National insurance cut

fez

fez

Caporegime
Only record in absolute amount, as a rate we are under (of GDP). The population has increased and there are more old people.

The only play the Tories have with public services is under invest or damage until the point of selling it off or just selling it off. Then claim the market will decide and it will cost the government less.

Sell it off, spend the money, wait 10 years and find that we have paid more public money to the private sector who run it than we got from the sale.

Standard fare. Short term gain for long term pain.

Its OK though, in 20 years when the NHS is barebones and a very large chunk of the population are overweight, ill and old we will be fine no doubt. I genuinely have no idea what the country will look like in 30-40 years if we don't make radical changes. Too much bad immigration, declining health (physical and mental), growing wealth inequality, declining services, housing crisis, more and more people moving towards retirement with no savings and no home. Its going to be an absolute horror show.

Soldato
Public services decimated and in need of investment, what's the best solution? Cutting it even more for headline grabbing and paltry tax cuts. Coming from a man who described a fall in inflation equivalent to a tax cut.

We never learn.
Welcome to Tory Britain. If only you worked a bit harder and strived to be more like 'us', you'd be able to afford private health care, your kids would all go to private school and you'll never worry about the state of parks and public spaces when you've got a couple of tennis courts in the back garden of your second home!

Just stop being poor and you won't need public services!

Commissario
Before the 2% change came in, I worked out roughly how much it would be and added that amount to my pension AVCs so I don't actually see any benefit in my pay packet but my pension gets a few (and it is just a few) quid extra.

Soldato
It's a trap.... they are lowering the NI to try and appease the voters.

Red Pill... if you vote them back in, they will just put it back up later.
Blue Pill.. If labour gets in, they will have to put them back up to make ends meet, and get blamed for raising taxes.

personally I would prefer if the tax brackets got moved accordingly with true inflation.

Soldato
I'd rather pay the same/more tax and have a country that works personally.
Nothing stopping you and those who think similarly, making voluntary contributions to HMRC.

I see people say this a lot, and yet clearly very few are willing to do it. https://www.ft.com/content/4b3e6db0-e57a-11e7-8b99-0191e45377ec

Tax generally is outrageously high, I think it’s at its highest level since WW2. However simultaneously public services seem terrible, they are worsening. But I think the major cause of our problems ultimately stems from our countries economics, welfare, pensions, all of it being a Ponzi scheme. That in combination with our population not growing as fast as it was. Means we struggle. So one answer is to increase taxation, but then you’ll have high earners (and high tax payers) leaving the country to go elsewhere, and that fuels the issue even more with it all being a Ponzi scheme, you need more people not less.

Really someone needs to explain this to the population in a way most people can understand and then come up with a new system. Because it’s all gonna come crashing down at some point.

Soldato
Nothing stopping you and those who think similarly, making voluntary contributions to HMRC.

I see people say this a lot, and yet clearly very few are willing to do it. https://www.ft.com/content/4b3e6db0-e57a-11e7-8b99-0191e45377ec

Tax generally is outrageously high, I think it’s at its highest level since WW2. However simultaneously public services seem terrible, they are worsening. But I think the major cause of our problems ultimately stems from our countries economics, welfare, pensions, all of it being a Ponzi scheme. That in combination with our population not growing as fast as it was. Means we struggle. So one answer is to increase taxation, but then you’ll have high earners (and high tax payers) leaving the country to go elsewhere, and that fuels the issue even more with it all being a Ponzi scheme, you need more people not less.

Really someone needs to explain this to the population in a way most people can understand and then come up with a new system. Because it’s all gonna come crashing down at some point.

Personally I don't have an issue with paying higher taxes for a better service for everyone.
What I do have an issue with is paying the current amount of taxes for this government to **** it up the wall!

Literally, I would like to know who paid for the alcohol during the lock down parties in the government buildings. As when I worked for organisations that allowed alcohol during parties at normal times and meetings. It was the company that paid and I suspect the cost of the alcohol came from the "petty" cash boxes of the government.

That amount is tiny compared to other "projects" that they have wasted money on...
There's an list of them somewhere, I will try to find it and edit this post but off the top of my head;
The wrong type of satellite system purchased
The prison boats for holding migrants
The water cannons for riots
All the wasted PPE
HS2
BJs paid holiday that included a joyride in a fighter jet.

EDIT: a list is linked on this page

Last edited:
Associate
Oh look, another short sighted, short term attempt to sway voters right before an election.

I'd be happy with a tax increase if it was actually invested in public services, social housing, NHS etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Would rather NHS trusts were not declaring an emergency every weekend, having to wait hours and hours for ambulances, drug shortages, waiting months and months for operations (which is why we have so many people out of work.. so not contributing to taxes) and getting some of the roads fixed.
Instead we get tiny give aways in an election year which the country can't afford.

But that's just me.

Soldato
I saw a lovely sign up for a local private school 'VAT, What VAT?' Maybe these rich ***** should start paying VAT on the private education for their children and put that towards education for us plebs?

Associate
OP
Only record in absolute amount, as a rate we are under (of GDP). The population has increased and there are more old people.

The only play the Tories have with public services is under invest or damage until the point of selling it off or just selling it off. Then claim the market will decide and it will cost the government less.

And lets not forget they first promised to balance the budget, then they said it would take longer, then they didn't do it. And now we're at the highest tax burden in decades, the biggest drop in living standards in decades and average salaries lower than 2008 when adjusted (this will be true up until 2026 - nearly 20 years after. The ****!?). Nothing to show for it when we had all those years of cheap money.
We hear every year that tories will sell it off but that is fiction. At the end of the day there is only so much the NHS can do for an ageing population considering it is also a free service.

Soldato

Nothing... other than the important part after the word "tax" in the post you quoted:

I'd rather pay the same/more tax and have a country that works personally.

The latter is never going to happen with the incompetent morons we seem to keep voting in, so you'd have to be a bit special to do so. If someone's going to literally **** my money down the drain, it may as well be me!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom