New 120Hz/"240Hz" VA monitor for gamers (Eizo Foris FG2421)

Associate
Mate ive been told by OCUK support it should be an adaptor? Are you 100% it should be a lead because i dont want to get fobbed off. Im already getting told i had 14 days under DSR when my email says 28.

Typical.... I cannot even use the monitor to test the picture and they are asking me if i want to keep it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry bro, I forgot I used the bloody cable already at my desk lol.

Listen to OCUK.

Permabanned
It is ok i found on tftcentral that it should be a kettle, I do not think there is a such thing as an adaptor because to bundle a kettle lead is no problem. They are £5 online and you can even get what hi-fi type kettle leads for £20. It says cleaner picture, Not sure if i want to test this snake oil or just get a bog standard kettle. Apparantly they are made by Clearer Audio. The only thing i think i need is UK to 3 pin IEC kettle.

I have to say though everything else looks mint it is one sexy monitor and it feels so wide compared to my 20" 16:10 that i have fogotten about 21:9 already.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Heh did you not see the one about the £1500 kettle lead? I am getting one sent out though free by OCUK, And my DSR will be extended by courtesy to cover for a few days until i get the cable and monitor going so all in im chuffed at OCUK. :D

I just need a graphics card now.

Associate
If anyone is thinking of spending £20 or more on a kettle lead, I'll send them a free one, I've got a box full upstairs in my spares cupboard.

Just like the £20 one from cleaner audio, none of mine will improve your picture quality :D

Associate
This thread still going! :) My Monitors still working its on 12 + hours a day everyday but haven't gamed on since buying it...bf4 was a major let down £2500 down the drain not getting used like it should ( maybe I'll go and try again hope they fixed all the bugs

Permabanned
CTE is apparantly amazing, What the £2.5k get you 3x Foris in portrait with 780Ti/290X SLI? That must be pretty jawdropping to fly with. The only problem is SLI = DP ports no single card option otherwise i might of thought about it more.

Associate
Hello all, having had this Monitor a few weeks now I am honestly not impressed with the colours, My 3 1/2 year old 120hz Dell AlienWare had better, these colours seem a little washed out, does anyone else feel the same ?
Or am I missing something with the settings ? I have tried the defaults.
Cheers all
mrix

Associate
OP
@mrix:
If your new VA panel is losing to an old TN(*) panel in colours, then yes, you are most probably doing something wrong. Or alternatively, your unit is defective.

(*): I'm assuming TN, as you're stating 120Hz, which 3.5 years ago wasn't possible with IPS or VA

Soldato
Hello all, having had this Monitor a few weeks now I am honestly not impressed with the colours, My 3 1/2 year old 120hz Dell AlienWare had better, these colours seem a little washed out, does anyone else feel the same ?
Or am I missing something with the settings ? I have tried the defaults.
Cheers all
mrix

When I had dealings with this screen (no more, long story), I too thought the colours were quite lacklustre for a VA panel. Especially so compared to my Dell IPS, but also compared to my old Dell (which is VA based I believe), and my big Samsung TV which is also VA.

It's this that is putting me off trying the new ROG swift as it's TN. I'm guessing I will be appalled given my experience with the Eizo?

Associate
Hello all, thanks for the replies, this was my old monitor which was just over 3 years old which has now given up the ghost...
http://euro.dell.com/ae/en/gen/moni.../pd.aspx?refid=monitor-alienware-aw2310&s=gen

Having used the monitor for so long I could easily see that the colours were not as good when I have played games and looked at videos.

If anyone uses custom settings which work well for them please let me know.

Thanks all
mrix

Permabanned
On the web peoples pictures look fine but they are calibrating the set. My cable will be here tomorrow so i can finally get down to opening mine and checking but ive prepared myself to do a few things:

First would be making sure we are using the right RGB so go into the display osd and try using displayport and auto AND rgb full because there could be some sort of conversion going on with Nvidia? Is it possible for the monitor to convert limited to full this way and mute colors? This is the only thing i can really suspect in the settings as it is well known Nvidia have displayport color issues.

RGB full User 1 and adjust the color temp manually and try gamma at 2.2 or 1.8. I would take a look at the settings people use and try to match them and if all else fails go into custom colour mode and start with the three rgb sliders. From the abundance of reading i did on the different forums red should always remain at 100. You should bring green and blue down to the point where your whites are white and not pink/green/blue and try to get as far up without getting those tints.

Associate
you are most probably doing something wrong. Or alternatively, your unit is defective.

Hello and thanks if I do have a possible defective monitor how would I know? very difficult to compare unless I had two monitors the same etc?
Is there any tests I can do ?
Thanks
mrix

Associate
OP
Well, there aren't really any concrete "tests" to confirm. You would have to just play around with the settings and try to get the best possible picture. If it's not possible to get a good picture no matter what you try, then there might be something wrong with the hardware. But usually it's just that the settings are wrong.

- Try to find discussions where other users have stated their settings with this monitor, and start from there. It won't necessarily be perfect, but it should be a fairly accurate point to start, so you can finetune from there. Here's one from an actual review site: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/eizo_fg2421.htm#calibration --- If you haven't already, you should probably read the whole review to get some further insight of the ins and outs of your monitor.

- Here's one link where you can try to further calibrate/finetune the monitor by your own sight: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ --- Not really as good as professional hardware calibration, but should suffice for consumer grade usage.

- Also remember that the colors aren't supposed to "pop", even though some people like it. If you have even a fairly mediocre camera, you should take a picture of something colourful on your surroundings. Preferably the scenery outdoors (with some random objects here and there), so that the room lights won't conflict with the light output. After that, try to set the colour settings so that the image and the reality are as closely matched as possible. Also make sure there aren't any color effects or "filters" enabled in the camera.

Associate
Hello all why in normal use like browsing the web or watching videos would it be an idea to use a different connection like Display Port or HDMI, I understand the Monitor will refresh at 60hz but would the picture image be improved at all????
Thanks
mrix

Soldato
Can anyone post a picture of calibration report for the colours on this... They look average in review I read, also what is the input lag on this like? Can you notice it at all?

Associate
Can anyone post a picture of calibration report for the colours on this... They look average in review I read, also what is the input lag on this like? Can you notice it at all?

I have just got one of these and I have not noticed any input lag at all. I play a lot of FPS.

Back
Top Bottom