New 120Hz/"240Hz" VA monitor for gamers (Eizo Foris FG2421)

Associate
OP
:eek:
You don't pay much attention to monitors, then? VA is one of the three main LCD panel types.
Might not have gotten as much glory as the IPS recently, but it's indeed one of the big players.

Soldato
:eek:
You don't pay much attention to monitors, then? VA is one of the three main LCD panel types.
Might not have gotten as much glory as the IPS recently, but it's indeed one of the big players.

Nope I dont :p Only seen TN and IPS panels.

Would love to see a TN, IPS & VA side by side in person, Then have a few fps's playing on them and purchase deciding on that.

I have the xl2420t atm and whilst its great for the likes of bf3/4, The colours look so washed out in general use its horrible, Is this 240hz VA panel likely to feel as smooth as the xl2420t whilst having much better colours?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
plenty of VA panels still being produced, especially from BenQ who are affiliated to AU Optronics, the primary manufacturer of VA technology. eg BenQ GW2450HM, GW2760HS etc recently

Associate
OP
@StonedPenguin, with regards to smoothness and colors:
At least the reviewer at flatpanelshd seemed quite pleased with the result. Though bear in mind, they are more focused on TV tech, and don't have as refined testing methods (nor expectations) as the more specialized computer monitor review sites.

Also, this is apparently the first consumer-grade 120Hz VA computer monitor. If you have the patience, there will surely be others to follow in the near future (like 6 months, maybe less?). And the prices will hopefully come down a bit, too. Though considering the current price of 120+Hz TN monitors, I don't see the price coming down THAT dramatically, as VA is indeed still a superior tech. But a £50-£100 price reduction might be possible with lower tier brands. Unless, of course, AUO wants to take over the market and starts to sell the panels with a really low margin, then they might get even lower in price.

Associate
It's actually 23.5" diagonally ;)

Yes, I have taken that into account with my size/bezel comparison.

I have the xl2420t atm and whilst its great for the likes of bf3/4, The colours look so washed out in general use its horrible, Is this 240hz VA panel likely to feel as smooth as the xl2420t whilst having much better colours?

Oh Yes! This is a huge step in monitor tech. TN panels are horrible for image quality. Now imagine the motion clarity of your XL2420T in Lightboost mode, the the color, contrast and black levels of some of the best displays out there?

I've already ordered three.

Associate
ordered one .. £455.94 GBP delivered ouch.
But I'm selling my 19' IIyama monitor a corsair psu and lian li pc60 case to a mate for £100 got a bargain...to make up the difference from the benq was about to order :) Lian li pc60 remember those :)

Associate
ordered one .. £455.94 GBP delivered ouch.
But I'm selling my 19' IIyama monitor a corsair psu and lian li pc60 case to a mate for £100 got a bargain...to make up the difference from the benq was about to order :) Lian li pc60 remember those :)

Yeah, remember them well. Removable motherboard tray was a great feature, I'm still using my Lian Li PC60b variant, unfortunately a bit small for my current setup, will be replacing it with a Corsair 650D in the near future.

Anyhow getting back on topic, I'd be very interested in your opinion of the monitor when you get it, so let us know what you think.

Associate
Doesn't screen tearing usually occur when your FPS is higher than your refresh rate? Don't think you'd need to worry about G-sync at 240hz, lol.

I think G-Sync is meant to have a noticeable affect to how smooth things are when frame rates are lower than vsync.
Don't know/understand why though.

Soldato
I think G-Sync is meant to have a noticeable affect to how smooth things are when frame rates are lower than vsync.
Don't know/understand why though.

My G-SYNC article might help you understand the reasons why it smooths things out for lower frame rates. :) I would also recommend anybody reads that article if they think screen tearing is only a factor if your frame rate exceeds the refresh rate. It's to do with lack of synchronisation between what the GPU is doing and what the monitor is displaying and occurs at lower frame rates than the refresh rate as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any chance of OcUK getting these in? I would buy one if it's priced around £400 for pre order, I love VA panels I'm on my 3rd consecutive one lol. ;)

Must be a crap manufacturer, poor screen, as you only get a 5 year warranty with it...
Eizo website said:
EIZO’s five-year warranty is two years or 67% longer than the standard three-year warranty of most brands.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nope I dont :p Only seen TN and IPS panels.

Would love to see a TN, IPS & VA side by side in person, Then have a few fps's playing on them and purchase deciding on that.

I had a VA Panasonic LCD telly in 2008, and it was gorgeous, viewing angles matched my plasma in all honesty.

Soldato
Its a half way job, they forgot to make it 27inch and 2560x1440 :)

There aren't any 2560 x 1440 VA panels and the number of people who can maintain 120fps at decent details at that resolution is very slim. Most people will be glad that it doesn't cost considerably more and have a resolution that makes the 'Turbo 240' strobing backlight impractical. That functionality really needs a very high frame rate ideally matching the refresh rate to work properly.

Back
Top Bottom