New 120Hz/"240Hz" VA monitor for gamers (Eizo Foris FG2421)

Soldato
I'm questioning it simply because OCUK have been dealing with some recent returns by charging a fee. Surely that's easy to see :confused:

Probably using this:

A deduction can be made if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of you handling the goods more than was necessary.

The extent to which a customer can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop.

Soldato
But you cannot overclock this monitor so if it has problems it should be a full refund or replacement.
Exactly. It 100% should, without question.

The new regulations haven't been in place that long either, I'm sure we'll see more cases of fees being charged soon.
This is true, but they are actually clearer and more precisely laid out, unlike DSR which were somewhat cobbled together and less clear about certain things. Furthermore, they actually give more power to the consumer! As with most things in life, we all just need to EDUCATE OURSELVES and know what our rights are! You can't expect any company to tell you, why would they? There is no law stipulating that unfortunately.

Caporegime
You can't expect any company to tell you, why would they? There is no law stipulating that unfortunately.

OCUK are regarded as pretty much the best for customer service for computer hardware in the UK, I doubt they would want their reputation tarnishing by being outed for lying to customers about being able to charge a fee, specifically when staff members are telling people this on a public forum.

Soldato
OCUK are regarded as pretty much the best for customer service for computer hardware in the UK, I doubt they would want their reputation tarnishing by being outed for lying to customers about being able to charge a fee, specifically when staff members are telling people this on a public forum.
Well there is a question as to how much THEY are aware of the law as well. Ignorance works both ways unfortunately. And again, it will come down to the specifics of the return in question. I say again though, if they are issuing blanket statements saying that they will charge a fee for returned items (which I haven't seen any evidence of), then that would be misleading (deliberate or not) and illegal. I agree their customer service is excellent... personally I have never had any issues with them. I am talking very generally here about the law and consumer rights.

Caporegime
I never said NirK would be charged a fee either, I said OCUK may issue him with a fee. I know if he returns the monitor in like new condition with everything there it would be very unlikely but you never know. Just warning people that it isn't the same as before when you can just return an item without question.

Soldato
I never said NirK would be charged a fee either, I said OCUK may issue him with a fee. I know if he returns the monitor in like new condition with everything there it would be very unlikely but you never know. Just warning people that it isn't the same as before when you can just return an item without question.
That was NEVER the case if you'd clearly overused a product, as they would then have grounds to refuse or reduce the amount refunded... providing it was obvious and easily proved. This has just been more accurately spelled out with the new regulations. The onus is on the SELLER to prove this though, as it's always been... they can't just think it and say it. It is however 100% unequivocal that if you return something like new, you MUST be refunded in full. The regulations spell that out very clearly. You also DON'T need to give a reason for your return, as you're simply allowed to change your mind. It's called a 'cooling off period' for a reason. The regulations haven't changed that much... what people knew as DSR still exists, just improved and under a different name.

Last edited:
Soldato
Back on topic, I didn't have any cross hatching, backlight bleed or cloudiness on mine. It was made in Japan and apparently they've been less problematic than the German built units.

Input lag wasn't enough to whine about, a little more when you've got 240 turbo on but not enough to alter my KD.

Colours were slightly saturated, Black levels were great, didn't personally like the black crush though, it lost too much shadow detail for my liking. It worked best after warming up for about 15mins, the slight streaking disappeared then and the motion clarity (in turbo) was very good.

I swapped mine out for a Swift.

Permabanned
Same i actually got around to opening mine and i checked quickly for the RGB/FULL limited problems over DP and im properly in full mode and the blacks are stunning compared to my IPS. I have one dead pixel that only shows on a black background in the extreme bottom left out of sight thank god.

And very little to no cross hatching so far just the usual color/shift viewing angles which i can more than live with. Cannot wait to get this all setup and get a game running on it tomorrow but so far so good!

Soldato
I've asked elsewhere, but seems more relevant to specifically ask here....

I'm currently running a GTX 670 on a 22 inch 60Hz Asus monitor. The monitor itself is quite ugly, and I quite fancy an upgrade anyway so I've done some research and am leaning towards this...

Question being, am I wasting my money upgrading beyond 60Hz anyway?? I guess it could be a future proof upgrade, but am I likely to notice much difference considering I'm hampered by an old GPU?

Ta :)

Soldato
Yes, it's worth getting a monitor with a higher refresh rate. Your 670 can still play older stuff (source games etc) at 120fps and even in newer stuff you don't have to be hitting 120fps to see the benefits. Don't know if I'd recommend this one though, especially with the choice out there now and new stuff upcoming.

Soldato
I wouldn't risk one of these - way too many bad samples out there, just look back through this thread. I tried one for a week about a year ago but returned as it had a terrible band down the right side (not traditional light bleed but nearly as bad) and awful, awful ghosting issues.

With newer tech and monitors out/ coming out soon, I really would not advise this monitor today.

Soldato
Yeah, had advise in another thread to wait to upgrade both GPU and Monitor when new toys are out.
I won't be going top of the range but at least the current good stuff will be cheaper.

In the mean time, this is on a this week only £25 cheaper than it was yesterday.
I've gone for it for now, and I'll trade up as soon as its a good time :)

Permabanned
I am finally thinking of selling the one i have of these, It served me well for 3k hours but the lack of G-Sync is making me want to sell it. The panels immaculate as well one of the good ones its so clean i could stick it up as new on Ebay if i could hide the 3000 hours nearly up on it and had the original box. Do you think it would be worth £300 now still considering its immaculate? The pictures fantastic once calibrated also i have to say everytime i use it when a game holds 120fps solid my jaws on the floor 99% of the time.

:)

Associate
OP
I'd think you'll have trouble selling it even for £200. Unless the buyer is oblivious of technological advances, and only sees "120Hz", "240Hz" and "gaming monitor".

But bear in mind, that monitor is almost four years old. In essence, it was released before the 120Hz+ IPS panels became mainstream, and before the VA panels started gaining against IPS. Since then, both IPS panels and VA panels have progressed in terms of size, resolution, refresh rate and lag. And most importantly, adaptive sync technologies. Against today's gaming monitors, it simply doesn't hold its ground.

It is an Eizo, though. Eizo is more of a premium brand, so those maintain their value slightly better. You could indeed try £300 and see whether some unfortunate soul takes the bite. But if you want to move it faster, you need to set a more competitive price, probably £200 or maybe even £150.

Back
Top Bottom