of the screen which is poor for fps games. That's why 99% of pro fps players use 24" but just base it on how close you are, over an arms length you may want to go 27". you could always just be a geek and cut out the 27" screen size of card. Set up the distance where you want it to be and check that you can cover the screen area with just your eyes. I have no clue about dota though Weather or not speed for scanning the screen counts towards anything in that game.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

Soldato
I didn't get on with 27". I found it just to big for the distance I was sitting from it. It made my eyes really tired after a while because I kept having to scan across the screen.

Though I have moved house and have a new desk now, so I might try a larger screen again.

Permabanned
I cannot go over 24 inch without the desk becoming cramped either so yo are not alone 27 inch would fry my eye balls... As for Dota on a 27 inch that game along with 90% of games now have no MSAA all the rest are junk FXAA,SMAA,TXAA,SSGSSA they all blur Tomb Raiders Super Sampling being a prime example of blur for a massive performance hit.

If you ask me 4K is the go to resolution now.

Associate
for MOBA's you want a small, fast, responsive monitor with minimum input lag.

playing a MOBA on a 27" is a little too large imo - it's difficult to see everything on screen at once, especially important info at corners like the minimap. 24" is optimal for me.

i imagine for RTS games it's similar.

(27" is better for more cinematic games however)

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually found the large curved AMVA monitors pretty good for gaming on. You do need a LOT of desk space though and need to sit the right distance from them.

They are 1080 and there's a slight loss in sharpness over a 24" as it's the same scaling as 27". But the up side is faster response times, no backlight glow due to being VA (so blacks are near perfect), way cheaper and you don't need such a beefy GPU to run it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom