Need help with a PCN...signage on the opposite side of the road

Associate
As a country boy I'm completely baffled at a road being restricted during certain hours. Are you supposed to enter the area from somewhere else? Also, would they have to manually review every car from the footage? Seems like a job worse than that of a parking warden. Seems like a lot of costly infrastructure for a couple of left turns.

The heavy lifting will be done by ANPR. The local authority will have a database of registration plates of all authorised vehicles. In the context of these restrictions authorised means vehicles specifically authorised by the local authority. Its not the same as "except for access".

Soldato
I think someone would have to monitor this one tbh. ANPR wouldn't know if a car is going in or out. It's a pretty dumb system.

In London they have an army of people watching for things like people stopping 1mm over a box junction or touching a bus lane. Such a huge waste of resources.

Now they are having to hire people to stop locals trashing ULEZ but that's another story.

Last edited:
Associate
I think someone would have to monitor this one tbh. ANPR wouldn't know if a car is going in or out. It's a pretty dumb system.

In London they have an army of people watching for things like people stopping 1mm over a box junction or touching a bus lane. Such a huge waste of resources.

Now they are having to hire people to stop locals trashing ULEZ but that's another story.

There won't be someone manually checking every single registration plate. It'll be ANPR, with verification on any hits.

Soldato
All they would need is a second camera. Which one was triggered first is all they would need to determine if you were entering or exiting the turning
It looks like it already has two cameras anyway, the black and white image appears to be the ANPR camera and seems to be framed so it can only see the part of the road you enter, to stop it picking up exiting vehicles. The wider angle CCTV presumably there primarily to provide additional proof the car made the manoeuvre into the road.

Almost like someone thought about this sort of thing already when they were installing the camera system :p

Soldato
It looks like it already has two cameras anyway, the black and white image appears to be the ANPR camera and seems to be framed so it can only see the part of the road you enter, to stop it picking up exiting vehicles. The wider angle CCTV presumably there primarily to provide additional proof the car made the manoeuvre into the road.

Almost like someone thought about this sort of thing already when they were installing the camera system :p

Actually yes, you can see the 2 cameras in the OP's streetview image, one about half way up the pole, the second 3/4 of the way up

Man of Honour
According to the news reports those restrictions are quite successful at shifting the congestion and pollution on to other areas... a lot of which is probably caused by the parking :s

Soldato
good point - so, part of Sadiq's anti rat-run strategy, how long has it actually been there.

ANPR picture is probably re-framed on the number plate, alone it takes multiple shots that would identify direction of travel

Caporegime
I could totally see myself missing that sign. There are so many signs on roads and I've never seen a sign like that for what looks like a normal junction but you can't go down it during the day?

Soldato
OP
I could totally see myself missing that sign. There are so many signs on roads and I've never seen a sign like that for what looks like a normal junction but you can't go down it during the day?

I'll happily admit that I don't take much notice of anything other than the speed limit, to my detriment this time.

Still not got a single point in 17 years of driving, though.

Caporegime
I'll happily admit that I don't take much notice of anything other than the speed limit, to my detriment this time.

Still not got a single point in 17 years of driving, though.

How many miles and where do you drive a year though? Saying no points in 17 years needs a little context when say bob goes 5 miles up the same road and back every year but has a clean licence for 20 years whereas Micky who is all over the country in his van doing 30000 miles a year has 3 points for speeding.

At least now you might learn not to trust your nav and maybe scope out the area on Google maps before you leave. If you are driving to something of significance it might surprise you that the road signage will tell you where to go better than the nav will!

Soldato
OP
How many miles and where do you drive a year though? Saying no points in 17 years needs a little context when say bob goes 5 miles up the same road and back every year but has a clean licence for 20 years whereas Micky who is all over the country in his van doing 30000 miles a year has 3 points for speeding.

At least now you might learn not to trust your nav and maybe scope out the area on Google maps before you leave. If you are driving to something of significance it might surprise you that the road signage will tell you where to go better than the nav will!

About 10k a year. Quite a few of those miles are up and down the A3 into central London, which is rife with cameras.

Back
Top Bottom