Multi-room home hi-fi

Associate
Hi everyone, I'm soon to be moving house and wondered what a good system is for having pairs of speakers (yes, true stereo!) in 4 different rooms?

I'd be playing music from my phone (latency is ok) or using the PC/TV with 0 latency. I'm assuming it would be best as a wifi based system for the phone/music, then directly wired for PC/TV but I'm out the loop so don't know what's best.

Doesn't need to be audiophile quality as I've been using those cheapish Nobsound bluetooth amps and passive monitor speakers for years now find it's good enough.

Soldato
Hi everyone, I'm soon to be moving house and wondered what a good system is for having pairs of speakers (yes, true stereo!) in 4 different rooms?

I'd be playing music from my phone (latency is ok) or using the PC/TV with 0 latency. I'm assuming it would be best as a wifi based system for the phone/music, then directly wired for PC/TV but I'm out the loop so don't know what's best.

Doesn't need to be audiophile quality as I've been using those cheapish Nobsound bluetooth amps and passive monitor speakers for years now find it's good enough.

Thats a really low budget, but if you could find some working Chromecast Audio's (used they dont sell them new anymore) then you could get something working with your nobsound amps VERY cheap.

Or you could use the Wiim Mini streamer's instead - they're around £90 a pop.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thats a really low budget, but if you could find some working Chromecast Audio's (used they dont sell them new anymore) then you could get something working with your nobsound amps VERY cheap.

Or you could use the Wiim Mini streamer's instead - they're around £90 a pop.
Ah that's a good idea, both the Chromecast Audio or Wiim things could work I think. Cheers!

Associate
OP
Soldato
I am chromecast enabled on pretty much all my speakers and use Roon as the software for multiroom music playback from Tidal as well as remotely (using Roon ARC). Roon also great for pooling together a mish mash of casting services into a single interface (though ofc you won't be able to group airplay speakers with chromecast speakers).

Associate
Cheapest option if you don't mind unsupported used stuff would sonos zp100/120 from CEX. You're limited to just gen1 sonos, but they sound OK have a built.ik amp and are about £50 each.

Soldato
If you fancy a bit of a DIY approach then check out Volumio. I’ve been playing about with Raspberry Pis connected to powered speakers in one room and a stereo amp in another. Sound quality is excellent for not a big layout.

Soldato
Wiim Pro plus in every room with integrated amp. Or Wiim amp

Shout out for the Wiim Pro.

I own the Wiim Pro (not the plus) and feeding it's digital output into Arcam IR DAC with linear PSU. From the Arcam DAC into a Yamaha A-S1200 into Fyne Audio F502 speakers, Wiim Pro is connected via ethernet. Can't fault the sound quality of it's digital output, the Android app is easy to use also.

Apparently however the analogue output on the Wiim Pro measures terrible, if you require analogue output the Wiim Pro Plus is the one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shout out for the Wiim Pro.

I own the Wiim Pro (not the plus) and feeding it's digital output into Arcam IR DAC with linear PSU. From the Arcam DAC into a Yamaha A-S1200 into Fyne Audio F502 speakers, Wiim Pro is connected via ethernet. Can't fault the sound quality of it's digital output, the Android app is easy to use also.

Apparently however the analogue output on the Wiim Pro measures terrible, if you require analogue output the Wiim Pro Plus is the one.

yeah PP is a lot better.

Wiims also support softsqueeze so if you install LMS on your PC/NAS/PI then you can control the Wiims from Material skin app and use the superior LMS music scanner over stock DNLA service

Associate
OP
Decided to increase the budget and get some things that are flexible and should last:
-Wiim Amp downstairs for music and eventually films as I needed something to drive some tall speakers and it's single box approach.
-Wiim Mini upstairs for music (used).
-later: another Mini for the kitchen if there's some small active speakers I can find on the cheap.

Easy set-up and sounds great so far so thanks for pointing me in the right directions :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided to increase the budget and get some things that are flexible and should last:
-Wiim Amp downstairs for music and eventually films as I needed something to drive some tall speakers and it's single box approach.
-Wiim Mini upstairs for music (used).
-later: another Mini for the kitchen if there's some small active speakers I can find on the cheap.

Easy set-up and sounds great so far so thanks for pointing me in the right directions :)

What you can do later on move wiimp amp to other room the get avr etc

Back
Top Bottom