Need a Gaming Headset - Then look here first

Caporegime
OP
It's USB DAC only. It's a valve DAC for that lovely tuneable tube sound.

Check out the official AUNE T1 thread, also created by myself.

I'm going to pair it with a schiit vali some time next month only because my mixamp cannot drive q701's and needs to be double amped so I will connect the vali to both the mixamp and aune when switching between console (mixamp) anf pc (aune t1).

The built in amp is very good and for most people will be fine for any headphones it's just that my mixamp is weak so I need the vali so I may as well use it with the aune t1 as well

Associate
Thanks OP for introducing me to the V Moda Boom Pro a product I didn't know existed till today; finally I can use my Fidelio X1's for gaming :)

sorry for the double post - internet got stuck :-/

Last edited:
Soldato
Sonny can we work on updating this a bit.

Teh clouds should be on it since it's a sticky

Also perhaps include a bit about DAC/Soundcard options maybe?

I have no problem updating it if you don't have time btw I just figured it would be nice to ask rather than just jumping in and editing your stuff.

Caporegime
OP
Sonny can we work on updating this a bit.

Teh clouds should be on it since it's a sticky

Also perhaps include a bit about DAC/Soundcard options maybe?

I have no problem updating it if you don't have time btw I just figured it would be nice to ask rather than just jumping in and editing your stuff.

You are better off doing it. I don't have much spare time and fell away from the scene. It was getting too expensive and I realised once you hit a certain bracket, the higher end stuff only does things marginally better.

That's why I haven't reviewed the DAC/AMP's you sent me, apart from build quality (which was immense) and features, I could only tell marginal differences between a £150 setup and a £300+ one in the sound department, it was cleaner but I think I prefer a coloured sound a tube DAC gives. It just feels a lot more natural to my ears and more pleasant. Whereas solid state feels too clinical and clean.

I think the <£200 is worth buying the higher end stuff your just paying extra for little gain. I had a hard time seeing how I could justify buying a Asus Xonar Essence if I had the cash, apart from it was built and packaged very well and had plenty of features.

Soldato
I've actually gone back to my Aune T1, I'm using it (with a Mullard tube) to feed my Schiit Vali - not only does it sound excellent, it also doesn't pick up EMI from my USB, which is more than can be said for my Modi.

Soldato
Hi guys Im still undecided as was going to get the dacmagic plus but after reading this thread Im liking the Aune t1 for my DT770s or am I better getting a seperate Dac and amp

Soldato
It depends, the DACMagic will give you a cleaner sound that is more like the original recording while the Aune T1 is designed to colour the sound by using a tube buffer stage between the DAC and the amp. You can tweak the sound signature by changing tubes, known as "tube rolling". The standard tube that comes with the T1 is quite clean with more pronounced highs and a wide sound stage, more like a solid state amp to be honest, while the one I fitted, a Mullard 6DJ8 (cost me £8 used off ebay) has a more intimate sound stage (though not confining) and smooths out the highs and leaves the Sennheiser HD650s sounding laid back, relaxing and velvety smooth while not losing out on any detail - which is just how I like them.

The reason the T1 doesn't pick up the USB interference like the Modi is that it has an external power supply and the USB power isn't even connected.

The DACMagic Plus also has external PSU so shouldn't be susceptible to the EMI either.

Caporegime
OP
Back on again can someone rcommend the best palce to get the Aune T1 Mk2 would the rainforest be a safe bet

that's where I got mine from but I went through flubit for a bit of a discount.

Have a read through the Aune T1 thread on here, has a lot of useful info.

I have tested gear worth up to 5 times the price and the AUNE T1 is nothing to be laughed at. I have a schiit vali too but that will mainly be used with the mixamp and not the Aune T1.

I have the mk2 and rids has the mk1, the only difference is it supports more frequencies and/or bit rates and has a USB timing synchronisation to help keep everything on the right track iirc.

the differences aren't huge but obviously the mk2 is slightly better but it isn't a noticeable difference in terms of sound i bet they both sound the exact same, just has a couple of additional features.

Soldato
You get the 6922 with the T1 and where you go from there is entirely up to you. Tubes can cost anywhere from a fiver to a couple of hundred and hunting them down on ebay can become a hobby in itself.

The 6922 has a large sound stage and doesn't roll off the highs, so should be a good match for the DT770. Sonny really liked the Voskhod Rocket (6N23P) which can be had around a tenner. They are great for rock and have a ton of energy but I found the sound stage too constricting but people who really like an intimate sound stage may love it.

There is a huge (6500 post) thread on the Aune T1 on Head-Fi and tons of information on which tubes are the best and how they shape the sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq

Caporegime
OP
tube rolling is addictive, stick with stock for about a month to get used to the sound, then get yourself a rocket and see if you can notice the difference (you should easily be able to).

after that i would buy a couple more but don't get too crazy, remember just enjoy the sound and forget about perfecting the setup, once you have a couple of different decent cheap tubes (£10-£20 each) that is all you need.

i wouldn't even bother looking at the £50+ tubes or the likes, no point imo.

Back
Top Bottom