Need some inspiration for garden / shed placement

Soldato
I've got a new build with the typical rubbish, small, shady garden.
I want to add a decent sized shed (was thinking approx 4x2 meter), and a patio area. If the remaining patch of grass ends up in an always shady part, I'll probably have to replace it for artificial.

I want some input into what would be best;
Shed across the rear of the garden - best visually, but that's where the sun is in the evening.
Shed to the left of the photo against the brick wall of the neighbours garage - will stick out passed the kitchen window and could look out of place, but allows the patio to be built at the end of the garden.

Photo of said garden
HKMDQhO.jpeg

I've done a quick sketchup to show measurements
QRv1Bge.png

The back door faces east. I've only been here since December so don't know how much stays in shade yet - but so far, the right hand side of the photo is always in the shade.
This photo was just taken - approx 10:30
YFCt4NO.jpeg

This photo was taken last month (24th March) at 15:40
leGRFFW.jpeg

Associate
Personally if you are adamant on a 4 x 2 shed, I think it can only go at the end of the garden. Having it block Kitchen window even if a metre or so away, will not look right. However at the end of the garden it will be tight with 5 cm spare either side. For the size of garden, I would rethink the size of shed.

Associate
The shape of those gardens look poor and very sporadic. Can you share a google maps aerial image of the house and garden (obviously removing identifying location details)

Thinking depending on cost.(cost to update land boundary on deeds)Land swap with Neighbours to try and give all involved a more uniformed shaped garden.

On Left there beside garage wall. you take that square of land at the garage to make yours more square than rectangle. Then the neighbour gets same area of yours near your existing shed

This would then allow you for your shed to be ar enough back to not impact kitchen window

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
4mx2m is just an approx size. I just want something big enough for storage and be able to work in there. My old shed was approx 9.5m2 which was nice to have.
All houses behind me and to the left in photos are unsold.
No aerial pics on Google - too new.
Will grab another pic

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Storage would be power tools, hand tools, garden tools, BBQ gas etc etc. Mainly my DIY stuff.
Decking is an option instead of a patio, but the shed placement is the main concern to figure out first.

This is what I built last year at my old place - see if I can share directly from Google photos, Imgur is broken again...

Don
How big is the existing shed? 5' x 4'?

I think a 4m x 2m shed is going to look ridiculous in such a small garden.

Personally I think an 8'x6' (2350x1750mm) or 9'x6' (2650x1750mm) would be the best option to the left next to the wall, that way it won't come out past the fence and won't come too close to the window.
Putting it there should also give you a bit more privacy towards the window

Associate
Personally i agree with Armageus, i would be doing an 8x6 or 9x6 shed in that corner next to the garage, the 6ft size will almost be spot on with the fence so the garden will have nice lines and i don't think it'll look bad from the kitchen window, esspecially if you stain the shed and fence the same colour. It also means you can connect the door to a patio area next to the house or put in a small path to existing if you want to have a patio at the back. You'd still have just under 3m between the shed and the house or 2.7m if you went with the 9ft. Although expensive, i'd be going for something like below, it has extra height vs their "normal sheds" which are already a good 20-30cm taller than the "cheap" sheds you find around. At 2.4m for the apex, its pretty generous to work in and have a bench under the window side while using the roof height for more storage / hanging items etc. Not that its that hard, but it also would be slightly easier to get electrical to for some sockets if you were that so inclined

Last edited:
Associate
Going down the bottom in the winter would suck too unless you have a path, which lessens your garden more. With all the buildings light will be limited a large portion of the year regardless.

Soldato
OP
I'll probably build the shed, but will look at the cost of buying a decent one.

Once I know the size and location for the shed, I'll be adding a patio/decking/pathing as required.

I'll stick some examples in sketchup and see what they look like, cheers

Don
12' is too long imo, it's going to block light to the kitchen window and just makes the garden look even smaller than it is.
8ft or maybe 9ft at a push will at least leave a bit of space at the wide end of the garden and stop it feeling so enclosed

Apex roof rather than pent will also look better imo

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah, I agree; it does look better in the models. The apex roof will be more difficult to build, but will bare it in mind.

I need to get the tape measure out tomorrow to visualise the size easier

Soldato
I'd probably fill up that section where the tiny shed is currently, it's not like you're spoiling the unblemished natural beauty view or anything.

I personally don't think an 8x6 shed is big enough to work in if you're storing anything as well, that's the size of my garden shed and it's fine for tools and the mower and odds and ends but there's no room left for a decent work bench or anything.

I'd probably make it 4m wide and as deep as you think looks ok so at least 2m to make a useful space.

Back
Top Bottom