National insurance cut

Soldato
1% of your gross pay

* after taking into account your personal allowance :)

I'd rather get the deficit down. What a mess we're leaving for future generations.

Agreed. Whilst I'm not going to complain about an extra few £ in my pay, it is only an extra few £, and to be honest I feel like I can afford that a bit more than the constant cuts this country is receiving to all public services.

On the flip side, I have zero trust in anyone in power to put that money to good use anyway, so maybe it is better off in our pockets after all :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
* after taking into account your personal allowance :)

Agreed. Whilst I'm not going to complain about an extra few £ in my pay, it is only an extra few £, and to be honest I feel like I can afford that a bit more than the constant cuts this country is receiving to all public services.

On the flip side, I have zero trust in anyone in power to put that money to good use anyway, so maybe it is better off in our pockets after all :(
so if someone is earning 70k what would difference be? previously it was £720

Soldato
Tax cuts are unsustainable, completely reckless move.

The IFS produced a report on which i'd recommend reading at least the bullet points before getting sucked in by Hunt.

Last edited:
Soldato
so if someone is earning 70k what would difference be? previously it was £720

Take your salary, minus your personal allowance (default is currently £12,570), multiply by 0.01.

E.g. if you're on £70k:

£70,000 - £12,570 = £57,430
£57,430 * 0.01 = £574.30/year, or £47.86/month

This is made more complex if you get any other taxable benefits, Student Loan etc. which can affect your personal allowance

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
I'd rather pay the same/more tax and have a country that works personally.

Absolutely.

If they really feel the need to cut tax, at least raise the thresholds so it benefits those who need it the most!

so I got extra £60 every month from Jan so with this extra 1% it won't affect me anymore?

If you got an extra £60/month with a 2% cut, then you'll get a further £30/month with a further 1% cut

Last edited:
Associate
OP
haha yes, forgot about that small print lol

that was a 2% cut, so 1%...which is what is being mooted... will be approx £360/yr (slightly crude as it doesn't take into account personal allowance)
but will that add on as extra? e.g. I am getting £720 at the moment so with this extra cut will I get £360 more?

Soldato
but will that add on as extra? e.g. I am getting £720 at the moment so with this extra cut will I get £360 more?

I assume by "getting" you mean "paying"?

Stick the figures on your latest payslip into this site, confirm it's close to what you're currently getting paid, then tweak to see what effect any cuts/increases will have:

Back
Top Bottom