• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI Geforce RTX 3090TI Black Trio 24G Cable Problem

Associate
Hi,
I was bought this card as a present quite some time ago - and had opened it at the time and had a look at the contents but with work commitments over the last year, I haven't had time to upgrade my PC with IT. Now that I've gone to do it, I cannot see how to connect it to my PC PSU.

The PSU I have is a Gigabyte UD850GM. Looking online it would appear that this PSU is satisfactory power wise for adding the GPU to my system. My issue is the cable required to do this. There's no cable in the box with the 3090TI that would connect to the card and the PSU - it appears I need a 12PIN (2 rows of 6 pins) mini connector on the 3090TI side and I think 3 x PCI-E 8PIN connectors on the PSU side.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get a cable? There's a number of cables that fit the bill from China, but I'm a little wary to go get one and I'd rather purchase the correct one from a recommendation here if possible.

Thanks,

KbJunkie.

Man of Honour
it appears I need a 12PIN (2 rows of 6 pins) mini connector on the 3090TI side and I think 3 x PCI-E 8PIN connectors on the PSU side.
The adapter in the box will usually just connect to 3x PCI-E 8 pin cables from your PSU (any recent PSU should have plenty of these) and then you plug the other (12 pin) end into the graphics card.

You can buy two types of 12/16 pin cables (4 pins are the sense pins).
1. You buy a native cable from your PSU manufacturer (your PSU only), which just connects directly to the PSU like any other cable.
2. You buy a universal (any PSU) adapter which connects to PCI-E 8 pin connectors and then into the card.

For pretty much all cards, option 2. should not be necessary, since the cards come bundled with the necessary adapter.

From what I can see online, your PSU has 4x PCI-E 8 pin cables, so you should be able to use the adapter.

Note that the universal adapters for 12VHWPR were developed after the 3090 and I'm not 100% sure that they're compatible with these older RTX 3000 cards.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The adapter in the box will usually just connect to 3x PCI-E 8 pin cables from your PSU (any recent PSU should have plenty of these) and then you plug the other (12 pin) end into the graphics card.

You can buy two types of 12/16 pin cables (4 pins are the sense pins).
1. You buy a native cable from your PSU manufacturer (your PSU only), which just connects directly to the PSU like any other cable.
2. You buy a universal (any PSU) adapter which connects to PCI-E 8 pin connectors and then into the card.

For pretty much all cards, option 2. should not be necessary, since the cards come bundled with the necessary adapter.

From what I can see online, your PSU has 4x PCI-E 8 pin cables, so you should be able to use the adapter.

Note that the universal adapters for 12VHWPR were developed after the 3090 and I'm not 100% sure that they're compatible with these older RTX 3000 cards.
Thanks for the info Tetras :)

Associate
OP
is that the same psu as the ones tested here :eek:

Haha! I was doing a bit of research after Captain_Bosh and Tetras' posts - and decided that I would be better off getting a new power supply after seeing that video! I've just ordered a Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W Fully Modular 80+ Gold ATX3.0 PSU after looking at reviews.. I hope I've made a good choice!

@Captain_Bosh and @Tetras - thank you for all of the information - it really helped (along with the video above from @chaparral ) to make the decision just to buy a new PSU :)

Cheers,

KBJunkie.

Man of Honour
is that the same psu as the ones tested here :eek:

It is the updated version, I believe.

The Gigabyte UD850GM looks to have solved all the problems of its predecessor, but it stays behind in overall performance. You expect a new model to offer higher performance than the previous one, but this is not the case here. However, we choose reliability over performance any day of the week. If you want something better, you should look at the Corsair RM850x, which lives on our best PSUs article, and the Cooler Master V850 Gold V2.

The Gigabyte UD series still uses MEIC, the same OEM as the legendary P-GM series. However, the platforms have been upgraded to cope with the failures of past models. The lower capacity members of the line don't have a PCIe 5.0 connector, contrary to the 1000 W model. That said, a connector addition doesn't provide compatibility with the newest ATX v3.0 spec. The transient tests for the PSUs having a PCIe 5.0 connector are extra tough, and we expect that many units will not be able to pass them. The UD850GM only has legacy PCIe connectors, so we won't test it under the new transient response scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom